Streaming from HDR-Fox T2 to HDR-2000t in HD?

Hummy Gav

Hi I have a older HDR Fox T2 and I'm thinking of purchasing a HDR 2000t, but my question is can I stream from one to another in SD but more importantly HD recorded content, as one will be in another room?
This being done without custom firmware.

many thanks
Gav

2000T > HDR-FOX: StDef only, or HiDef as well via Foxy + move trick.

HDR-FOX > 2000T: Assuming the 2000T had a DLNA client, then StDef for sure and probably HiDef as well (although you might have to unlock it first).

I would be interested to know how you got on with this?

Currently I have an HDR-FOX T2 running custom firmware downstairs and a Toppy in the bedroom. I am looking to retire the Toppy (still working perfectly) and replace it with a new FVP-4000 but am undecided whether to simply replace the Toppy with the FVP-4000 or put the HDR-FOX 2 upstairs and the FVP-4000 downtairs which would be my ideal scenario being hte newer machine and having the on-demand features.

My main goal is to be able to watch HD content from either machine on the other (without any intervention e.g. Foxy + move trick), so I am wondering from Black Hole comments that it may not be possible.....

Experience of the 2000T will be irrelevant for the FVP-4000 - you need specific information for that. Experience of the 2000T is that you are not able to stream HiDef from it without trickery... but how that applies to the FVP-4000 is unknown and you should not make a purchasing decision based on that.

OK, thanks.

I am definantely going to get a FVP-4000 once the 1TB model is available so will post my findings when I get it as to what happens. If it doesnt do what I want then I'm not too bothered really, but it would be nice. Main reason for giving up the trusty Toppy is to get HD upstairs.

Experience of the 2000T is that you are not able to stream HiDef from it without trickery... but how that applies to the FVP-4000 is unknown and you should not make a purchasing decision based on that.
Sorry it is known. You can't stream HD content from the FVP-4000 as standard; whether or not tricks will emerge to allow it remains to be seen.

No need to be sorry about it... if the relevant information has been posted it has slipped my mind. A link to the post would have been helpful.

Sorry it is known. You can't stream HD content from the FVP-4000 as standard; whether or not tricks will emerge to allow it remains to be seen.
Nope, I just had a look in the 4000 section, and there is no information about the detail of its streaming capability. I therefore stand by my previous statement (with the implied qualification on this forum). I cannot vouch for what may have been posted on other forums, and we await first-hand reports from early adopters on this forum.

I therefore stand by my previous statement (with the implied qualification on this forum). I cannot vouch for what may have been posted on other forums, and we await first-hand reports from early adopters on this forum.
I find it ridiculous that you think that the whole of human knowledge has to be posted here before YOU think it has any validity. The information that I was supplying came in a response to a question of mine over on MyHumax.org from Barry who has had one of these boxes for a lot longer than most.

Experience of the 2000T will be irrelevant for the FVP-4000 - you need specific information for that. Experience of the 2000T is that you are not able to stream HiDef from it without trickery... but how that applies to the FVP-4000 is unknown and you should not make a purchasing decision based on that.
The FVP-4000T will play HD recordings from the HDR-FOX T2 via DLNA, but the ones that I have tried were decrypted.

The FVP-4000T will play HD recordings from the HDR-FOX T2 via DLNA, but the ones that I have tried were decrypted.

Thats good to know as I have my HDR to remove the decryption flags so it looks as though I will be able to stream HD one way at least which is good.

I find it ridiculous that you think that the whole of human knowledge has to be posted here before YOU think it has any validity. The information that I was supplying came in a response to a question of mine over on MyHumax.org from Barry who has had one of these boxes for a lot longer than most.
It was the tone of your response that is the problem. Had you said that according to xxx on yyy the 4000 will not stream HiDef, that would have been acceptable. You chose to make it a personal attack.

You do not need to decrypt any recordings in order to stream them by DLNA from a HDR-FOX - the server decrypts them on the fly when streaming them. The only restriction is that HiDef recordings are marked as protected in the DLNA index, and the server will refuse to stream protected recordings to a client without the correct credentials. The auto-unprotect package clears the protection flag.

The HDR-1800T/2000T refuses to stream protected (HiDef) recordings at all, but is perfectly happy to stream them if they are manipulated to clear the protection. This can be achieved by FTP manipulation of the .hmt file, and then forcing re-indexing by moving the recording to a different folder or renaming the file set (thanks to wiredcharlie for that tip).

Whether the 4000 can do the same awaits confirmation.

Steppy. I thought you'd like to know that you can stream HD recordings from your T2 to your 2000T and you can also do it the other way round. I just foxy the .hmt file as normal. Then on the HDR remote move the video to a different folder. Once done it becomes available for streaming or transfer. The same is procedure is used for both HDR's.

I can't vouch for streaming HD video on wifi though. Never tested it as my base network is a 1Gbit cabled to the HDR's and computers. The wifi is only used by my android devices and printer.

Last edited:
I can't vouch for streaming HD video on wifi though. Never tested it as my base network is a 1Gbit cabled to the HDR's and computers. The wifi is only used by my android devices and printer.

This works as well, but only tested to my lappy. VLC plays the HD streaming video perfectly on the wifi link from my router so can watch HD anywhere in the house. Haven't tried my android tablet yet.

My second T2 has arrived. Factory reset it and formatted hard drive. Manually tuned in. Ready for CF upgrade which I shall start shortly.

Even HiDef only requires a few megabits per second, so the network is not going to be a problem.

Processing power to decode HiDef may be at more of a premium. VLC on my (oldish) notebook PC struggles with HiDef, although Splash Lite runs fine. My 3rd-gen iPad can't cope either.

Back