Supported Frame Rates

Peso

Hello Forum Members,

Just a quick question about the supported frame rate outputs of the machine. I suspect given its intended use it is fixed at 25 fps or 50fps. Is it though capable of 24fps (23.976 for the more techy).
I tried some 24fps material and there was a bit of judder. It wasn't really awful, so must have been making a good effort to spread it across 50fps.
Come to think of it I did have the output set to 1080i. Would it play different if set to 1080p?

Regards

I tried a 24p (23.976) clip with the box set to 1080p, still juddered every second. So I guess its locked to 25/50fps. Shame.

Mine plays 1080p24 with no issue via usb. I have some content ripped from blu-ray in a .ts container. What container did you use Peso and was it streamed from a PC via DLNA. It also surprisingly copes with 1080p50 from my camcorder and 1080p24 from a DSLR.

Also are you sure your TV supports 24p ?. Many older ones don't.

Hello Graham,
The video was in .ts container and copied to the T2's HDD. I did two versions, a 24fps and a 25fps. The 24 showed judder every second on pans and movement. The 25 was silky smooth.
Mentioning as you did the TV has a set me thinking. It is a Philips set of some 4 years vintage and yes it does support 24. Its info screen is dire though and it will not tell you what the scanning rate is of an incoming signal, so I can't verify. So I am thinking, maybe, given its initial handshake is at 50, the TV is unable, or unwilling, to switch scanning rates. I could test I suppose by starting play back of a 24fps video, turn off the TV completely, then back on again, so the first signal it sees from the T2 is 24.
The equipment is my parents and I will not be visiting them again for several months (sorry Mum). Will update this thread when I do.

Bye for now.

It was sourced from a BD disc. The DTS audio converted to Dolby with eac3to, then the video and audio combined in a .ts file with tsMuxer.
The 25fps version was done the same way, using eac3to to increase the speed of the audio to 25 and setting the video fps to 25 when muxing with tsMuxer.
Do you think a different container, say .mp4, would yeild a better result?

Strangely enough I use pretty well the same procedure (I find I need a +100 audio setting in TSmuxer to retain lip synch). I would have thought converting 24P to a non multiple would create motion artefacts similar to those you get playing back from a Blu-ray player to a non 24P capable TV. Do you have any other way of playing back the footage ?. I have a tiny Xenta mini 1080p media player that also works fine with with my Sony TV. My freesat HDR1000s also works fine with 1080p24 content on a usb device. I still reckon it's an issue with the TV.

I have played back the created file on other hardware, not to the same TV, and it played fine. Had also played the original disk on my parent BD player to their TV and that was fine. Again I think this points to the TV/T2 combination not allowing for on the fly frame rate changes.
I think my proposed test above of turning the TV while a 24fps video is playing is going to prove that.
Will update here on that when I can.

Back