Stream a recording that's recording

leecavturbo

I got this PVR as I was told it could stream a recording while it's recording it ( say at lag of 30secs ).
Can this be done?
Yes I have CFW

Who said? The short answer is no; you would have to have detectads running and set for chase decryption, and then maybe it might be possible. Where do you want to stream it to?

Be aware the 'Fox is very easy to crash if you take too many liberties.

You would have to either find the temporary name given to the recording in the DLNA index for the purpose of chase decryption and use DLNA streaming, or find the decrypted file being written and access that by file sharing. I recommend trying the former, because with the latter you have a risk of outrunning the decryption process during playback.

As far as I know, detectads is the only current means to access the chase decryption mechanism (normally decryption is only queued after the recording completes), and you would be tapping into that.

Frankly, it would be easier to use catchup services.

As far as I know you can't stream live video using the humax DLNA server.
DetectAds is not going to help you, you would only get to see the portion of the program that has been currently processed at the time you started watching.

Last edited:
As far as I know you can't stream video using the humax DLNA server.
Would you care to explain? I think you mean live video, I'm talking about the recording file. Auto-decryption works by streaming the file through the DLNA server. To implement chase-decryption, a dummy entry has to be created in the DLNA database to index the current recording file, and then its DLNA index is fed to wget in order to fetch a decrypted version of the recording. An external client could do that just the same, if it knew what the index is.

Would you care to explain?
If you use wget or curl on a file that is still growing you will only get the data that exists at the time you start!

I tried to find real streaming but was unable to find a way to achieve it so wrote chaseget to produce a stream.
The chaseget package works by simulating streaming, it waits a couple of minutes before starting curl (1) to retrieve the first segment of the file until it reaches end of file and then waits 30 seconds before retrieving the next file segment and piping it into the next program, repeated until file stops growing.
It could be used standalone if you just need decrypted output without the ad detection.

(1) curl is similar to wget but is used instead because it supports starting at a specific offset which is needed to retrieve the recording in segments.

Hmm. Well, you should to know! (I might have a little play myself to satisfy my curiosity)

I got this PVR as I was told it could stream a recording while it's recording it
So, like I said, who told you that? Perhaps they should join this discussion and explain how, 'cos we don't agree.

It is possible on the FOXSAT-HDR, which I understand does not have an encrypted TSR buffer (or encryption can be disabled with Nowster's patch) so gaining access to that (with CF) means delayed access to the live stream - don't rush out to buy one until this is positively confirmed. The TSR buffer on the HDR-FOX is encrypted, so of no use.

Back