Struggling to record and also play HD channels simultaneously

More likely, to the under-the-hood performance of the HDD. The disk firmware can be recovering bad reads or failing writes silently at the cost of increased delay. If that happens in a record or playback operation, the Humax settop program might aggressively time out the operation at the cost of an apparent glitch using low-level AV disk options. A CF add-on program running in the background would just block until the operation succeeds or fails irretrievably, possibly affecting the settop program's AV pipeline.

In such a case, a replacement disk might make the difference.
Makes sense! Presumably these errors wouldn't show up in fixdisk as that came up clean?

Indeed, though maybe in some low-level SMART data. Also, a disk designed for desktop PC use may just not support the AV extensions.

This is somewhat hypothetical as I don't think we've ever definitively shown that the SATA AV extensions are used, though it would be consistent with the specification of the OEM disks.

A bit of an update if anyone is interested.
I bought a Seagate SkyHawk Surveillance 3 TB Internal Hard Drive back in January 23 and finally got around to installing it and copying over the contents of the old drive (using my pc with bootable Linux) in the Christmas holidays.
Everything now works perfectly - can play while recording with no glitches etc.
So I am guessing there is something wrong with the original drive.

A further update:-
I realised yesterday that ads weren't being cropped out of recordings. I checked and the processing queue was empty. The penny dropped and I added Recursive Auto-shrink, Recursive Auto-Decrpt and Enable Auto DetectAds (there is not a Recursive version of this.... - is that normal - see below) to the My Video directory.
1705321766842.jpeg

So the queue is now populated but for some reason is running DetectAds on everything in the root directory that hasn't already been AdDetected - the flags seem to be a bit confused and even though a lot of these were BBC channels AdDetection is working it's way through these as well (some of them a few years old).
In subdirectories there are no issues.

That's not essential, and adds a process.

You don't absolutely need that for detectads, it takes care of decryption itself if set to chaserun.

WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for detectads package
I have that set to Traditional as I used to have issues but this may have been down to the HDD as well. I would set the Processing Settings to stop processing at 8pm. I might try out chaserun again and see how I get on.

Check the excluded channels list.

Advert break detection relies on decryption, and whether that be by auto-decrypt or by chase decryption the unit requires an active network connection (or a loop-back plug) and Menu >> Settings >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Auto-decryption of HiDef recordings also requires the autounprotect package.

Check the excluded channels list.

Advert break detection relies on decryption, and whether that be by auto-decrypt or by chase decryption the unit requires an active network connection (or a loop-back plug) and Menu >> Settings >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Auto-decryption of HiDef recordings also requires the autounprotect package.
The excluded channel list is the default "BBC *" (I've managed to copy the "mod" folder across from the old drive), Content Share is On and I have the auto-unprotect package installed (learnt that the hard way after hoping to put a drive out of a broken Hummy into another off of eBay!)

It's now processed all of the files in the root directory and finished so I'll just put it down to something to do with how I copied over the recordings from the old HDD to the new one.

Back