Telnet host disconnect

But I have trouble understanding why, except possibly for historical reasons perhaps related to storage device performance, this distinction is made.
Most Vaxes (Vaxen?) that I've come across have had the page file and swap file on the same device. There is a process called swapper which presumably deals with the swap file. Perhaps this wouldn't play nicely with the code that handles virtual memory paging - so shove the swapped out process to a separate file makes sense. Don't think there is any way to swap a process out in Windows NT - except by hibernation, which defeats the object. :cautious:

Don't think there is any way to swap a process out in Windows NT - except by hibernation, which defeats the object.
Windows 10 has three files, pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys and hiberfil.sys
Apparently swapfile is used with apps and can be disabled. see
It is not necessary to have dedicated files to achieve swapping - you can get the same effect by paging out all of the pages for a process.
This is what (I believe) IBM's mainframes operating system z/OS does but perhaps the VAX designers believed they would get better performance by writing/reading to contiguous disk storage when swapping out/in rather than using paging.

I find all this stuff staggering. "Oops, access to virtual memory space has been requested by a process, but that bit isn't mapped to real memory at the moment so let's just pause while we bung the least-used section out to disc and pull in the most recent save of the bit we want, then map it to the relevant virtual address range and unpause the process." All in the blink of an eye.

Back