Streaming to TV

Agreed. It hasn't seen a lot of development work other than getting it up and running. Not too many people use it since the HDR got its own native server.

To extend on what I posted earlier, my Panasonic TV can stream from mediatomb but not from the native server. Obviously the underlying data is the same as there are no transcoding plugins installed but something is definitely different.
Packet traces should help show what's happening.

The results are in...

Neither of my Samsung TVs (32EH5000 and 32H5000) have DLNA client capability, but my LG Blu-Ray player does. I have not done exhaustive trials, but my observations are that MediaTomb does not alter the capability over the Humax server in any way. I could only find one .TS that played at all, and that happened to be a StDef recording and the only TS in My Video, and it played equally under MediaTomb as it did in the Humax server. Moving another .TS from a sub-folder into My Video did not make it play. Neither did a HiDef TS. Yes, before anyone asks, they are decrypted, but the HiDef file is also squashed. "Warning - cannot play this file". Moving the file that plays into a sub-folder did not stop it playing (in MediaTomb or the Humax server).

No problems with .MP4 (from my limited sample).

YMMV, but my observations are that MediaTomb makes no difference from a file compatibility point of view.

The LG can also see the file shares, but I couldn't get past the CIFS sign in to try it. Please advise what the ID and password fields should be.

(Posted before I saw post 41)

I'm gobsmacked.

I tried the bedroom LG 32LD690, and it has DLNA client capability. It plays every StDef TS I tried, whether through MediaTomb or the Humax server - but I haven't figured out how to adjust the screen ratio, so the recordings are played in a 4:3 pillarbox even though they should be 16:9, and a recording of an old 4:3 programme is displayed as a square!

That's not why I'm gobsmacked. The mega deal is that, through MediaTomb, decrypted HiDef TS play as well!! And at 16:9!!! (The same files do not play through the native server.)

In that case, I no longer need a HD-FOX to use as a client for the LG TV, although transport control is very limited (practically non-existent: just start stop and pause) through the LG client.

Last edited:
I asked the MediaTomb question since I use that on a day to day basis. I've also frequently adjusted the WebIf config to perform a Stripts -F by default and even once coded my own option to perform that on a manual basis (this is a pain since I have to do this after every upgrade).

I run 3 generations of Sony TV, MediaTomb streams content to those without fault. The inbuilt DLNA server does not work well. More than happy to help diagnose if I can.

my Panasonic TV can stream from mediatomb but not from the native server. Obviously the underlying data is the same as there are no transcoding plugins installed but something is definitely different.
Packet traces should help show what's happening.
I had a quick look using UPnP-Inspector and the "protocolInfo" for a recording is quite different between the native and mediatomb servers.
Note that MediaTomb presents mime type simply as mpeg, whereas the native server presents it as ts along with a lot of other data.
Also the upnp.class is different.

Native
protocolInfo http-get:*:video/ts: DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_SD_EU_ISO;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01100000000000000000000000000000
upnp.class object.item.videoItem.movie

MediaTomb
protocolInfo http-get:*:video/mpeg:*
upnp.class object.item.videoItem

Last edited:
The LG can also see the file shares, but I couldn't get past the CIFS sign in to try it. Please advise what the ID and password fields should be.
As far as I can make out, the ID and password should be User and Password (as per the automount settings), but the Blu-Ray player has a think and then dumps me back to the devices listing. Trying again just brings up the CIFS Sign In dialogue, despite the "remember" box being ticked. Ho hum.

Back