Switching off Telnet - which way around?

farrow

Hi,

I'm just trying to switch off telnet access on my Fox T2.

In the web interface, the option is "Disable telnet menu?" (Yes/no)

When I select Yes (as in Yes, disable it) the resulting message states the telnet server will be enabled.

Could I please just check which way is off?

The "Telnet menu" is what pops up when you access the command line by Telnet - to save us having to tutor people what commands to input manually. The Telnet server itself is always on, and is the only means you have to sort things out if they go tits up.

Why do you want to disable it? It's pass-code protected (change the PIN from 0000), and your network shouldn't be open to the world anyway.

Thanks for your replies folks.

I was trying to turn Telnet off under the advanced settings area, but I guess that's just the menu.

WZGzsuX.jpg

I'll have a go with the dropbear-ssh package though to disable it properly.

Thanks again.

Can't understand these security fetishists.
I am quite paranoid about what I allow into my network from the outside - but then so are most routers / firewalls.
Inside, anything goes.
I would have different views if anybody else lived here. It is a PC, a Personal Computer, it is MINE ALONE. Etc.

You sound like you don't want any kind of command line access at all. That would be bad.
It's perfectly reasonable to get dropbear-ssh up and running and, once access is confirmed working, disable the telnet server; that's why the option is there. There are still a couple of instances where the telnet server will be enabled anyway - maintenance mode is one. If anything does go wrong with dropbear then the telnet server can easily be re-enabled and should both webif & dropbear break together (unlikely), it could be re-enabled via a small .spk file on a USB stick (that doesn't exist yet but would be trivial to create).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought dropbear provided command line access across an encrypted connection. So it provides an alternative to Telnet. Post 6 can be read to imply the OP doesn't want any access to the command line to be available.

It's good to know that access can be restored by a variety of means if necessary, but it seems paranoid to turn off all means of access in the first place. Under those circumstances, even access to the WebIF could be considered insecure.

Thanks for the ideas/reassurances...

I'll admit I'm not overly fussed about the command line access, I'd rather just improve security - and it's good to know there is a workaround if needed.

I need to go back through my Fox T2's settings etc as it seems to have thrown a wobbler a couple of months ago.

The Web interface needed reinstalling, and all the packages appear to be missing now (thought the early morning OTA blocker is still in place).

I think the hardest part will be trying to remember which ones were installed! ;)

I'd rather just improve security
But exactly what security are you concerned about for a PVR within your network? If a hacker is that far in I can't imagine stealing or trashing your TV recordings is going to be particularly high on his/her hit-list.

Would have thought a root around on a computer looking for banking details would be at the top of the list.

Back