T2 frequently freezing

Pernod

I've had my HDR-FOX T2 for about 8 years with no issue, and is running the latest official firmware 1.03.12.

It's now started crashing/freezing frequently, requiring a power cycle, remote and front button have no effect. By crashing I mean black screen but front panel is still lit up so not shutdown. After power up it will sometimes die after only a few seconds of watching a TV channel but can last maybe 10 mins. I suspected the HDD but have managed to get as far as the System menu and have performed HDD Tests which found no faults. I've also opened it up and cleared dust.

Any suggestions on cause and possible fixes? I'm wondering if it could be fan related?

It's now started crashing/freezing frequently, requiring a power cycle, remote and front button have no effect. By crashing I mean black screen but front panel is still lit up so not shutdown. After power up it will sometimes die after only a few seconds of watching a TV channel but can last maybe 10 mins. I suspected the HDD but have managed to get as far as the System menu and have performed HDD Tests which found no faults. I've also opened it up and cleared dust.
The easiest thing to try might be the system flush which is installed in the same way as a software update; can be downloaded from the supporting files section at https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads If that doesn't fix it then I would suggest installing the custom firmware so you can do a proper investigation of te health of the hard drive rather than the rather limited check performed by the standard Humax firmware.

The easiest thing to try might be the system flush which is installed in the same way as a software update; can be downloaded from the supporting files section. If that doesn't fix it then I would suggest installing the custom firmware so you can do a proper investigation of te health of the hard drive rather than the rather limited check performed by the standard Humax firmware.
Before I do this, what would happen if it crashed during the update? I don't want to find myself with bricked unit.

If the unit is failing every 10 minutes, it is already nearly a brick. You haven't really got much to lose.
Have you tried disconnecting the disk and rebooting? (Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues Step 3B.)
Does the Humax stay working as a dumb set-top-box for longer than 10 minutes? If it does, that would point to hard disk based problems.

The easiest thing to try might be the system flush which is installed in the same way as a software update; can be downloaded from the supporting files section at https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads If that doesn't fix it then I would suggest installing the custom firmware so you can do a proper investigation of te health of the hard drive rather than the rather limited check performed by the standard Humax firmware.
...all of which (and more) is covered here: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues

I disconnected the HDD power and data cables and still crashed after about 10 mins. Then went to prepare a USB stick to do a system flush, but it now won't even power up, no lights, nothing :(

So I guess PSU has been failing and has now failed, how common is this? I don't see any obvious swelling on any caps, though I'm no expert. Fixing a PSU is beyond my skills and don't have the necessary equipment to test and fix anyway, though I could probably find someone.

Not sure what to do now, try to get the PSU fixed, or scrap it (though I'd rather not).

My dodgy one sometimes refuses to start at all unless it's been off for at least 10 minutes, and sometimes considerably longer.
And sometimes it runs for weeks. I suspect it is not the power supply, but the motherboard. I haven't tried fault finding by substitution using one of the working ones, as I don't want to end up with two dodgy ones.

Back