Subtitles while viewing over network

Muckeye

I watch a lot of content over my network and stream avi's and mp4's to my Humax HDR-FOX T2's using Twonky, but I'm having a few problems with subtitles.

After converting the .srt files to ANSI encoding first I can get subtitles working when the avi/mp4 file and the .srt file are both accessed from a USB stick, however when the .mp4 and .srt file are accessed via the network then the subtitles don't seem to work! Am I doing something wrong?

Any help much appreciated!

regards,
David

when you us a USB memory stick the hummy is reading the actual file direct.
When you access it via the network you are using DLNA (twonky server).

The files that can be processed and there associated "attribute" (e.g. Subtitles) are different for each method. The DLNA server is most likely not able to serve subtitles either at all or in a form suitable for the hummy.

The DLNA streams the file (preprocesses and sends it as a stream of data...)whereas the USB just makes it available as a file (for the humax to read).
They are handled via different processes on the hummy (DLNA client, versus a "file reader").

Thanks for the quick and well explained response.... so I guess that means it's not possible with Twonky?

Do anyone know of a DNLA server that CAN handle subtitles and works with the Hummy, or am I just dreaming?

You can embed subtitles into the original file, but of course you won't be able to turn them on and off as they will be permanently added to the video. Google Embed Subtitles for xxx (The file container/type you used). For instance Embed Subtitles into MP4

As an aside, some versions of Twonky can cause the HDR-FOX to crash (see discussions in this forum), so it is safer to keep to the version you have.
If I am correct that if you put the files in question onto a USB stick and plug this directly into the HDR-FOX, you get the subtitles to work OK? If so, have you considered installing the custom firmware? You would then be able to mount the remote directory (NAS, PC etc.) as if it were a local drive on the HDR-FOX and the programmes should play as if they were on a physical USB stick plugged in to the unit.

This sounds interesting! I did have problems with Twonky causing the HDR-FOX to crash but that was solved by turning off the FTP setting. I do actually have the custom firmware installed but am still getting to grips with the extra functionality that it adds, but I wasn't aware that I was able to mount my PC as a remote directory - is that pretty straightforward? I'm guessing this would require me to have the FTP option turned on?

No need for ftp. Samba on the box allows windows to map the drive as a network drive. Once mapped it appears in Windows Explorer like any other drive on your PC.

Samba - Windows compatible file sharing. Allows access to the HDR filesystem from a computer on the same network. The file system is shared using Windows compatible sharing so can be access from Windows, MacOSX and most other operating systems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

I'm comfortable with sharing network drives between PC's on my network, and have shared my hard drive containing all my video files so that I am able to access it from other PC's on the network, however I'm unsure how to go about mounting this as if it were a local drive on the HDR-FOX using the custom firmware, as suggested by MontysEvilTwin above.

I usually access my network content (avi's, mp4's etc.) by pressing the 'Media' button on the remote then clicking the blue button (storage), which then shows me my Twonky server, however I do not see my shared network drive (Z:) at this screen. Should I? Or should I be doing something through the custom firmware to make this accessible? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree completely?

We are back to my precious point. You see your twonky server because it is talking via DLNA. So any "files" that you see are presented via DLNA.
Your z drive is a physical drive.
To see the drive itself you will need to do something else.
I'm not sure of the actual process because I don't use the facility, however I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to advise you.

The main network shares automount thread can be found here. It has got a bit long and meandering but everything is in there. I think towards the end there are examples where users are guided through setting it up. Enjoy! It is easier than it looks, once you have figured it out you'll be able to configure a new share in a couple of minutes.

Back