Streaming to T2 from a Mac?

Gerard Rogers

Is there a way to stream content from a Mac to the T2 - eg Spotify? Have the wireless dongle for TV portal which works fine, and have experimented with Twonky to play music from the computer, which works fine. But is it possible to stream too? Thanks

Be aware that some versions of Twonky cause the HDR to crash - see HERE (click).

Spotify is itself a streaming service, so what you are trying to do is send the stream on to the HDR-FOX? You need something that would specifically be able to do that, to act as a translator between the DLNA requests from the HDR-FOX and the web service you are retrieving the data from (or to be able to access the buffer that's being used on the Mac). The data would have to be the right format or be transcoded on the fly.

As far as I know Spotify is pretty secure, I doubt there are tools to do this, much less on the Mac.

have experimented with Twonky to play music from the computer, which works fine. But is it possible to stream too?
"Streaming" simply means delivering media content in a way that allows playback to start while the file is being transmitted, rather than having to wait for the complete file to be sent and then playing it. If you're using Twonky to play music, you're streaming from the Mac already. If you're asking can you stream video as well then yes, Twonky works fine for this on my HDR with my Mac. The limitation you may hit is on the types of video file that the HDR will play: .mpg files work fine, .ts files don't. I don't know about any of the more esoteric video file formats, never tried them.

The limitation you may hit is on the types of video file that the HDR will play: .mpg files work fine, .ts files don't.
This is most likely to be a configuration problem of your Twonky server, or you have some .ts files that contain something other than standard mpeg2 or h.264 video.

This is most likely to be a configuration problem of your Twonky server, or you have some .ts files that contain something other than standard mpeg2 or h.264 video.

Really all I'm wanting to do is hear stuff from the iMac via Humax - so if playing on the iMac it can be heard via Humax over HiFi etc.

You have me confused. You mentioned Spotify, but that is a service which fetches its content from the Internet, and anything that gets stored locally will be protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management - ie encryption).

If what you want to do is share content that you have already stored on the Mac (standard mp3s or whatever), you need a means to make it accessible to the Humax - and than means installing a DLNA server eg Twonky. With the Mac appropriately configured, it will show up on the Humax via Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network.

Simply duplicating the audio feed from the Mac onto the Humax is not an option.

The Humax can act as a digital media player (DMP) but I don't believe it will work as a digital media renderer (DMR). This means that you can go to the Humax and pull content from your media server running on your Mac, as explained by Black Hole, but you cannot push content from the Mac to the Humax.

Back