Summary?

I did say I'm a novice so hope you'll bear with me. I now have the samba-latest. tar.gz on memory stick. If I plug this into the Foxsat HDR will it just upload and run automatically. I know I could just "suck it and see" but if I put this box out of service "her indoors" will kill me.

Ah found it in Package Management. I'll try not to bother you again until I've read everything.

View attachment 564
Now I do have a problem - can't actually connect to the web. What I've got so far is access to Foxsat via homeplugs but no means to download eg samba. As screenshot shows the System Settings don't include a workgroup. I can't download any packages. Can't map network drive. Can you help?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
Your settings wont include a workgroup till you install Samba. The repository that stores the packages has been offline this afternoon. It's back up now so try to install Samba again.

Your settings wont include a workgroup till you install Samba. The repository that stores the packages has been offline this afternoon. It's back up now so try to install Samba again.

Thank you very much - excellent result, I now have samba, telnet (tho' I need to learn how to use it) and remote control. Happily dragging and dropping files.

Now I need to learn how to stream films from (say) Lovefilm via Foxsat to the TV.

I'm very grateful for everything so far, if you've time to advise on streaming video I'd be grateful but will research it myself when I get time.

Back