Stuck on deleting

Out of Maintenance mode and using the web i/face disk reallocated sector count is 1165 was 949
That is a significant increase in the number of reallocated sectors. Is this a 500MB drive or 1TB. I would keep an eye on it and if the rate of sector reallocation goes above 5 sectors a day, order a new drive so that you are ready to replace when the rate goes higher.

1Tb drive
OK. Just keep an eye on it. Our drive showed a steep increase in the rate of sector reallocations after about 1500 sectors and the Humax became unpleasant to use; other people are still happily using drives with several thousand reallocated sectors.

As you have 1.03.12 firmware, your Humax will format a new Hard disk up to 2TB (the 1.02.xx firmware would only format up to 1TB), so the formatting and 4K alignment steps have now been made quite a bit easier than the WiKi blog states

Sounds like the delete loop problem to me. Run fix-disk again and answer yes to the question that refers to the delete loop.
I ran fix-disk and it said it couldn't unmount a partition. I thought that may refer to the external USB drive. So I unplugged the USB lead from the HDR and fix-disk completed.

Fix-disk never asked if there was a 'delete loop' problem. All is working o.k. now. I think a while ago my external USB drive went read only and I transferred some files back to the HDR. And now when I tried to transfer the folder back to the external USB drive it caused the delete loop as some recordings were still read only.

Without the custom firmware I would probably have been none the wiser. I would think that letting the box run full power,in the delete loop, with the drive spinning continuously would cause the box to burn out. Twice, at least the cf has probably saved my box.

My previous HDR was a Thompson Top up TV HDR. I had one OTA update on that which made that HDR unusable, after the OTA the only thing that happened on the box was a flashing amber light. At least with the HDR-FOX T2 I feel I have more control.

Senseless witter.
Rather harsh prpr without an explanation of your comment.
I think what prpr is referring to is the fact that while the recorder is switched on, the drive IS, by design and necessity, 'spinning continuously' as it buffers the current programme, so the disk 'spinning continuously' will not 'burn out' the box as suggested that it could by Border.

Rather harsh prpr without an explanation of your comment.
I think what prpr is referring to is the fact that while the recorder is switched on, the drive IS, by design and necessity, 'spinning continuously' as it buffers the current programme, so the disk 'spinning continuously' will not 'burn out' the box as suggested that it could by Border.
Thanks Trev. I will admit I have little knowledge of these issues and appreciate clear easy to understand information. It was just when the delete loop problem was happening the automatic power down setting for the box did not kick in and the HDR was on constantly at full power for 3 to 4 days.

Thanks again.

How do you know it was "on constantly at full power"? What does "at full power" mean? Do you think this would cause something to "burn out"? What does "burn out" mean? Does it mean b*gger the Humax or burn the house down or what? How do you think Humax would sell something like that if it did?

Hi all

Just an update to my last posts concerning the ailing 1Tb drive (Apr 30th - disk reallocated sector count is 1179). Today over 1700. However, this evening I successfully replace the disk for a Seagate 2Tb following the excellent Wiki. So many thanks for that and all the other help along the way.

Just copying some recordings back over from the old disk and will then have a new batch of brownie points from Mrs Wifehouse (though they don't last).

Thanks Guys.

It's worth pointing out that the WiKi blog was written before it was possible to format a 2TB HDD from the Humax (using 1.03.06, 1.03.11 or 1.03.12 firmware)

So - Does that mean I could have formatted my 2Tb disk using the standard Humax settings menu in CFW 1.03.12 ? Actually my CFW is 2.22.
If so I must start reading release notes more carefully ! Anyway it was a good exercise to do it the "long way".

Couple of things I noticed which appears to be strange is that
1) doing a df -h command in telnet still shows only 906Gb for size against /dev/sda2
2) date of /etc/fstab is still 07 February when I created the new disk and partitions last night 16 June

Do I need to partprobe or something like that to make fstab correct. My Linux experience is a bit rusty.

aaah - just spotted that my 2Tb disk is reported as /dev/sdb - maybe because I have my old disk currently hooked up to a usb dock whilst I copy back recordings. And /dev/sdb2 is 1.8T :). Still puzzled by date of fstab though

Back