stopping auto decrypt

how do i do this?? the last two days its just been decrypting stuff and makes everything so slow, never noticed it happening before and cant see it on webif package management at all. serves no purpose for me as i only watch recordings on the one hummy.
advice please

Go into Webif Browse and see which folders have an unlocked padlock icon against them, use OPT+ to disable Auto-Decrypt or recursive Auto-Decrypt
(You will also need to click on the parent link to see if you have the option set for the My Video folder itself)

thanks, i'll try that, i'm unsure as to why it started doing it, and it also seems to have begun the detect ads thing which i had never noticed before, ie some deplicate recordinfgs with crop written after it?

Ah, you didn't mention DetectAds before.

DetectAds needs to decrypt recordings so that the ads can be recognised, it has a number of processing options ranging from Chase processing where it processes at the same time as recording (creating the -crop files as it does), after recording completes or deferred to a time when the box is not busy.
Most DetectAds options don't depend on Autodecrypt being turned on (decryption is done within DetectAds) - which options are you using?

i've really got no idea, its been on webif for ages, since it was first developed and had done nothing, then all of a sudden two days ago it has started churning thru all my recordings and really slowing things up and eating up memory too, i've been deleting it as fast as i can!

can i stop it processing the already recorded programmes and ask it just to do the ones as they are recorded. as i said i dont know why its just kicked in now all of a sudden?

Last edited:
the files that immediately appear in the deleted items folder so that HDD doesnt become full with duplicate items, i assume these are the unencrypted files that are now replaced in the original folders?

Have you by any chance set recursive auto-decrypt on the My Video folder, even if by mistake? You need to click "Media" in the breadcrumb trail of the WebIF media browser to find out.

The recycle bin shouldn't be a problem, if you run low on disk space it starts deleting stuff itself.

wow, it looks like i have! i was fiddling about in there as i recently got a new pc and was trying, and failing, to get the auto shares thing working again, i must've clicked that button in error! well spotted!

now its done the whole HDD anyway should i just leave it ticked? not really sure what it means anyway!

detectads does its own decryption (as was said in post 4). However, the hard work of catching up the backlog has been done, so why not leave it turned on? Your recordings will then be proofed against the Fox's motherboard failing.

Most DetectAds options don't depend on Autodecrypt being turned on
Which implies that some do. So is not totally unambiguous with respect to whether it can be switched off or not for DetectAds to fully work.

BUT. Does DetectAds decrypt BBC HD when you have excluded BBC from DA? I suspect not, so autoDecrypt will be needed to decrypt that?

Last edited:
Which implies that some do. So is not totally unambiguous with respect to whether it can be switched off or not for DetectAds to fully work.

BUT. Does DetectAds decrypt BBC HD when you have excluded BBC from DA? I suspect not, so autoDecrypt will be needed to decrypt that?
The 'Automatically process recording following auto-decryption? (traditional)' Detectads option surprisingly only works if autodecryption is turned on.
Auto decryption is not required if using Chaserun, Sweeper or manually running Detectads.

The OP was only viewing recording from the Humax so does not need/want decryption of BBC programs

Could a check be put in to the auto-decrypt process to stop it attempting to decrypt 0 length .ts files please?
These happen when a recording fails, but the system still attempts every 20 minutes to decrypt what can't be decrypted, fails and generates moaning messages on the WebIf.

Back