Strange bug Humax Aura

JRS

Hi, I have a new Aura and wanted to install an Australian English voice for Text To Speech but when I click on install voice data in Settings the page loads with the full list of available languages and I can scroll down the list and each item is grayed to indicate selected but when I press the OK button nothing happens, it should load another page with a download voice option.

Has anyone else had this problem and do you have any suggested fix or workaround? Thanks for looking.

PS: I have turned the device off completely for 30 minutes and restarted the device to no avail.

To me greyed out means not available.
Is this a unit bought in Australia or somewhere else as it will have country specific features.

To me greyed out means not available.
Is this a unit bought in Australia or somewhere else as it will have country specific features.
Hi, no it was bought and used in the UK with English UK as the default language, gray is the default colour on selected items in android 9, thanks for your reply.

On my Aura scrolling through the language list highlights the chosen option in a brownish pink colour with the circle next to the option turned blue when O.K is pressed, if I press on English(Austrailia) a small white banner appears to the left of the list saying "Downloading language" If I then go to Accessibility - Text to speech it now says under Default language status "English (Austrailia) is fully supported"
@MikeSh It is not greyed out as such, the whole list is just presented on a grey background.

Last edited:
A picture would be informative.
Hi thanks, here is the photo. When I click the OK button nothing happens at all. It's wierd as it's an android built-in screen not a Humax one AFAIK. I'm waiting for Humax technical support to get back to me, will update the thread as and when I sort it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004-201739.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004-201739.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20
On my Aura scrolling through the language list highlights the chosen option in a brownish pink colour with the circle next to the option turned blue when O.K is pressed, if I press on English(Austrailia) a small white banner appears to the left of the list saying "Downloading language" If I then go to Accessibility - Text to speech it now says under Default language status "English (Austrailia) is fully supported"
@MikeSh It is not greyed out as such, the whole list is just presented on a grey background.
Thank you for replying, I have included a photo in the post above.

If Trog provides the same, we might see what's going on.

Manufacturers customise Android for deployment, sometimes quite heavily.
Yes that is what I asked the lady at support, she is going to find out if they have disabled voice installation without telling her but it would be outrageous if they have disabled such a fundamental partt of the Android eco system. I will be returning my Aura if they have. Will keep this thread updated when I find out more. All the best. John.

Hi thanks, here is the photo. When I click the OK button nothing happens at all. It's wierd as it's an android built-in screen not a Humax one AFAIK. I'm waiting for Humax technical support to get back to me, will update the thread as and when I sort it out.
Sorry but I cannot provide a pic at the moment. My sequence was open Aura home page-Settings-Device Preferences-Language-English(Australia) . The home page is visible throughout that process with a grey panel covering about a third of the page on the right showing the settings. I did not enter the google list that you are showing in your pic as clicking on Speech services by Google was set to "Use system language" however if I click install voice data then English(Austraila) it opens a page giving Size 16MB and 5 voice choices, clicking the remotes OK button plays a sample of the voice and clicking OK again gives the option to keep or delete that choice.
P.S None of the choices sound like Kylie if that's any consolation.

Last edited:
Sorry but I cannot provide a pic at the moment. My sequence was open Aura home page-Settings-Device Preferences-Language-English(Australia) . The home page is visible throughout that process with a grey panel covering about a third of the page on the right showing the settings. I did not enter the google list that you are showing in your pic as clicking on Speech services by Google was set to "Use system language" however if I click install voice data then English(Austraila) it opens a page giving Size 16MB and 5 voice choices, clicking the remotes OK button plays a sample of the voice and clicking OK again gives the option to keep or delete that choice.
P.S None of the choices sound like Kylie if that's any consolation.
Thanks for the info, very helpful, it's that last stage screen with the 16mb 5 voices that is missing from my setup. 👍

Hi, I have a new Aura and wanted to install an Australian English voice for Text To Speech but when I click on install voice data in Settings the page loads with the full list of available languages and I can scroll down the list and each item is grayed to indicate selected but when I press the OK button nothing happens, it should load another page with a download voice option...
I haven't got an Aura, so this is just a suggestion based on other android device.
On the
Text to speech output screen, you can select different languages. Did it also have the option to play the selected language? If so, does the playback not match with the selected language? The selected language should download in the background.

I think the '16mb 5 voices' screen appears when you dig into
Text to speech output/preferred engine/(cog)/Install voice data/English(Australia)
This will allow user to manually download or uninstall language

Eg the section How to Manage Android Text-to-Speech Voices and Options
https://www.lifewire.com/use-google-text-to-speech-on-android-4767200

Last edited:
on the grounds that it is not fit for purpose.
That's very shaky ground. It's purpose is to provide PVR and catch-up functions, which (so far as I know) it does well enough. Otherwise we could all sue Microsoft for every last little bug in their software.
Anyway I'm sure it won't come to that.
Let's hope not.

Thanks for the info, very helpful, it's that last stage screen with the 16mb 5 voices that is missing from my setup. 👍
Just a stab in the dark but somewhere in one of the many permissions options have you got something disallowed that is causing that final page to not load ?.

Ok here is an update, ps: I'm an android developer with published apps on Google Play so I should know how to solve this issue but I don't 😀

I can access the voice download screen if I use TalkBack to click on the list of available voices, however I cannot scroll further than the first eight available languages using this method. Without using TalkBack I can scroll all the way to the bottom of the list.

The Accessibility Shortcut "Back & Down" keys pressed for 3 seconds also does not work.

I'm going to have to do a full format and reinstall to see if that works but it's such a wierd issue. Will update you all when I have done the full reset.

PS: Just tried using a Bluetooth Keyboard and the issue is still there so not a Remote Control issue.

Last edited:
Just a stab in the dark but somewhere in one of the many permissions options have you got something disallowed that is causing that final page to not load ?.
Hi trog, I did think of that but I couldn't see anything obvious in the permissions. And as you can see from the above post I can access the download screen using TalkBack so not a permissions issue.

Thanks for the info, very helpful, it's that last stage screen with the 16mb 5 voices that is missing from my setup.
It's that using the Humax entry method, per trog's earlier post, of still going through the Android interface?

It's that using the Humax entry method, per trog's earlier post, of still going through the Android interface?
I was able to partly access the voices using TalkBack via the Android interface.

WORKAROUND / SOLVED

I was able to access all the voices on the Android interface list and choose between male an female voices but only by attaching a Bluetooth Mouse to the Aura.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I will factory reset at some time so may update again in the future.

All the best to you all. John.

Back