Streaming iTunes over wifi through HDR Fox T2 from laptop

A less expensive alternative to the Airport Express is a bluetooth music streamer like this one from Belkin. Hifi snobs would probably turn their noses up at it, but for casual listening the audio quality is fine.

Quite right. I have one of those too. I don't use it much, though, as all my stuff is mirrored onto a NAS. It's easier to play direct from that.

DRM disappeared for new purchases of music from iTunes a few years back, but I believe that stuff purchased earlier than that is still DRMed and cannot be ripped to MP3, though you can play it back on iTunes and record it in a different program.

DRM is still in place for videos. The iUniversity ones are not DRMed of course.

You used to be able to get iPrunes to download as MP3 by default but when my daughter tried recently she couldn't find that option. Anyway, a CD or Amazon is a better way to buy music.

Not quite clear what's the obstacle, or quite what you want to achieve.

If your music is on your laptop, then, assuming your laptop has wifi and you have a wireless router (else how did you post here?), you need to connect your FOX T2 to the network. Humax sell a wi-fi dongle for the FOX T2 for £29 (though it's out of stock), or you can get a cheaper (and available) equivalent. see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1537189 which also highlights some potential issues to avoid. You'll also need to run a media server on your laptop (I don't know what's available for OSX).

An alternative is to use powerline adaptors between the router and the FOX T2 (cheaper than AirPlay Express).

A further option (which I use as an alternative) is to use a USB over powerline adaptor (Netgear XAUB-2511) which includes an interface cable to plug directly into the hi-fi i.e. you can use your media manager of choice on your laptop and output wirelessly to your hi-fi rather than the laptop's speakers (no FOX T2 required). The Powerline kit is more expensive than Airplay.

And extending this last option, I use Teamviewer app running on my iPad to control the media manager running on my PC server so my choons sit on a NAS drive in the study, and I can wirelessly control the music which is streamed to the amp. I think this is a bit more than you were asking for though (?)

Not quite clear what's the obstacle
The obstacle is that the OP wishes to play networked media through the Humax but control the process from elsewhere. The physical networking is not an issue.

I use Teamviewer app running on my iPad to control the media manager running on my PC server so my choons sit on a NAS drive in the study, and I can wirelessly control the music which is streamed to the amp. I think this is a bit more than you were asking for though (?)
That is more or less exactly what the OP was asking for, but the Humax cannot support remote control in this way. Use its native media player using the local GUI (ie the TV screen plus physical remote or custom firmware web remote) or give up.

I have XBMC running on RaspberryPi and Xubuntu installations, and find the DLNA server and client both work. The hardest work is in adding the desired content to a 'sources' list. It has an advantage when using Win7 that DLNA sources seem to be easier to 'see' than SMB sources (shares).
What are you trying which doesn't work?

I can select the required media sources OK, no problem there. I can see the other DLNA servers, and select content on the local disk farm which I would like to stream to DLNA clients. That content plays within XBMC just fine, but I can't get it to stream. I go in to System -> Services and enable all the options in the UPnP section but nothing streams.

I also seriously dislike the way that it takes over the whole screen. Even if I could get it to stream anything, that would be a major show-stopper for me. I'm sure it's great if your intention is to create a dedicated media server, but for a shared use machine XBMC seems very awkward.

I can select the required media sources OK, no problem there. I can see the other DLNA servers, and select content on the local disk farm which I would like to stream to DLNA clients. That content plays within XBMC just fine, but I can't get it to stream. I go in to System -> Services and enable all the options in the UPnP section but nothing streams.

It sounds to me as if what you are requiring is the transmission of audio and video content, rather than the file access, which the DNLA affords to suitable network enabled players.
I think you'd have to approach this differently somehow.

XBMC 10.1 running under Win7

Settings >> Appearance >> Skin = Confluence (in case the skin matters)

Settings >> System >> Video Output >> Display Mode = Windowed (this gives you a window on the desktop instead of full screen)

Settings >> Network >> Services >> Share video and music libraries through UPnP

Settings >> Video >> Library >> Import video library (browse for stuff to add to the library)

After that - you're right, I don't seem to be able to make any contents visible to the HDR-FOX.

At what point do you mount the sources, so they look like part of the Windows filesystem(s)?
I don't see that you can expect to 'share' them if they're not seen as part of the owned file structure.

That's not how DLNA works. In theory, the server builds a database of available media and presents that when a client requests (if you have tried DLNA from a Humax you will know there is a difference between what you see on the DLNA index and what you see navigating the folders directly). Adding stuff to the library should have been the necessary step.

A less expensive alternative to the Airport Express is a bluetooth music streamer like this one from Belkin. Hifi snobs would probably turn their noses up at it, but for casual listening the audio quality is fine.

Good call. I forgot about Bluetooth. This pretty much solves my issue. I went for the 7 day shop one here

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-bl...yY2gvcmVzdWx0Lz9xPWJsdWV0b290aCtyZWNlaXZlcg==

which has good reviews, though really requires another cable to get away from the 6-inch minijack plug and into the hi-fi. Cheers for the suggestion...

HF

Strange that there's no solution out there by now! Got excited about DSBridge (converts output of the computer to an MP3 type file), but then realised it wouldn't work for a Mac. Found mention on the internet about creating a custom internet radio station with the output. But maybe Airport Express is the only solution.

Back