Switching from a Foxsat HDR to a T2 HDR...?

Stratos

Hello,

I bought a Foxsat HDR 500GB back in 2011 based on the recommendation of a friend who told me all about the custom firmware. I'd never had satellite before but was having issues with my terrestrial reception so I made the change. I installed the CF within hours of installing my dish and I've been loving it ever since, thank you Raydon!

I'm now hoping to move house and I'm not so keen on fitting a dish to the house as it will be hard to hide it and won't suit the property. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it but I'd like to investigate other options. As the house already has a high gain aerial in the roof which I'm told works well on Freeview HD, I thought I'd investigate my Freeview options.

I read this hummy.tv-forum-threads-foxsat-cf-vs-fox-t2-cf.2975 which was interesting and put me onto the T2.

From what I see a Fox T2 with CF could give me similar features to what I am use to. I particularly like the media server function and the ability to mount a network drive (by tricking the software to run it as a USB device). I'd like to keep these features, reading the hummypkg.org.uk-packages.html it lists "mediatomb" & "network-shares-automount" for the T2, good news.

But as the T2 has been replaced by 2000T which doesn't have any custom firmware (?) it looks like I need to buy a second hand T2.

So, (finally) are there any other option other than installing a dish or buying a s/h T2 that give me all these features?

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

P.S. Sorry, I had to hide the hyper links as I'm a newbie.

From what I see a Fox T2 with CF could give me similar features to what I am use to. I particularly like the media server function and the ability to mount a network drive (by tricking the software to run it as a USB device). I'd like to keep these features, reading the hummypkg.org.uk-packages.html it lists "mediatomb" & "network-shares-automount" for the T2, good news.
You don't need Mediatomb on an HDR-FOX, it has its own built-in media server. The HDR-FOX is a more capable machine (and empowers more capability in the CF) than the FOXSAT.

Thanks for the replies.

I'd not seen the other dish options before, they look interesting.

I hadn't appreciated the T2 was so capable until I started this research, I'm tempted to buy a s/h one to play with anyway. I find the whole modifying and tweaking good fun.

If I was to switch from the Foxsat to a Fox T2, would it be possible to copy programmes from one hard drive to another? My daughters love "Horrible Histories", I've recorded them all and they are a useful reference point for topics they learn about at school so I'd like to be able to move them over. I'd guess it's only HD (encrypted) files that I can't move. I know there are other ways to archive the files but the simplicity of just turning the Humax on to play the programmes is hard to beat.

The TS files will play without sidecars: see this thread for more information. Have you installed Nowster's patch? If you had done this before the high def. recordings were made they would be unencrypted.

That's embarrassing, I should have searched for that as it explains my situation exactly!.... Typical newbie, sorry!

Thanks.

Back