Stream to HDR from NAS?

flemmo

Hi,

I know it's possible to stream the contents of the HDR to any other device, but what I really want to do is to get the HDR to see the content of my NAS. Is this possible?

The HDR can only 'see' recordings made in it's own native .ts format (which are actually 192 byte packet .m2ts streams) and each one must be accompanied by the two corresponding sidecar files .nts and .hmt.
There is something currently under development to allow the mounting of a NAS using cifs, but unless the media on your NAS complies with the above format then no, it would not be 'seen' or playable by the the HDR.

Raydon, could you clarify this for me please? If I have a recording made by/on my Humax Freesat box in .ts format and I then moved this .ts file and the two corresponding sidecar files .nts and .hmt. to my NAS, could I then play this recording back from the NAS via the freesat box at a later date? If so, how does the freesat box see the NAS and it's files? Thank you in advance.

Raydon, could you clarify this for me please? If I have a recording made by/on my Humax Freesat box in .ts format and I then moved this .ts file and the two corresponding sidecar files .nts and .hmt. to my NAS, could I then play this recording back from the NAS via the freesat box at a later date? If so, how does the freesat box see the NAS and it's files? Thank you in advance.
Sorry, it's not possible at the moment but there is something under active development using cifs to mount the NAS as a virtual USB drive. Providing that all three files are copied over to the NAS, then the HDR will see, and play, the recording as though it was on a locally mounted USB drive.

To clarify mentioned development, will it be possible to 'mount' the drive from another Foxsat as a virtual USB (as opposed to a NAS)? Will this be achieved via the network or a cable connection? I know I can play Foxsat content on a Fox, but Foxsat to Foxsat would be great!!
Cheers...

To clarify mentioned development, will it be possible to 'mount' the drive from another Foxsat as a virtual USB (as opposed to a NAS)? Will this be achieved via the network or a cable connection? I know I can play Foxsat content on a Fox, but Foxsat to Foxsat would be great!!
Cheers...
Providing you have samba running on the other HDR you should be able to stream content, or copy, from one HDR to the other over the network using the HDR's own on-screen interface.

Hi, Raydon,
I've set this up - two Foxsat HDR's on the same network both running your Firmware and Samba. With one HDR showing on the TV, I'm not sure through which menu I would 'see' the other HDR's files...or have I misunderstood your answer above to my original post?
Many Thanks..

You won't see anything at the moment because the NAS mount plug-in is in beta test and has not been released yet. When it is, the other HDR's share will be available via Media button, then Red Button to change device, and select USB1.

Hello, Raydon,
Did you manage to release the NAS mount plug-in mentioned above. Is this included in CFW 4.0.9 perchance?
Cheers.

Hello, Raydon,
Did you manage to release the NAS mount plug-in mentioned above. Is this included in CFW 4.0.9 perchance?
Cheers.
Sorry, but no. This plugin is being developed by adrianf36. He is snowed under with work at the moment which takes him out of the country a lot of the time so you'll just have to be patient.

Fantastic, Adrian! A big thank you for putting so much effort into this. I've upgraded to firmware 4.1.0 and installed NASMount with no problems. Just one question though, I've been onto my HDR on my TV, brought up my media, changed the device from HDD to USB1. My NAS is detected and I get the folder list as expected, but none of the folders contain any files to play.

So for example, '24' contains 2 folders: 'Season 7' and 'Season 8'. The number of folders is correctly detected (see attached 1.jpg - sorry I can't post links yet as I'm too green!)

But go into that folder and it doesn't contain the season7/8 folders or any files (see attached 2.jpg)

Maybe the NASMount was never meant to function in this way, so apologies if I've misunderstood ;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi. What files are in the folders? Are they native Foxsat files (.ts files) with associated hmt and nts sidecar files?

The Foxsat can only play and recognise files in its native format. You can convert other files to play on the Foxsat using raydon's excellent AV2HDR utility.

Adrian

Ah cheers Adrian. They are non-Humax AVI's so that explains it. It will be great to be able to archive recorded TV to my NAS though. Thanks again for all your hard work :)

Fantastic adrian - superb job. I can now set up a recording, record it, transfer it to my NAS and then download it from anywhere (patience required)... excellent!!

Yes, this is really the icing on the cake. Thanks for all your hard work.

Now, how do we get the network port to run faster!

Back