The Dash Away From (Natural) Gas

So that's it, end of the road. I'm having a 35kW hydrogen-ready Ideal combi fitted... but not for three weeks (due to diary conflicts).

Make sure it has a stainless steel heat exchanger in each section, no aluminium anywhere in the water circuits!

SWMBO likes a 'power shower' and over the years we tried various permutations.
Pumped - Horribly noisy, and failed when we had a power cut with guests just about to have a morning shower.
Combi - OK for shower but 20 mins to fill a bath? :( That went out the door within a year.
Mains pressure HW tank - Brilliant, but when we moved the regs had changed (annual testing) and routing the safety overflow in the new (current) house was problematic as the cupboard is in the middle of the house.
So ... Thermal store. Basically a back to front copper cylinder (cold fed at low pressure from loft) where the bulk (part of the boiler/CH system) is kept hot by the boiler and the coil has mains cold water fed into it to give mains hot water out. The low volume of the coil means there is no requirement for a safety valve & vent or annual testing. It's not perfect but gives a good shower and sensible bath filling times.

I've stuck with Vaillant for boilers for some years now as they seem good (Which? recommended IIRC).

20 mins to fill a bath?
Shirley not! How many kW was it? My 27kW had no problem filling a bath as fast as the water would flow. Yes, OK, the Highflow had a reservoir, but that only suppled two gallons up front. This new one is specified as 35kW.

Make sure it has a stainless steel heat exchanger in each section, no aluminium anywhere in the water circuits!
Well, it's done. No, not Valliant, but the significantly less expensive Ideal Logic C35 (35kW Combi). Yes, it has an alloy heat exchanger, but then again I don't expect to be living here in another 10 years (and even if I am, who knows what the situation will be re domestic energy). This unit is advertised (on the Ideal website) as "Ready for 20% Hydrogen", but it is not stated in the installation manual so far as I can see.

1637407770163.png

There was a wrinkle in that these new-fangled "condensing" boilers recover what used to be waste heat from the flue emissions in the heat exchanger, extracting the latent heat of evaporation from the water vapour in the combustion products. That results in a flow of condensate which has to be disposed of, comprising water made acidic by the carbon and sulphur in the gas supply, so it has to be discharged to the foul water sewer.

As there is no convenient access to the foul drain from my boiler compartment, a sump receives the condensate drain, and the sump contains a float-activated pump which periodically sends the condensate into the roof space and there into pipework connected through to the soil stack.

An interesting point: during commissioning, my installer checked the full-blast energy consumption by monitoring the gas meter to see what volume of gas was consumed over a period of 2 minutes. The resulting measurement was 0.346 (cubic metres?), and he reckoned that meant the boiler was running at 34.6kW.

According to my gas bills, 25 "meter units" works out as 279.1kWh, so a 35kW burner should consume 3.135 units/hour, or 0.1 units/2 minutes. I don't get it. Even if I've mis-remembered and the figure was 0.034 units, it's a factor of 3 wrong either way.

a sump receives the condensate drain, and the sump contains a float-activated pump which periodically sends the condensate into the roof space and there into pipework connected through to the soil stack.
What could possibly go wrong? :)

An interesting point: during commissioning, my installer checked the full-blast energy consumption by monitoring the gas meter to see what volume of gas was consumed over a period of 2 minutes. The resulting measurement was 0.346 (cubic metres?), and he reckoned that meant the boiler was running at 34.6kW.

According to my gas bills, 25 "meter units" works out as 279.1kWh, so a 35kW burner should consume 3.135 units/hour, or 0.1 units/2 minutes. I don't get it. Even if I've mis-remembered and the figure was 0.034 units, it's a factor of 3 wrong either way.
The only way I can get the maths to work is if we assume the installer was using imperial measurement and 0.0364 cu ft (not 0.346)!
Using something like https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/gas_meter_readings
We get 0.0364 cu ft × 30 = 1.092 units per hour = 34.5712 kWh
But - this is just guesswork (may explain why your calculations were out by a factor of 3).

What could possibly go wrong? :)
I know! No alternative, but at least there is a limit switch (float) which cuts the boiler if the level in the sump reaches critical (ie about to overflow because the pump has failed or the outlet is blocked).

or the outlet is blocked
Freezing in the roof space could be a worry, but I suppose that as it's going to blast a lot through periodically, rather than trickling to drain all the time, that may not be a real issue.
Assuming there are no sags in any non-vertical pipework - it's plastic presumably.

I agree that works... but we're talking about the measurement being taken on the same meter as I get billed from!
I forgot about that. For some reason I imagined he was using a separate measuring device.
But, you're right, my calculations are very wide of the mark because there are some intermediate steps. You may be able to do the calculation yourself as using the figures he gave you - eg search for 'boiler flow rate calculation' and see if that resembles what he did etc.

which cuts the boiler if the level in the sump reaches critical
But how will you know that's the cause rather than anything else?
It still amazes me that modern boilers don't have anything more than primitive user controls.
I've just had a new one (I'm still traumatised by the whole thing for various reasons) and it's got a computer brain which must have oodles of interesting monitoring stuff, but is completely inaccessible. Why hasn't it got a network port and a web server (for example)?

Look up "opentherm". This boiler has a data port.

But how will you know that's the cause rather than anything else?
Only be elimination, or by looking in the sump. But for my own satisfaction, I plan to add a warning light.

Back