Stopped playing encoded material

Re: shrink/auto-shrink, I don't recall selecting that and as they are available in the menu I assume not based on the fact I have selected recursive auto-decrypt on the "My Video" directory and that is now not available.

The problem hasn't occurred again, the first time was about a month ago and the second was a couple of nights ago.
As other people seem to have had this problem occasionally and there seem to be various suggested solutions none of which have worked for me, I wondered whether any of you people who know much more than me, could find anything useful from examining the faulty/corrupted file

I think it is unlikely. There are also no reasonable ways to send a multi-gigabyte file except as a data DVD through the post.

I hadn't engaged brain sufficiently enough to consider the file size :(

Would it be possible to view/edit the file myself with a suitable editor, I could easily copy the file to an old desktop I have running Ubuntu 12.04.
Is there a beginners guide to the file format/structure etc?

It's going to be an awful lot of work. Is it really necessary? Better to wait for the problem to occur again and monitor the circumstances to find out why.

Mine did this last night. I was watching an HD recording from BBC1 HD and it threw up that error message. I had to power cycle it twice before it would work properly again. After the first power cycle it started acting like it had a very poor signal. It kept breaking up until it froze completely. The second, longer power cycle fixed it.

Humax did it TWICE AGAIN last night, although this time, it just refused to play, giving the same error. It continued to record ok. It seems that it only happens when it is recording 2 channels and I'm watching a recording.... Ideas?

Humax did it TWICE AGAIN last night, although this time, it just refused to play, giving the same error. It continued to record ok. It seems that it only happens when it is recording 2 channels and I'm watching a recording.... Ideas?
Are you running standard or custom firmware? Are they HD or SD recordings?

Of the 2 instances I've had, the first was playing back an HD program when the box started recording 2 HD channels at the same time, the second was whilst watching a recorded HD program whilst a HD recording was in progress (playback started 10 mins after recording started). In both cases restarting using power button at back (even after off for 30 mins+) didn't solve problem. Fortunately they were both still available on iPlayer.

It has happened on one other occasion but that was when I was watching a program on an HD and SWMBO switched off the HDR :). On this occasion the file could still be played back.

Hi,

First of all a big thanks to all those who work on the custom firmware and the packages. Brilliant work!

I've had the "scrambled or unavailable" twice in the last couple of days.
Machine only 2 months old. FOX 2 HDR 1TB. Used space 18%.

Sunday night - HD playback while recording 2 channels - BBC1 HD and ITV HD
Powered off and on. Playback then OK
I ran disk check from machine - said OK, SMART check said OK, Using Custom 2.14 with 1.02.29

Monday night - happened again HD playback while recording 2 HD channels (BBC HD and ITV HD).
Powered off and on. Set the two programmes to record again. Watched rest of playback no problem.
Humax disk check says OK, SMART check OK - although airflow at 55C
Upgraded to CW 2.15 with 1.02.32
Added fix-disk package and ran it (no extra commands). Came back as all OK - apart from fixing some non-contiguous files?

Did another SMART check this morning and still says OK. Only noticeable thing is raw_read_error_rate is down from 182724400 to 65711952. Already air blasted fan area but temps still at 54C.

Seems to be a similar situation to others with the simultaneous HD play/record scenario.

Apart from trying to hammer the system with the same scenario to see if it reproduces the problem is there any way of checking whether the idea of the system being overstressed is the culprit?

Thanks for any further comments/ideas!

Humax disk check says OK, SMART check OK - although airflow at 55C . . . Already air blasted fan area but temps still at 54C.

Your Hard disk temperature is readings are O.K. You should be looking at line 194 Raw Value for the current Hard Disk Temperature not line 190. line 190 isn't supported properly on the Humax and usually displays 100 - (194 Raw Value) so I guess that airflow 55C is really indicating (100-55) = 45 Deg. C.
I have a 194 'Worse' value of 58 Deg. C if your value is higher than this then there could be a fan problem

Interestingly I'm getting same raw values for 194 and 190. Of the three tests I've recorded I've got 54/54, 56/56, 53/53

I'm getting a worst value on 194 of 56 so looks like that's not a problem.

Interestingly I'm getting same raw values for 194 and 190. Of the three tests I've recorded I've got 54/54, 56/56, 53/53
You may find that 190 'Value' rather than 'Raw Value' = 100 - (194 'Value'), either way you can ignore line 190 completely. If you have sysmon running you can get data similar to this showing the fan turning on at about 55 Deg. C
fan-on.jpg

This sounds similar to what happened to my Hummy last night, see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-my...y-out-blank-new-and-old-recordings-help.4255/. I was so relieved that it wasn't a hard drive failure but concerned about it happening again.

To throw in some facts for information gathering, my experience is: I am not running the custom software. I wasn't recording in HD. The only unusual thing about my recordings yesterday was the fact that I recorded all the soaps on ITV 1 and BBC 1 starting at 7.00 p.m. which is normal for me but also IACGMOOH at 9.00 p.m. on ITV 1 so maybe the continuous stream of 5 back to back recordings might have something to do with the cause?

Just to report that I've had what I think is an occurrence of this problem this evening.

We had been watching a recording of Pointless in HD from a few days back. While we were doing that the box started recording Masterchef - The Professionals on BBC2 HD. When we finished Pointless SWMBO wanted to watch the Masterchef episode from the day before, but got the "scrambled" message when she tried to play it from the media list. So she went to the portal (the standard Humax portal) and watched it off iPlayer (in HD).

While she was watching that, this evening's episode of Masterchef finished and the box started to record Getting Rich in the Recession in Channel 4 HD, and IACGMOOH on STV HD. When Masterchef on iPlayer finished she tried to chase play the episode being recorded but it wouldn't play (I can't remember whether she got the "scrambled" message, or the same symptoms as with the later failed recordings). She then tried to chase play Getting Rich in the Recession, again with no luck. Finally she tried to watch an episode of The Life of Birds that I had recorded off BBC2 HD at the weekend, and again got the same result.

At this point the box became completely unresponsive to the remote. The webif was still working, but the box wouldn't respond to remote commands from the webif. Nor would it respond to any of the front panel buttons. In the end I had to power-cycle it.

Following the power-cycle, we could play the The Life of Birds episode with no problem, but the truncated recordings of How to Get Rich… and IACGMOOH both failed with a black screen for about ten seconds, after which you the media list appeared again. (Both programmes were listed with the "lightning bolt" icon but I believe this is normal if a recording is interrupted by a power outage anyway.)

Unfortunately I deleted those recordings before I found this thread, so they're not available for any diagnostic purposes (maybe I should have the undelete package installed!) The recording of this evening's episode of Masterchef is still on the box: it plays OK, but it is only 26 minutes long rather than the 67 minutes it should have been. That means that the recording ends at what would have been 20:24 ie well before the two subsequent recordings where supposed to begin (those programmes started at 21:00) and before I power-cycled the box (which I think was at around five past nine, based on the length of the recordings which were unplayable after the power-cycle).

For information, I'm running the 1.03.06 firmware with the 2.19 custom firmware.

I've run a few of the simpler diagnostics and all looks well.

It's reassuring to know that others' past experience suggests that this problem is infrequent and transient!

On the 30th November last year (see post before last) I had this problem and last night it happened again. For information, this time I had 8 back to back programmes set to record which were:

ITV1 Emmerdale 19.00-19.30
ITV1 Corrie 19.30-20.00
BBC1 Eastenders 20.00-20.30
ITV1 Corrie 20.30-21.00
BBC1 Strictly CD 21.00.22.00
ITV1 X Factor 21.00-22.00
BBC1 Graham N 22.40-23.25
ITV2+1 Xtra Fact 23.05-23.35

I watched Eastenders then I started to flick through the first ten minutes of X Factor when the screen suddenly went black and the message "this channel is scrambled or not available" came up. This happened at around 23.10. Graham Norton only recorded for 30 minutes instead of 40 and The Xtra Factor only recorded for 7 minutes. Later, I powered off the Hummy and back on after I'd checked on here what happened last time. The previous recordings all seemed fine again.

Has there been any further research into what causes this problem or is it so rare that it doesn't warrant it?

Thanks Luke. I've had a look at the topic. I'll have to keep an eye on that one too. I still reckon the multi-recordings back to back has some bearing on this but who knows?

Back