Stuck @ Wizzard ?

MickJack

Not used our hummy for a while, old analogue TV changed to new smart and we don't record much. So the hummy which is still in pass through mode & standby seems to have rebooted, shows 'wizzard' on the little screen. I switch it off/on loads then stops on wizzard, no menu on tv screen (may be the way it's connected) pressing any button on the hummy remote makes no change - still in wizzard, I can switch on/off with the remote, on/off with the orange/blue round button, on/off at switch on the back.

I think I am going to take the hummy out of the wiring, we don't use it much these days but was wondering if 'stuck at wizzard' was a common problem and I am missing something.

Reverting to the initial set up wizard is a fairly common problem with the Humax, mine did it just before Christmas but before that several months ago.
The wizard won't go away by itself - you need to go through all the stages of retuning and setting up options, but once done it should stay tuned until the next blue moon event. You should have a menu on screen -you may need to switch your TV back to use Humax as video source.

As expected took out the smart TV, still had the old analogue to connect, was able to step through the wizzard and we are back where we want to be, hummy still in the loop in case, thanks for the reply's and all the best in the new year.

As expected took out the smart TV, still had the old analogue to connect, was able to step through the wizzard and we are back where we want to be, hummy still in the loop in case, thanks for the reply's and all the best in the new year.
WHY? You should have been able to deal with the wizard using an HDMI connection from Humax to Smart TV without needing to use an analogue connection.
If you don't have a working HDMI connection to your smart TV you wont be able to watch anything from the Humax and there is little point in having it connected at all.

That's the odd thing about the original post. I thought OP only had power to the Humax but no connection from it to the TV. What's the point of keeping it if OP doesn't do recordings and doesn't monitor the output of the Humax? But I may have misunderstood.

Sorry, guess I was not up to speed, I imagined being stuck in wizzard mode may have been a common glitch, I guess it may have updated/whatever overnight.

I imagined being stuck in wizzard mode may have been a common glitch
It wasn't "stuck" in wizard mode, you just had to complete the set-up procedure. It happens occasionally, rarely, at random (possibly as a result of the internal databases becoming corrupt, as a recovery mechanism). The annoying thing is that you can't complete the set-up without an aerial connection, which is a pain if the HDR/HD is being used as a file server.

If you don't have a working HDMI connection to your smart TV you wont be able to watch anything from the Humax
You think? Nothing wrong with analogue, just slightly lower quality.

Is anyone else having problems with their machine frequently going back to the wizzard? I have three which have been fine for years but all now stop working and have returned to the initial startup screen when starting manually. It doesn't happen all the time, but is often enough to make recording unreliable. I can't be sure but it appears to happen after tunefix has done a channel update. I've tried re-installing tunefix but that hasn't fixed it. I am using the latest firmware and CF.

Uninstall tunefix and see whether the problem goes away. For ultimate 'peace' of mind, revert to standard firmware to alleviate any suspicion whatsoever.

We believe the installation wizard is triggered if the firmware can't make sense of the databases, so that they get reinitialised from scratch. Repeatedly doing so could be a symptom of dying hardware.

I've tried re-installing tunefix but that hasn't fixed it.
Well it wouldn't. You need to investigate its configuration, or provide the information so somebody else can. Anyway, this is in the wrong forum section for that, so start a new thread elsewhere if so.

Back