Streaming from the HDR Fox T2

leicts26

Hello everyone

I have a HDR Fox T2 with custom firmware in my living room and I'm beginning to think about streaming from this to my bedroom TV over WiFi. Ideally I'd be looking for a small neat box to go alongside my bedroom TV and as it is a large room I would want something with a remote.

I have read on a few threads that getting a HD Fox T2 is one of the most commonly used ways of doing this. However, I did see a comment from someone who said that this didn't work as well as had been hoped. I was wondering if people who do use this setup could share their experiences before I get one.

Are there other "boxes" that I should consider? For example, I am planning to get a DVD player for the bedroom TV as well - are there any DVD players that people have used for this purpose? I saw that some are now marketed as "smart" - but after reading the reviews on Amazon it seems that they are not always as "smart" as they claim!

Thanks for your help.

No, HD-FOX is best for this (if you can get one). I don't know who said it doesn't work as well as they hoped, perhaps they were expecting the moon. Without CF the native DLNA streaming is adequate (StDef and HiDef), but with CF the remote HDR-FOX can be treated as if the recordings were local, complete with file management and deletion, bookmarks, resume play (even if the recording was last watched on the other machine...). The recordings have to be decrypted to play by network file sharing (but not by DLNA streaming - the 'FOXes do this out of the box).

I have two HDR-FOXes serving three HD-FOXes (and each other).

Typical media players struggle with the Humax TS files. My Blu-ray, for example, can "see" the Humax DLNA servers but will not play the content.

DLNA was not available in the early firmware - this might have caused a bad impression, but if so is thoroughly out of date.

Some of the forum users are playing with the Raspberry Pi. As a general purpose computer running Linux, it should be possible to make it work as a media client for the HDR-FOX, but I'm not sure anybody has it up and running yet (not for HiDef anyway).

Some of the forum users are playing with the Raspberry Pi. As a general purpose computer running Linux, it should be possible to make it work as a media client for the HDR-FOX, but I'm not sure anybody has it up and running yet (not for HiDef anyway).
It works fine - and HD was easier to get working than SD which required an additional hardware decoder licence. Other than experimentation I don't use it though, I have an HD-Fox instead which is definitely the best client.

Back