Streaming problems - [Solved]

excollier

For years I have been able to stream recordings from my Foxsat to my computer in the other room or to my laptop.
I only use Linux on all my computers and this has been a useful function.
I am in the process of upgrading my operating systems as they approach end of life ( I use Debian and Debian based operating systems)
Now when I try to mount the Foxsat filesystem in the file manager, I get "refused permission" or "blocked by software" messages.
My older OS (MX Linux 19.4) still works well, and has 11 months of support left, but I am mystified by why newer OSs are blocked in this way.
Has anyone any ideas why this might be so?

This is as far as I can get with it - cannot go into the Video folder to see what is there - I have no password protection on the Foxsat, so it seems permissions are blocking me, never a problem in previous years.

I can download recordings via the Webif, and then watch them but that defeats the purpose somewhat

foxsat.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the problem is the dropping of support for SMB1, because it is regarded as insecure. You'll have to find a way to re-enable it.

An alternative might be if the Foxsat CF has the nfs-utils package for NFS rather than SMB, but I don't know the Foxsat.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the dropping of support for SMB1, because it is regarded as insecure. You'll have to find a way to re-enable it.

An alternative might be if the Foxsat CF has the nfs-utils package for NFS rather than SMB, but I don't know the Foxsat.
I'm guessing it's SMB1 on the newer OS, right?
Looks like I'll have to keep running MX 19.4 for this purpose....

Last edited:
I think support for SMB1 is still available on recent versions of Debian but it is not active by default.
Try editing smb.conf to add
client min protocol = NT1
I'm using Debian 12, the very latest version, all I see in the repos is v 2.4.17.9
I'm in smb.conf but not sure where to add that line

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing it's SMB1 on the newer OS, right?
If you mean you need to add or enable SMBv1 support on the newer OS, yes. Like I said, recent OSes dropped v1 support completely, or at the very least disabled it by default so it has to be specifically enabled or installed if you particularly need it.

But like I also said, NFS might be an alternative if the Foxsat CF has it. The samba package only offers SMBv1.

Back