Strange default on start up

dragnil

This has been happening for about a week - whenever I switch on Hummy it now starts on BBC Red Button Chan 850. It used to start on the channel in use on shutdown (I think) but certainly not this. I've just upgraded to 1.03.12 and latest Custom Firmware but it's no different (thanks for the hand-holding instructions!).
Of course it's not critical but it's annoying to be unable to understand what's going on and why. Any ideas please?
David

You must have the disable-ota package installed and it has been recently updated. With the recent OTA download from Humax, it was found that some users received the update even though they had this package installed. For full protection against OTAs it is necessary to set up a reminder to bring the box out of standby at the time that an OTA would usually be transmitted and so the updated package does just that. By default it sets it to wake up on a data channel (red button channel) so that there is minimal disk activity and no audio output. This means that when the box is put back to sleep after the OTA window this data channel remains selected.

You have a few options:
  • Edit the reminder that it has created to select a different channel - you can use the standard Humax on-TV menus for this;
  • Install and configure the poweron-channel package to set which channel the box should select whenever it is powered on;
  • Uninstall the disable-ota package and then delete the reminder. This will remove protection against OTAs - you could watch for when another is to be transmitted and reinstate the package if you desire.

Or...

• Go into the WebIF settings and turn off the Reminder option - this will make disable-ota only partially effective (but maybe 98-99%, it's difficult to assess the exact figure).

The OP must also have auto-update installed for this to have shown up.

Crikey, that sounds complicated - but many thanks for the swift response. Just going to the fangsnatcher but I'll have a closer look on return and let you know. Thanks again.

Sorry, BH, when I wrote this I didn't realise it would be a result of the Custom Firmware.

Now, the problem for mere mortals is that we rarely going into these uncharted waters, so, when we do, we can't remember what we did, where we went etc etc (no, I'm not a teenager!) ;0)

I'm following all the comments above and the image shows what I've got/done, so any further recommendations will be gratefully received.
Brian - you made me look again at something I've never tackled - instead of a manual tune would the same be achieved by editing the channels? Would Chan 850 simply disappear? I've never tried it even though I never watch that channel. Hope all that makes sense and doesn't sound like a geriatric swimming through treacle (which I am).

David

Attachments

• Hummy.JPG
    Hummy.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 12
The problem is that if you have services listed in the 800's you don't know whether all your services sub-800 are from the same transmitter, a condition essential for reliable recording. Yes you could just delete all the 800+ services, but without confirming the source you have no idea whether you are actually deleting the right ones.

See Things Every... (click) section 2 and follow the link to instructions for manual tuning. It's not that difficult, and you can use the WebIF to backup and then restore your recording schedule afterwards.

OK that's very helpful, I'll read the ref tomorrow and give it a try. At risk of repeating myself - thanks, this is one of the best forums I know.

Back