Streaming SD & HD Content ?

TomT

Hi
I'm about to buy a new TV for my office, the Sony 32'' KDL-32CX520.

Will I be able to watch SD & HD content from my HDR-FOX T2 across the network via this TV ?
Will the HD need to be decoded before I wan watch it and is there anyway to do that automatically ?

The short answer is no: although the DLNA service will be accessible from the TV's client, the reported experience is that the TV's media player is unable to decode the streams (not even StDef). We know of no TV or media player (other than another Humax) that can, the solution being to use a PC or a HD-FOX T2.

Relevant topic HERE (click).

Thanks for the reply, sorry it's taken a couple days to reply !

Can the HDR-T2 mount a Linux NAS Drive and then decode the files to that ? I can stream from that and I seem to remember my TV can view files from that :)

I don't want to use a PS3 etc for media play back as the TV will be wall mounted and there is no where for it to fit.

It is certainly the case that (using the custom packages) it would be possible to make the HDR think a NAS was a USB drive and make decrypted copies of recordings on it. The problem is whether your TV could decode the content of the resulting files (by which I mean whether it has the right codecs to understand and display the video/audio, even once the file has been decrypted). In our experience it won't.

My current Sony, can't play the media direct from the Humax.. Would it make any difference if the files were streamed from another device, or is it the file format ?

If it's the format, would it be possible to decode the files, and then convert and save then to a NAS Drive ? but do all this transparently with in the Humax ?

Decrypting is no problem, but transcoding to a different video format is too much to ask of the Humax and would have to be done on a PC. This is where on-the-fly transcoders (such as Servio) come into the picture.

Thanks.
It's a shame the Humax isn't using a format more devices can play.

I don't have a choice of adding a media player box etc, as the tv is being wall mounted and there is no where for it to go.

The format is exactly what is sent in the Freeview transmission, so don't blame Humax. The problem is media players (including TV ones) unable to cope.

Back