Stopping OTA upgrades

robber789

Well, because of 'laggy remote' problems, I've rolled back to 1.02.32 and the custom f/w and started 'disable ota' but can someone please point me at what I need to do as regards epg updates?

rob

Not sure I understand the question, the Electronic Programme Guide automatically updates itself when the Humax is taken out of standby by the user, the EPG also updates when the Humax turns on to record from standby if there is no padded in place. the recent OTA firmware 1.03.12 forces an extra EPG update at 4:30 am every morning, but this is really only needed if the Humax is not turned on by the user regularly and scheduled recordings use padding

Not sure I understand the question, the Electronic Programme Guide automatically updates itself when the Humax is taken out of standby by the user, the EPG also updates when the Humax turns on to record from standby if there is no padded in place. the recent OTA firmware 1.03.12 forces an extra EPG update at 4:30 am every morning, but this is really only needed if the Humax is not turned on by the user regularly and scheduled recordings use padding

Well, in another thread I was advised 'If you go back to 1.02.29 and the CF be sure to install the disable ota and epg updates packages.' I've done the 'disable ota', but, like you, I didn't understand the ref to epg, so I thought I'd ask here.

rob

Well, in another thread I was advised 'If you go back to 1.02.29 and the CF be sure to install the disable ota and epg updates packages.' I've done the 'disable ota', but, like you, I didn't understand the ref to epg, so I thought I'd ask here.

rob

Later - I think I understand now - rolling back the f/w and custom f/w wiped my recording schedules, so I've had to reset them...

The recording schedule is usually only wiped after a re-tune, the Custom Firmware backs up the recording schedule and any favourites lists so you would be able to restore them with Web-If >> Schedule Events >> [scroll to the bottom of the screen] >> Backup Restore Schedule Recordings, see picture HERE

Do you mean disable-dso? Sometimes the broadcast network triggers a retune event, and firmware after 1.02.20 acts on the retune by default instead of waiting for user permission. Retunes sometimes only add services you are not otherwise inerested in, but delete your recording schedule (the custom firmware is now able to reinstate it automatically at the next boot) and can make a mess of your tuning (particularly if you are in an area served by multiple regions).

disable-dso is not 100% effective at preventing these, but it's better than nothing. Automatic retunes in firmware 1.02.32 and later are also better than they used to be.

Thanks both - I think I accidentally triggered a re-tune myself when I was 'fiddling' in the standard f/w settings, looking for an option to disable OTA f/w updates. This before I realized that the option is only available in the custom f/w.

rob

Back