stop recursive auto shrink

sohlinux

Hello,

I enabled recursive auto shrink on my external drive, I allowed it to run for a while then disabled it but it is still continuing to shrink files. how can I stop it?

also what is suppoed to happen to the original files because my hard drive is almost full so are the original files automatically deleted after they are shrunk? and the _shrunk files renamed?

Web interface version: 1.2.2-9
Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)

Last edited:
Try rebooting the Humax to kill all running processes

Backup copies of files are usually kept in the [Deleted Items] or _Original folders, you might want to remove the undelete package whilst doing mass updates (with the risk of losing something if a shrink fails.

reboot doesnt stop it shrinking

I see in internal drive deleted folder webif_autoshrink (55.3GiB) file. what is this file? it looks like its being copied from the external drive to the internal drives deleted folder. I am shrinking the external drive but soon the internal drive will be full if it keeps copying the webif_autoshink file. is there some cron running somehwere? I dont see any in root cron. I set auto shrink recursive from the sym link shown in the internal drive my videos folder which links to the external drive.

Last edited:
I deleted the webif_autoshrink folder and it appears to have stopped any new shrinking but it would be nice to know how to stop the shrinking from the command line by killing the running proces, but what is the process called? also what will happen if I remove the deleted folder. will it still copy to _Original? and still fill the drive if I leave it running overnight? thanks

If you flag a folder for autoshrink or recursive autoshrink in Web-If, it will place a small file in that folder called '.autoshrink' or '.autoshrinkr'. In Web-If>Browse Media Files you will see the flag as a shrink symbol and you can remove it by clicking on the options button. You can also remove the flag by deleting the files described above using FTP or a file browser. Without this file present shrinking will not take place; you don't need to kill a process to stop the shrinking happening.
If you have Undelete package installed, the original files are moved or copied to the [Deleted Items] folder for later deletion. When the operation is being carried out on the internal drive the originals are moved, with an external drive they are copied to the internal drive. You can uninstall Undelete, but if there is a problem you might lose a recording. Once you are happy that the shrink operations have gone correctly, you can delete the originals from [Deleted Items]. I would do them in batches deleting the originals in batches too after checking the shrunk copies.

thanks for the info. I removed the deleted folder package and ran auto shrink recursive again. there are no autoshrink or autoshrinkr folders or files being generated.
anyway it appears to be shrinking ok, it is unusual though as yesterday I was seeing some files called filename_shrunk but im not seeing them being generated today.

To clarify, in the example below, I have flagged the folder 'The Road to Rio' for recursive autoshrinking in Web-If: see the shrink symbol with the curly arrow (indicates recursive):
Webif1.jpg
Web-If will automatically shrink any recordings in this folder, and all folders within, in the background. This works because a hidden file called '.autoshrinkr' has been placed in the folder. Web-If displays this as the above flag but you won't see the actual file in Web-If:
Webif2.jpg
If you look at the same folder in a file browser you will see the '.autoshrinkr' file:
Browser.jpg
You only see this flag/ file in the top level folder and removing the flag will stop the recordings being shrunk.

It would seem to be a bug/feechur if recordings are being copied back to the internal disk just to be dust-binned it would be much better to create a [Deleted items] folder on the external disk since moving files on the same disk is very much quicker than copying between disks.

I never use an external disk and I suspect the prospect of files being processed on an external disk was not envisaged when the Undelete package was being created.

It also appear that once the auto process has detected the presence of one of the .autoflags it starts processing the entire directory without rechecking the flag between files so it is not easy to turn off the process in mid-run. It would be better to recheck the flags between each file.

fyi if you browse through the files on the external drive using webif the OPT+ menu doesnt show the shrink command so I used mount --bind to make a link to the external drive in the My Videos folder so now OPT+ shows all the options. no shrink backups are being made at all after I removed the deleted folder package but the shrinking has worked just fine . no errors.

Last edited:
It also appear that once the auto process has detected the presence of one of the .autoflags it starts processing the entire directory without rechecking the flag between files so it is not easy to turn off the process in mid-run. It would be better to recheck the flags between each file.
Great idea. I've got this working on my test box so it will appear in an update soon, thanks.

fyi if you browse through the files on the external drive using webif the OPT+ menu doesnt show the shrink command so I used mount --bind to make a link to the external drive in the My Videos folder so now OPT+ shows all the options. no shrink backups are being made at all after I removed the deleted folder package but the shrinking has worked just fine . no errors.
Sure. You are using file system tools to trick the Humax (and everything else) into thinking that the external drive is part of the internal drive. This has consequences.

webif 1.2.3 now does this, thanks again.

Back