T2 seems stuck

wzevon1951

This T2 freeview seems stuck. It now has a "delete" logo buzzing away all the time that I seem unable to do anything with. It has tons of films on it from the previous owner that I was tring to get rid of, and I was able apparenly to delete individual films one at a time, but that didnt seem to affect the vacant space total, so I wasn't convinced that was actually working. There seem to be nearly 200 items there so I'm keen to be sure that individual deleting is actually working. And all through this the deleting lofo goes on. I was thinking that a format function would help, or was happy to go back to installation, but that is greyed out on the settings menu, so I can't do that. It is the 2 terrabyte version.
I had it going on my Samsung TV and generally things were going quite well. It produced its list of TV stations, but I got into deep water when I was trying to synch the Samsung remote with the Humax. The volume controls did synch succeessfully, but dioing that seemed to scramble the programme selection.
It had a very rocky journey through Hermes services, so I wondered if it is US. Oh, yes it lost its remote in that journey, so I had to buy a replacement. I was grooming it it to take over from my very expensive Sky box, but am on the verge of writing it off as a bad idea. Should I just allow it to carry on apparently deleting things? It doesnt seem to be achiecving anything. Format? Factory reset?
Any help would be gratefully received, I'm fairly handy with these sort of things, but know very little about the Humax. I have it set up on an old Sony flat screen now, and it does seem as though all the oddities I've described transferred over to that. But the positives are that it was getting stations on screen in quite a convincing way. The next step is a quiet life tucked away in the loft, or a charity shop, and I think it deserves better that that.

The deleting loop is a known occasional problem and there is info here about sorting it (Item 10).

You've posted this in the Receiver section, but clearly you have a Recorder. Hopefully a mod can move it across.

Sorry would it be better placed in another area?
If you have a HDR-FOX T2, then yes – the post should be in the HDR-FOX section of the forum not the HD-FOX section. "T2" is simply not explicit enough ("T2" is short for DVB-T2, the broadcast standard).

It now has a "delete" logo buzzing away all the time that I seem unable to do anything with. It has tons of films on it from the previous owner that I was tring to get rid of, and I was able apparenly to delete individual films one at a time, but that didnt seem to affect the vacant space total, so I wasn't convinced that was actually working.
If you initiated delete yourself rather than it occurring spontaneously, this probably isn't (I guess) the "delete loop problem" I have previously documented.

There are two things to note:
  1. It takes a long time to delete a large file, so obviously with lots of large files...

2. If the file system has made itself "read-only" it will try forever.
I would try to break the delete process by rebooting (turn it off and on again at the back) and then take stock. Report back.

Meanwhile, moderators: please move this thread.

So might it be legitimately be working through the huge task of deleting lots of huge files? I am more than happy to give it plenty of time....I must say it didn't look as though it was going anywhere....
I will reboot and report back. Thanks again.

So might it be legitimately be working through the huge task of deleting lots of huge files? I am more than happy to give it plenty of time....I must say it didn't look as though it was going anywhere....
I will reboot and report back. Thanks again.
Yes, it may appear stuck but is actually taking its time deleting.
Rather than 'Select All' (green button) and deleting everything, you can use the 'Select' (red button) to choose 10-50 recordings at a time to delete - it'll give you a chance to see how it progresses. Alternatively - just use the Menu/Settings/System/Data Storage/Format Storage to get rid of all.

Ok, it is FHTCP 1.02.28. It is still deleting, but the total stays the same. It has 1543 gb available, and that has always stayed the same. There are 186 items on the hard disc, and there is a n upright bar emblem beneath the deleting star thing, and a capital G. So I can click on individual items, and go through the delete process, that atabulates on the 1/186 counter, so I got that to read 1/184. The thing is that I'm fairly sure that it was in the 170's yesterday. I've switched it off at the back, that seemed to make no odds.
Say if it is not worth the effort.

The best thing to do is install the latest customised firmware and then use that to a) assess the physical health of the disk and b) to format the partitions.
I don't think it is not worth the effort i.e. it is worth the effort, but it's easier with better tools.
Alternatively - just use the Menu/Settings/System/Data Storage/Format Storage to get rid of all.
He said the option was disabled, presumably because it's stuck in the delete loop.

Well, I have persevered with this stuck deleting process, I have nominated a decent number of items for deleting, and the number of items to delete stays solidly on 185. I am still trying to advance the actual deleting, but am not optimistic. The two items on settings are still greyed out, which is very restrictive. Updating the operating system would be good, any sort of factory reset would be good, but I am handicapped by the options greyed out. Would an engineer be able to do more? If so how do I find one? Meantime, it seems to be playing TV stations ok, and interestingly I can play recorded films with ease. I suppose I coud just accept these 180 odd films as a fixture... I've not tried recording something, would that advance the process?

any sort of factory reset would be good, but I am handicapped by the options greyed out.
Hasn't a reboot cleared that? Presuming not, you really need to follow the instructions I linked to in post 10 (the first step being to install the CF as a firmware update, which does not require access to the on-screen menus!).

Would an engineer be able to do more?
What do you mean by "engineer"? A TV repair man unfamiliar with the HDR-FOX in particular, and unaware of this forum... definitely not. If you have a "have a go" attitude and are prepared to read and follow instructions carefully without going into meltdown, you can do this stuff yourself. That's what we're here for.

I'd have thought that the quickest fix was to do any firmware update, even without CF added, which would break the constant deleting. That should also give a factory reset and ungrey the menu so a format can be done to clear out the old recordings.
Then decide whether to get into CF tools.

I'd have thought that the quickest fix was to do any firmware update, even without CF added, which would break the constant deleting. That should also give a factory reset and ungrey the menu so a format can be done to clear out the old recordings.
Then decide whether to get into CF tools.
And the version which used to be the version of choice for this issue, is 1.01.09 available from
http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/freeview-hd-t2

Well thank you all for your support and help. It has been a fraught afternoon, apart from dodging storm desmond. Things seem to be progressing, 1.01.09 seems to have ungreyed out the greyed sections of settings, and I have gone to software options and chosen format, which is turning over now. What sort of time is allowed for a format?

What sort of time is allowed for a format?
I thought it was a few seconds for the Humax format. (It just deletes the filesystem, not actually formatting the disc. Like a Windows quick format.)
Have you had a look at the recordings list? Should be empty.

I'm fairly handy with these sort of things
So why wouldn't you have taken the minimally destructive approach of a custom fix (plus all subsequent advantages) rather than the nuke option? I'm quite surprised you were led in that direction.

Back