Streaming from the HDR-FOX - is there a 4GB limit?

Subject: PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE: Firmware defect affecting HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2
To: uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk;

Date: Saturday, 10 December 2011, 12:46

Dear Sirs,

I own HDR-FOX T2 and HD-FOX T2, both of which are updated to their respective latest versions (1.02.20). The purpose of owning the HD-FOX is to stream media from the HDR-FOX as per Page 39 of the HD-FOX manual.

I have found that, when using the HD-FOX DLNA client to stream content from the HDR-FOX DLNA server, playback sometimes ends before the end of the recording. The recordings play properly to the end when played back locally on the HDR-FOX. The common feature when playback ends prematurely is that the recording file exceeds 4GB in size. The playback terminates at a moment in time which correlates with the expected position of 4GB into the file (for example, a 5GB file which should be 4 hours terminates at roughly 3 hours 12 minutes). This happens whether the original recording was in standard definition or high definition (a high definition recording terminates playback in less than an hour). It happens at precisely the same point in the playback of any particular recording, every time.

In order to explore the problem, I set up a DLNA server in a NAS box and transferred some content to the NAS. Content streamed from the NAS to the HD-FOX exhibited exactly the same characteristics as when streamed from the HDR-FOX, and also when streamed to the HDR-FOX. Thus I can be sure that the DLNA client function in the HDR-FOX is affected the same as the HD-FOX.

To verify that it is the client not the server at fault, I also streamed the same content from the NAS and the HDR-FOX to XBMC running on a PC. The playback using the XBMC client continued to the end without premature termination.

In summary:

1. There is a firmware fault common to the DLNA client of the HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2 which prevents these devices accessing data beyond a 4GB limit when network streaming.

2. That this fault has been seen in two devices shows that it is not a hardware failure.

3. That the same DLNA server does not show the fault when streaming to a different client shows that this is a fault with the client and not the server or the network.

I postulate that an error in the coding has caused a 32-bit variable to be used for accessing the network data. 32 bits can only index up to 4G-1.

I submit to you that the current firmware in the HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2 is not fit for purpose.

Regards,

Just spotted this thread - I have encountered similar problems on my HDR-FOX-T2 which has a 500GB HDD being used with a Synology NAS drive. No problems on DVDs (Std Def) through my Sony BD370 or through windows Media player on my laptop. No problems when using using my Hummy as a DLNA Server (although admittedly, I have not used this much). However, using the Hummy as a DLNA client (only been using it with Std Def so far) is when the problems arise, towards the end of the video after no problems up to that point - the Hummy then freezes.

So, Blackhole, thanks for raising this issue with Humax, I'm very interested in their response.

In the interests of proven facts I have just double checked my NAS and can confirm I have a 4.6gb file of a backup of a Shrek3 DVD and it definitely plays OK to the end- so not a >4gb HD file but more than 4gb nevertheless. The films I thought I'd streamed weren't HD after all - but when I have time for the copy to finish I'll get an HD movie on the NAS and prove it one way or the other.

I wanted to update this because after all the other evidence contradicting what I'd found with my Shrek backup I just checked it again because as it stood it looked like I was the odd one out but I'm not. It does play to the end of the film - but not the end of the credits!! As per everyone elses findings it does cut off before the end of the file (proven by checking on my laptop) but as the file was only marginally longer than the film I first thought it was stopping at the end of the file which happened to be before the credits had finished rolling, but no. So I can remove the last bit of evidence that appeared to go against BH's findings. Now I need to look for the thread that covered making networked drives work like they were USB drives so I can carry on watching stuff to the end on my NAS!!!! (I presume that would work around the problem?...)

Now I need to look for the thread that covered making networked drives work like they were USB drives so I can carry on watching stuff to the end on my NAS!!!! (I presume that would work around the problem?...)

Yes it would - I now have an HD so I'm going to write a package to make setting up and maintaining network shares easy (configuration through the web interface). I originally intended to use the HD as a DLNA client but not being able to watch to the end of a 1 hour HD programme means I'm going to cross mount them to each other and decrypt what I want to watch upstairs..

Yes it would - I now have an HD so I'm going to write a package to make setting up and maintaining network shares easy (configuration through the web interface). I originally intended to use the HD as a DLNA client but not being able to watch to the end of a 1 hour HD programme means I'm going to cross mount them to each other and decrypt what I want to watch upstairs..
Cool - just to confirm would this also improve functionality because the Hummy could write sidecar files back onto the NAS if it was fooled into treating it as a USB drive? And you'd get more file support for the same reason? My recollection is that playing files off the box (and via USB too?) has been accepted in the past to be much more forgiving on formats than DLNA. Before I stray any further on this thread I'll go looking for the other one...

[EDIT] This was it...http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/best-way-to-share-content-with-nas.654/#post-9461

According to a post over on MyHumax.org Humax have acknowledged that the 4GB problem with the DLNA clients exists. I assume this means a fix may appear in due course.

That topic seems to have the Humax ear. You could perhaps mention that this bug means it does not function as advertised?

That topic seems to have the Humax ear. You could perhaps mention that this bug means it does not function as advertised?
I wrote to Humax Support and have received a reply. FYI... (with name removed for privacy):

Dear Sir

Thanks for the information. We have only recently been made aware of this issue and have not fully investigated it so cannot advise yet on when a fix can be in place. The issue is to be looked at so we can advise further in the future.

Kind Regards,

xxxx,

Thanks. They never bothered to reply to my email, I wonder if that's what they mean by "recently been made aware"!

Thanks. They never bothered to reply to my email, I wonder if that's what they mean by "recently been made aware"!
I was wondering the same. If a few others from this thread would chip in and e-mail them as we have, it would at least add weight and maybe even escalate the problem at Humax.

Came across this forum (only recently purchased HDR and HD). Have already sent email regarding streaming limit to Humax support - disappointed that have not as yet had a reply. Email content copied below:

Hi,
Please would you advise if the following is a known fault or that you would expect it not to be present and in turn enable this issue to be identified to either of the STB
· Recently Purchased HDR-FOX T2 and HD-FOX T2 (both having the latest Firmware installed)
· Networked via LAN / CAT 5e and though a Router
· HDR-FOX T2 is present on the network
Issue:
Media Streaming from the HDR-FOX T2 to the HD-FOX T2 fails or stops after approximately 1 hour. Source file was in HD recorded from ITV.
No other issues are present. I had purchased the package for this advertised functionality and would not necessarily want to return both boxes, if only one has a problem. It is difficult for me to identify which may be faulty.
I have tested both boxes with a Media Server (Twonky) held on a PC – but cannot seem to recreate the same issue. However , I only have a few source video files (DivX) and these are not HD (so there maybe a file size issue on the Humax)
Please would you offer some advice;
Is there anything else I can check – or is it a known issue which a future Firmware will fix ?
Alternatively if you can confirm the Streaming of HD media greater than 1 hour should work , which Humax model should be returned ? The Server (HDR-FOX) or the Client (HD-Fox)

We can clear up one of your questions to Humax, It is a bug on both HDR and HD units that effect it's ability to receive a streamed file bigger than 4GB. the serving (or sending) of a streamed file over 4GB from a humax is not a problem

To round this off, we now have an official cure in the form of firmware beta release 1.02.27. I have confirmed that it does not clip playback at 4GB. See HERE (click).

I never did get a reply from Humax, although it seems likely I helped to precipitate some action.

Back