Streamed Content Record Quality

Yes. Presuming you are using custom firmware, set an iPlayer programme playing with the HiDef option - if you have a slow broadband it is likely to be very jerky, you can pause it if you like (or at least turn the sound off, or even change the TV to internal tuner). Once the WebIF media browser reports that the buffer has stopped growing, you can save it off.

However, that said, I tried doing this recently over a 2.5Mbps connection and it took ages, and had a few false starts (the result was an incomplete recording, start again - and you can't use skip forward while you are trying to capture the stream either - that leads to an unplayable file).

Thanks BH. I had been experimenting today without success. I rebooted my router and that seemed to do the trick. I am however puzzled to see that the .mp4 file is about half the size of the file I would have expected if I had directly recorded the same programme.

Just because it is "HD" in iPlayer terms, it doesn't make it full HiDef broadcast quality. Have you looked at the low-bandwidth version of iPlayer???

The HD that comes out of the iPlayer software is 720p so it's lost a bit of detail which is why it's more compressed than the original.

On the 1.03.xx version of the iPlayer that I've fallen in love with you default to HD always where available and if you pause it you can watch the bottom line move across the screen as it comes over rather than look at WebIf or any flashing lights that your modem might have. It was today that I spotted that the revised iPlayer gives you the moving line as you see on PC software.

The other thing about saving it, I think I'm pretty right on this, you must exit the player, then do the stream save and you put the name into the file box and press save, don't hit return. It works for me....

The other thing about saving it, I think I'm pretty right on this, you must exit the player, then do the stream save and you put the name into the file box and press save, don't hit return. It works for me....
No need to exit iPlayer, just as long as the file has completely downloaded.

No need to exit iPlayer, just as long as the file has completely downloaded.

Then its circumventing save by hitting return.... but no need to check Webif for download with latest iPlayer. Eye balling original creation times when the file was generated is also useful as a final check.

Then its circumventing save by hitting return....
I have not checked this (I am sure somebody will), but if I am reading you correctly this sounds like a bug in the WebIF stream save box if "Return" is actioning "Cancel" instead of "OK".

Eye balling original creation times when the file was generated is also useful as a final check.
Using betaFTP/Telnet? How is that easier than when the WebIF says the buffer is no longer growing?

Did I say that I wasn't using WebIf - no, I do use WebIf.

I think the missing recordings when it doesn't work is not waiting long enough for the screen to be painted with the download information rather than not pressing the save button. Hence why I have the ritual of reading the screen data before I save it.

I just simulated it. So I know that it plays up for me, but at least if I carry out the procedure above then it's fine, but I think the problem as said is when after pressing the save stream button one is too hasty and doesn't wait for the screen to paint it then doesn't do anything. One for af123 to comment on. Think it's event based programming problem - the button and filename box is shown ahead of the information being made available. The button and box are there but you can't use them successfully till after the stream data is painted in the box. Should I suggest that the button and the filename box should not be shown till after the screen paint appears ?. (I did use to do a bit of VB programming :))... mind you I could be wrong but I don't think so.

You need to read the text carefully.... around the saving of the stream not always working. af123 will know what I'm talking about. I don't have a problem as catnap appears to have that it doesn't always stream although may be his problems are a manifestation of the issue that I get if I'm too hasty at filing in the filename box and hitting return or pressing the save button if the filename details have as yet to be painted on the scream. With event based programming the click of the button triggers the programme to do what you ask, what I'm suggesting / saying is that it's not ready for this event of click or save if the screen is yet to be painted since the process is not yet ready, so it should go screen paint of filename details [bit rate, time of encoding etc as per what the BBC puts on it] then the programme should then throw up the invitation for the filename. I know I'm questioning I think af123's ability to throw up the screen in the right order but pretty sure this is where my issue resides.

Notice I laboured that explanation....

I had 2 problems. The first was that when testing for some reason I had a very slow connection (Sky - it happens sometimes). Solved this by rebooting the router. Additionally, I was trying to save before the stream was complete. Ignorantly I had imagined that if I filled in the file name details and hit save all would take care of itself when the stream was finished.

You should not click on 'save last streamed content' until after the file has stopped growing, if you do then whatever is in the buffer at the time you fill in the file name and press save, is what will be stored in the saved file. The save procedure will not wait until the file has stopped growing

You need to read the text carefully....
To say the least. Are you the scrivener for a law firm?

Paragraph breaks have a function in written English, just as the more obvious punctuation does.

This is friendly suggestion and advice you understand, not a "parent-child dynamic". Easily readable and clear questions are more likely to receive an on-target answer, and carefully written answers are more likely to become a standard reference.

Mind you I'm still sticking to my guns that you can enter the file name before the screen has been painted with the file details and you get the problem described that is different from the other issue of trying to save before it's finished downloading.

Hmm OK it's as I originally said that you can hit return and it doesn't work you have to click on save and then you get the twirly bit.

May be the screen is cunningly written to prevent you from seeing the save button since it moves away quickly whilst painting but you can get the filename in and hit return and it doesn't work. I rest my case that return and save should have the same effect.:)

Back