The Case of the Vanishing Space

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The forum software has been doing my nut in this morning. My latest tome contains several underlinings, and when I went back to look at it one in particular had no space following to separate it from the following (non-underlined) word. All the others were OK, and I put it down to a typo.

Blow me, when I went in to edit the space back in and saved, the post returned with the space gone again. I did it again, and the space went again. I went in yet again and put in a double space (knowing that the forum software annoyingly reduces multiple spaces to 1), and this time the space remained on display.

But then I went back into edit something else, and when I saved out the remaining space got eaten again!

What I cannot fathom is that it does not happen for every underlined section, although I think I have caught something similar with italic sections. I also have this problem occasionally in The Other Place.

It's one thing having an eye for precision, another thing again when the tools conspire against you!

News flash: as usual I have been in to do some titivating (like an engineer, the editor's job is never complete and eventually the boss has to come around with a gun), and I have managed to get the space to stick by removing the underline, saving the post out, and then re-establishing the underline. It must have been something odd about the placement of the formatting tags and how they were then interpreted, but as we have no "view raw" option I can't comment further.

How does it look when you preview your post before saving? does that show anything unexpected?

I don't know, I never bother with the preview because (unlike some other forums) the edit option has no downside, so I effectively "preview" by going live and then re-reading.

I have just seen (I had forgotten) that creating/editing posts using Safari on the iTouch (presumably also iPhone/iPad) uses raw mode, and the formatting tags are writ large. If I get this problem again I'll have a look at what's going on (if I remember!).

It must have been something odd about the placement of the formatting tags and how they were then interpreted, but as we have no "view raw" option I can't comment further.
What happens if you create the message in the normal editor then use the "BB code editor" to examine it?

OOo... Hadn't spotted that one. I'll keep it in mind next time.

Testing vanishing space

Nope, can't make it do it now :(

Back