swapping units

it seems i'm guilty of not actually reading the hidden thread that you refer to, and similarly you havent read all of this thread perhaps, where you would see that i refer to the external HDD

we're not all as technically gifted, i had no idea that HD things would be encrypted, are these all lost to me now?

thanks for reply anyway, but i still seem stuck, is there anything glaringly obvious in the error report i've posted?

How do I know from the other end of a wire?

What is the point in obscuring the IP addresses of devices on your home network? They are of no value to anybody.
i dont know, i thought i'd seen other people doing it so thought it may be important, it would appear not, i'm not as tech savvy as you,but you probably couldnt run an operating theatre!

advice gratefully recd, i'm still stuck and cant get my head around why, does the error report not give any clues?

I'm not technically gifted either, I apply my effort to compiling the information. I have to say that with all the effort I have gone to in documenting the encryption situation, I am very surprised that people still can't get their heads around it. I take that as my failing, and will have to review what more can be done. Most, if not all, the relevant info can be found from the stickies at the top of each forum listing - have you not seen "NEW READERS START HERE"?

i didnt even look at the encryption bit, you probably have done a great job. i saw the new readers bit, but as i've been on here for ages i didnt read that either!!
i've even been thru the stuff that climber PM'd be when i first set it up and i still cant get it to work

192.168.1.3 is on-line - attempting to mount humaxpcaccess
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.3/various series /media/humaxpcaccess -o user=matilda-pc,password=+++++,domain=WORKGROUP,unc=\\192.168.1.3\various series
mount: mounting //192.168.1.3/various series on /media/humaxpcaccess failed: Not a directory
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/humaxpcaccess: Invalid argument

do i actually have to put the user and password for my pc in, or can that be ignored, i have and it isnt working, can anyone see anything glaringly obvious, as i said all i did was unplug old t2 and then connect up the new one

the IP for my pc is the same, or can that change? webif working fine, so nothing wrong with the connections, i'm scratching my head here

damn this stupid encryption thing, i've got loads of HD stuff saved on the external HDD, now that i've swapped t2's will all of this be unwatchable?? if i put the original t2 back then it'll be ok? why is it like this, is there someway i can get around this please? i never saw that coming, damn it!

The old box should be able to read the high definition files. You can decrypt them on there and transfer them to the new unit if you want.

I was about to say that. Just move them back to the original device and decrypt them as per Things Every... section 5 (click through to details from there).

i think it'll be easier just to plug the old box back in and give my mum the 1tb one, i've got over 1tb of HD stuff saved on the external hard drive, stupid technology, why did humax decide to do that then, any idea?

i tried but i failed! will be getting it all back to the old machine after work tomorrow

and i still cant get the auto mount to work, can watch the files on pc using other sharing software, so its obviously something i've typed in wrongly, can anyone see what it could be from the error report, not a directory, i guess is the key

stupid technology, why did humax decide to do that then, any idea?
Humax use encryption because they are required to by the people who own the copy right to the programs. If Humax didn't encrypt then they would be unable to use the Freeview EPG. It is copyright issues that you should be complaining about not technology.

ok i'll complain about that instead in that case, but i'm still complaining about the technology that wont let me use automount!! no one got a clue?

Am I correct in thinking that you are trying to mount a folder from your PC on the Humax? It does not seem to be recognising 'various series' as a valid folder. Check that what's on the Humax matches the folder on the PC with respect to capital letters etc. - one of the mounting methods is case sensitive (I can't remember if it is Samba or NFS). Do you have the CIFS package installed on the Humax, and is the service running? If your router allocates IP addresses automatically, the IP of your PC may have changed, so check this too.

Are you sure that the PC is using "WORKGROUP" as it's workgroup.
Check the PC "Computer=>Properties" it's defined in there.
I believe that this is the MS default but ...
If it is different then you will need to change the value in the Humax Parameters (or the PC).

ok i'll complain about that instead in that case, but i'm still complaining about the technology that wont let me use automount!! no one got a clue?
Take the damned space of out "various series" and you will probably find it works better.
You cannot put spaces in share names.

i've always used various series with a gap on the original unit without a problem, and have confirmed since i reinstalled the old one that i had used the wrong user name, irrelevant now as its being sent to devon to live with my mum!!

all happy in the world again, all those precious HD recordings working fine from the external HDD, and i hadnt formatted the old one so all the other stuff is still on there too

have now installed the deencrypt thing!!

cheers for tips

in view of the apparent demise of my old hummy's HD tuner looks like i'm gonna hve to try the other one again and see if that can pick up HD. mum didnt seem interested in a new one strangely so its been gathering dust here since my last post

have been using the unencrypt thing so hopefully it'll be easy to transfer everything onto external HD, prob do all this sunday, if the barrow hill beer festival doesnt kill too many of my brain cells tomorrow, or tuesday, my next day off!

watch this space!

Back