Stream or download recordings over internet

xav

Hi,

I've installed the customised software and using the various useful guides on this site I'm able to stream or download recordings on to my PC, Tablet and mobile phone.
I can only do this through my home network, does anyone know if there is a way to do this over the internet? So if I was abroad or maybe even on the train I'd be able to stream or download programs that have recorded at home. I thought by maybe somehow synchronizing my Humax FTP server with an Ftp server on the internet, but have no idea how to do this.

Thanks
Xav

Hi Xav,

Streaming may not work too well as the bandwidth will be limited on the uplink from your home network, but you can download quite easily from the WebIf so long as you have a few hours to spare. Just browse to the .ts file you want to view, click opt+ and choose download. You can also extract to MPG first either via the opt+ or set the folder to auto MPG extract. MPG files are smaller, but I've noticed that they are also not quite as good quality on the video.

Hi Cancunia,

I'm aware of the webif and how to download and stream wirelesly over my home network and also am aware of how to download using the built in ftp server (incidentally over my network I can download a film in less than 10 minutes). My question is how can I do this when I am outside my home network, i.e over the internet away from my home. I don't believe typing in the humax ip address over the internet from another location will pull up the webif.
Thanks

My question is how can I do this when I am outside my home network, i.e over the internet away from my home. I don't believe typing in the humax ip address over the internet from another location will pull up the webif.
You connect to the external IP address of the router and forward the relevant ports from the router to the Humax. If you do not have a fixed external IP address then a service like dyndns will be helpful. As others have said if you have an ADSL broadband connection then the download speed will be much higher than the upload speed and this may be the limiting factor on what you can achieve.

What about if the error correction bits are stripped out without being used in the transcoding?
Would that mean if it wasn't a perfect recording then if the error correction bits are totally ignored there would be a difference between a TS and a transcoded mpg version?

There is no transcoding. The MP2 stream is within the TS container, it just gets put into an MPG wrapper instead.

What about if the error correction bits are stripped out without being used in the transcoding?
What error correction bits? RS and Viterbi are history by the time the .TS file lands on the disk.
There is NO transcoding between .TS and .MPG - it is just repackaging of the elemental streams.

Would that mean if it wasn't a perfect recording then if the error correction bits are totally ignored there would be a difference between a TS and a transcoded mpg version?
Irrelevant.

Back