1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telnet Root Access

Discussion in 'HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware' started by exH, Sep 11, 2012.

1. exH

exH New Member

Hi

How do I set the root password? My head is buzzing alarms at the idea of an unprotected box on my network.

Cheers

2. af123

af123 Administrator Staff Member

You need to install the dropbear-ssh package. That provides an SSH server which is password protected and allows you to disable the telnet server (from the web interface settings page). The default root password is humax and changing it requires a bit of work at the moment - you need to update the /mod/etc/dropbear/passwd file to insert a new password hash (or it could be the shadow file - can't remember offhand). Someone should write an update to the package to allow for simpler password changes.

3. RedEarth

RedEarth Member

Is that a dropbear specific thing? In my experience of other Linux-based devices (namely a certain fruit/pastry related one!), which has SSH as standard, you just log in with the default password, then use the passwd command to change it.

4. Ezra Pound

Ezra Pound Well-Known Member

Your 'fruit-based' product has just been setup to run SSH and not Telnet, Dropbear will setup the Humax to do the same