[Suggestion] CF-Generated Thumbnails

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Yes, I know we can already ask the WebIF to generate thumbnails.

My problem is that I rarely reboot my machines (unless they crash), so my recordings generally have no thumbnails at all (until I play them, and then it's too late).

Could we have an auto-process option to create the standard thumbnail on any recordings it finds without one, and/or a Sweeper test+action to do so?

It should be quite trivial to do using a fixed offset into the programme
(but that does not mean I am volunteering)

Yes, it just needs something in the scheduling to trigger the existing thumbnail generator.

My problem is that I rarely reboot my machines (unless they crash), so my recordings generally have no thumbnails at all (until I play them, and then it's too late).
Likewise. But I've noticed that thumbnails haven't been created after a reboot either - it only happens when selecting Play.
(Both my machines have crashed this week while I've been away - but my networked remote controlled power sockets came to the rescue - yay!)

I agree, but IIRC there is some stage in the startup process which generates them - maybe it's a full cold start.

It should be quite trivial to do using a fixed offset into the programme
An off-set would probably be OK if all the programmes were padded the same amount or all used AR reasonably successfully. With a mix of the two then deciding on the length of the fixed off set would be a bit tricky.

All I'm asking for is a thumbnail, not the best thumbnail. As far as I can see, the standard thumbnail is a frame about 1s into the recording.

All I'm asking for is a thumbnail, not the best thumbnail. As far as I can see, the standard thumbnail is a frame about 1s into the recording.
Is that true for padded recordings too? It wouldn't be too hard to do padding+1s in that case.

Is that true for padded recordings too? It wouldn't be too hard to do padding+1s in that case.
Or first bookmark (ARbookmark or Detectads) - I have noticed that thumbnails on DA cropped programs are usually reasonable because they are in the opening scenes of the programme rather than the preceding ads - the first bookmark would give similar results for those that don't use cropping
All I'm asking for is a thumbnail, not the best thumbnail.
In the past I have suggested using theTVDB episode images (where available) as a source of better quality thumbnails but that idea was discounted because of the need to do image format conversion

It would be very nice if the broadcasters set a "thumbnail frame" flag.
I think you are entering cloud cuckoo land now ;)

Does such a thing exist in the DVB specs? Even if it did what are the chances of the broadcasters getting it "right" when often they get the basics wrong.

Back