Stuttering on copied video playback?

LeeC

Hi all. I've copied an MP4 video file to my humax HDR 1100S. I can play the video back using the Humax->Videos selection, but when it plays, I can see "stuttering" in the playback. You can see it if the scene pans slowly, the pan will be smooth for 1 second, and then stutter for a bit, and then go smooth again. It seems to be happening throughout the video. I've tried playing the video file on my PC, and it is playing fine there, so it suggests it's an issue with the Humax box. Does anyone know how this can be resolved? Are the video formats that work better on Humax than MP4?

Lee

I think your problem might be frame rates. UK broadcast TV is 25fps. US (and other places where there is 60Hz mains) uses 30fps. Cinema uses 24fps. Video files can be practically anything.

The Humax is designed for 25fps, and its temporal interpolator might not be very good. Your PC is unconstrained and will present video at whatever frame rate is in the video file. Try your TV: it may well be designed to work worldwide and have a great interpolator.

Thanks for your reply. The source for the video was from a DVD, copied out using Handbrake. I will have a look at the settings and see if I can change the framerate...

Download MediaInfo and open the file. Select View - Tree and export the results to a txt file. Post the text here.

At least we will have something concrete to work on.

Guessing it was a ntsc based DVD with a frame rate of 29.97fps.

Thanks for your reply. The source for the video was from a DVD, copied out using Handbrake. I will have a look at the settings and see if I can change the framerate...

Burn the file to a DVD Blank in DVD-Video format using DVD Authoring Software like DVDFlick. A DVD player or a PC should play it back OK

Back