stripts interrupted by HDR going back into standby

cdmackay

Apologies if this is a naive FAQ - I'm just getting started with CF.

I was doing a manual shrink stripts on a recording. Before it had completed, the HDR went back into standby: presumably it had turned itself on to record something, then I had connected via webif without realising it wasn't "permanently" on.

I ended up with a corrupted file; the original had been saved, of course, so no damage done, but...

Is this expected behaviour? Is there no way for stripts (etc) to stop the box returning to standby whilst it (stripts) is running?

Or is it my job to ensure that I only run a manual stripts (or similar) when I know the box has been *manually* powered on and isn't likely to go off? Not that there is any way to check, is there?

And is auto-shrink affected by this too? Or does webif handle this, better than I did manually? For the other auto- ops, too?

Presumably this would apply to any manual operation, too? Decrypt, MPG, etc?

And what about if the box was manually powered on by me, but then someone else simply manually switched the box back into standby, whilst I'm in another room doing a manual file operation?

apologies for all the questions - I didn't see this mentioned in the wiki, which I've tried to study closely :)

thanks much indeed.

If you run things as auto WebIF functions, they will recover if interrupted. Doing it manually you need to clean up yourself.

thanks much.

Is there any good reason not to simply auto-shrink everything, i.e. auto-shrink recursive on My Video?

There is a risk with every operation, even if only slight. Why bother shrinking things you are just going to watch and delete? If you are keeping loads of stuff, you need to think why - the disk is going to fill up sooner or later.

Can you tell that to SWMBO please BH? I have to set 'her' HDR to shrink every recording. As I have mentioned previously, she asks me to record stuff, then takes an age, and I mean an age, to view things.

I have warned her about potential HDD failure and even running out of space, but it is like talking to a brick wall!

ok, thanks both; point taken!

I will shrink & decrypt things that I'm keeping for ages, and/or archiving off-box, but leave the daily stuff alone.

You can create a "Shrink" folder and auto-shrink everything moved to the new folder or recursively Auto-shrink everything including the contents of any sub-folders

thanks - yup, I was thinking of an Archive folder, with both auto-shrink, and auto-decrypt enabled. Presumably it's OK to enable both, or may they conflict?

Can you tell that to SWMBO please BH? I have to set 'her' HDR to shrink every recording. As I have mentioned previously, she asks me to record stuff, then takes an age, and I mean an age, to view things.

I have warned her about potential HDD failure and even running out of space, but it is like talking to a brick wall!
Brick walls I can't help with. My attitude to TV is that there are only so many hours in the day (or per week, whatever) to watch telly, and once they are filled there's no point saving any more.

Brick walls I can't help with. My attitude to TV is that there are only so many hours in the day (or per week, whatever) to watch telly, and once they are filled there's no point saving any more.

watch? You get time to watch telly? :)

Can 'stripts' be made to run automatically just like 'decrypt on the fly' or at the very least at the end of the recording? OR can i manually move it to a [stripts] folder in Media-Video, myself using the remote control and then let it do it's magic - say overnight if i've got lots to do?

I don't have the internet at home so i need something that works ad-hoc you know?

As a follow up question, i've got approx 500GB of recordings that i would like to reduce by the so-claimed 20% shrinkage, using stripts ...any advice? - and is stripts a quick thing or is it effectively making a duplicate recording with the unwanted crap removed? therefore, taking several minutes to do, meaning my 500GB will takes months! ??

thanks

You can set auto-shrink and recursive auto-shrink as a folder option, just the same as auto-decrypt.

As a follow up question, i've got approx 500GB of recordings that i would like to reduce by the so-claimed 20% shrinkage, using stripts ...any advice? - and is stripts a quick thing or is it effectively making a duplicate recording with the unwanted crap removed? therefore, taking several minutes to do, meaning my 500GB will takes months! ??
Both decrypt and stripts have to make new copies of the recording so will take a long time to process 500GB but if you set the auto process run times and leave the box on overnight the box will get on with the job while you are not actively recording or watching

Back