T2 and Panasonic VIERA

John7

I am not sure if the HDR T2 (working OK using a HDMI cable) should use VIERA with a Panasonic TV or not. If it does the TV will use the T2 for holding, T2 control etc.

It’s getting the T2 linking to the TV, things like automatically switching the display over to it when turned on, with the full link the TV can use the HD for holding or recording (if needed). Our old Sony CRT linked on turn on no problem, but that was using SCART.
It should , as the TV does to my sound system, put it into standby when the TV is turned of (and on when turned back on). Is this hdmi-cec , if so its a non starter then!

Thanks, oh well I shouldn’t be surprised manufactures can’t or will not implement common standards. In many ways its self-defeating as we are replacing our old DVD player so are now ensuring the replacement will work the TV. In digital box terms that would lead to the T2 not being selected in future as it’s so much easier when the parts do work together (and leads to marriages not threating to end as a result of more complication)

Yep, it's the hdmi corps fault for allowing manufacturers to use their own interpretation of the cec standard, so Sony stuff all works together, Panasonic all together etc, but not where manufacturers are mixed - well rarely anyway.

It was a good concept, but then someone ballsed it up, probably because a manufacturer paid them off!

I too have a VIERA TV and I'm annoyed by the lack of CEC support in the HDR, although I have spotted an HDMI_CEC field in one of the databases (using the custom firmware). However, with the HDR connected to HDMI1 on the TV the auto-switching works fine, and I don't get the switching problems when the box is recording (or about to start) that I used to get with the SCART connection, and which others have reported using the HDMI connection on other brands of TV. The handshaking takes a few seconds, but the 1.02.27 update might improve that. Some people say it's better, some say it's worse.

It's all a bit hit and miss with hdmi cec.
The humax might not be doing anything, it might be just your tv detecting a new signal on hdmi 1 and switching to it because that's what Panasonic made that model do.
It could also just be pot luck and the humax uses the same cec command as Panasonic..

Certainly both my Phillips 42" LCD and Samsung 42" plasma don't auto switch unfortunately :-(

Yes, I think the VIERA is using some other method of detecting the signal. When I'm watching the TV and then turn the HDR on, the screen blacks out and shows the HDMI1 input name on the display, but then switches back to the TV channel for a few seconds before going black again and then finally displaying the signal from the output. A bit annoying, but hey at least it works without the need for further button presses to select an input.

I'm still keen to pursue this CEC thing though, it works brilliantly for the blu-ray player (also Panasonic) and my digital camera (Lumix aka Panasonic). Spot the shameless brand loyalty.... ;-)

Brand loyalty is definately the name of the game as far as CEC is concerned, You won't get far without it ! !. As stated above it wasn't meant to be this way, it was supposed to be universal, but hey, If the manufatures can screw it up, they will

Oh sorry i didnt see this thread and i just posted one of my own :rolleyes: Cant see a way to delete it either.

Does anyone know if the Xbox 360 supports cec?

Yes, I think the VIERA is using some other method of detecting the signal. When I'm watching the TV and then turn the HDR on, the screen blacks out and shows the HDMI1 input name on the display, but then switches back to the TV channel for a few seconds before going black again and then finally displaying the signal from the output. A bit annoying, but hey at least it works without the need for further button presses to select an input.

I'm still keen to pursue this CEC thing though, it works brilliantly for the blu-ray player (also Panasonic) and my digital camera (Lumix aka Panasonic). Spot the shameless brand loyalty.... ;-)

Panasonic TV's AV1 HDMI socket appears to have auto select system similar to that used by auto hdmi switches. It's not a CEC control system and in the case of Humax hdrs it's a mixed blessing as when they wake up to record/wait for AR the hdmi output is pulsed causing it switch the TV to hdmi1.

Certainly both my Phillips 42" LCD and Samsung 42" plasma don't auto switch unfortunately :-(
The problem with automation is that it can't get it right all of the time. Do any of you guys watch your PVRs from another room?
Our old scart connected tv used to autoswitch and it drove me nuts. I'm watching a freeview program in the lounge, wife switches on the PVR from the bedroom and my tv in the lounge switches. What an utter PITA!. Fortunately no, very fortunately my current TV does not auto switch for HDMI thank God. I suppose it would be best if the TV had a setting to switch the function on or off as the owner wanted. Be careful what you wish for.:)

The problem with automation is that it can't get it right all of the time. Do any of you guys watch your PVRs from another room?
Our old scart connected tv used to autoswitch and it drove me nuts. I'm watching a freeview program in the lounge, wife switches on the PVR from the bedroom and my tv in the lounge switches. What an utter PITA!. Fortunately no, very fortunately my current TV does not auto switch for HDMI thank God. I suppose it would be best if the TV had a setting to switch the function on or off as the owner wanted. Be careful what you wish for.:)

It's very easy to disable scart autoselect just by removing/pushing back a pin in the scart plug at the TV end. Most TV's have an option to turn off CEC hdmi port control.

It's very easy to disable scart autoselect just by removing/pushing back a pin in the scart plug at the TV end. Most TV's have an option to turn off CEC hdmi port control.
Thanks Graham, its good to know that these things can be turned off these days. If and when I change the lounge TV I'll check for that on/off switch. As you say, with scarts you can disconnect (think I remember it was) pin 8 but it does stop something else working as two signals are on that lead, was it 16:9 and 4:3 switching? Can't remember.

Thanks Graham, its good to know that these things can be turned off these days. If and when I change the lounge TV I'll check for that on/off switch. As you say, with scarts you can disconnect (think I remember it was) pin 8 but it does stop something else working as two signals are on that lead, was it 16:9 and 4:3 switching? Can't remember.

Correct but since the demise of analogue 4:3 is pretty rare these days. You have to the same as manually selecting the input and manually select the aspect ratio.

Panasonic TV's AV1 HDMI socket appears to have auto select system similar to that used by auto hdmi switches. It's not a CEC control system and in the case of Humax hdrs it's a mixed blessing as when they wake up to record/wait for AR the hdmi output is pulsed causing it switch the TV to hdmi1.
I've never had any trouble with my Viera switching to the Humax input when it wakes up to wait for an AR signal, touch wood...

I've never had any trouble with my Viera switching to the Humax input when it wakes up to wait for an AR signal, touch wood...

Is it connected to the hdmi 1 input designated as AV1 if not you won't have a problem. Try swapping the the Humax to AV1 about 20 minutes before a series recording is due watch a programme from te TV tuner. What happens about 5 minutes later ?

Back