Stuck

Rbz5416

Over the last few days I'd had a problem where the box wouldn't shut down. It would go into standby & then immediately wake back up again. So yesterday I did a factory restore & then pulled all the connections to check nothing odd externally was causing the problem. No difference.

So then I decided to reformat. Copied everything to USB but the format option told me it couldn't run because the disk was too big. It's a standard 500GB.

So then I tried manually deleting from the Web IF but although items disappeared when deleted, as soon as the page was refreshed they came back again! So then I selected everything to delete on the box itself. The disk was a little over half full & knowing it's a slow process, left it overnight. This morning I was encouraged that the box was in standby with no disk activity but when I brought it up, nothing had been deleted & the "deleting" message & icon were still present. The HDD menu is now greyed out.

As a last attempt I reloaded the (custom) firmware which all proceeded nicely but on reboot, the box is still stuck deleting, so I can't do anything else with it.

Anyone got any ideas for breaking it out of this cycle so I can attempt a format before raising (another) warranty job? :(

Edit - I can't now re-install Web IF either from USB or from HTTP.

Anyone got any ideas for breaking it out of this cycle so I can attempt a format before raising (another) warranty job? :(
You need you access the custom firmware using telnet rather than a web browser, put the box into maintenance mode and run fix-disk.

Big thank you to whoever is responsible for the maintenance tools. The disk was littered with errors.

Had some issues reloading the CF after the disk format so had to go back to a standard firmware first. But all done now, just need to restore...

Big thank you to whoever is responsible for the maintenance tools. The disk was littered with errors.
I think it is mainly the work of xyz321.
Had some issues reloading the CF after the disk format so had to go back to a standard firmware first. But all done now, just need to restore...
Now that you have the custom firmware running properly, could you look at Diagnostics >Hard drive and tell us the raw values of field IDs 5, 9, 197 and 198.

Thanks, although at the time of the reading it's been copying data back from USB for a while but I'll take a look. Should maybe open the front of the cabinet for a bit more air flow when it's taking a pasting like this.

. . . the hard drive is getting a bit hot. Might b e worth installing the fan package to keep the hard drive cooler.
Why do you say that? line 194 worst = 56 Deg. C which is only one degree above the fan-on temperature, this is normal operation. The 'failed in the past' in line 190 is not a problem, it just shows that the Hard disk has gone above 55 Deg. C (when the fan comes on )

Back