the end of ESPN channel 34

i for one will miss this when it goes at the end of july this year

being a big football fan, but not prepared to pay what sky asks, this channel gave me a great fix of top european league action, and now it seems that as BT are gonna take over their UK operations that the freeview channel 34 will cease to exist.

unless anyone knows different, it looks as tho my regular fix of german, french, italian and dutch football will be over before next season starts.

ok so i'll be £11.99 a month better off but my life will be less fulfilled!!
before anyone suggests signing up for BT i am just at the very start of an 18 month talktalk youview contract, which, of course, also includes broadband. so i cant just jack that in

first setanta, then ESPN, is channel 34 cursed!!??

anyone got any idea whats gonna happen to this when BT takes over ESPN's UK oparations on august 1st??

their website (BTs) makes it look like you can only get it thru sky or via BT broadband

the ESPN website gives nothing away either! as a subscriber and european football fan i am slightly concerned that i'm gonna lose all access to this action

I guess this falls in the gap between people keen enough to pay for Sky Sports and people unwilling to pay anything at all - ie not enough subscribers to make it pay.

I just got my letter from the clowns at topup TV. Looks like the 2 sky sport channels are also closing.

Any news on what is going to fill 3 empty channels?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

is that official ezra?? topuptv have been contacting me with a nice sky offer of everything for £25pm, but its only for 12 months

if the bt sports are taking over freeview then i'd be interested in that way, but its still only ESPN i really want for european football, but it seems i'd have to take bt infinity, as we're not cabled here, middle of sheffield in the 21st century, its beyond me why not! and as i've still got a year to go on talktalk im stuck/shafted but the demise of channel 34!

I believe that the same company that manages topup tv subscriptions is the same company that manages subscriptions for Sky. I wonder if there has been some influence from the larger customer.

is that official ezra?? topuptv have been contacting me with a nice sky offer of everything for £25pm, but its only for 12 months

if the bt sports are taking over freeview then i'd be interested in that way, but its still only ESPN i really want for european football, but it seems i'd have to take bt infinity, as we're not cabled here, middle of sheffield in the 21st century, its beyond me why not! and as i've still got a year to go on talktalk im stuck/shafted but the demise of channel 34!

I think it's Sky that has been shafting everyone for so long. Looks like you can pay an extra £30 for Sky Sports

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/broadband/v-plus?portalId=ExistentLtd

PS Am I right in thinking that cable and fibre optic are the same?

PS Am I right in thinking that cable and fibre optic are the same?
No they are not the same, cable is usually Co-ax copper wire, similar to a TV/satellite cable, it has finite bandwidth, whereas fibre is light travelling down a glass medium, similar to to the SP-DIF optical audio medium, as many 'colours' of light can be transported down the same fibre simultaneously, it's bandwidth is almost infinate

espn is still broadcasting on freeview until 31/7

my problem is that i have almost no interest in the premier league, i support torquay united, and am very interested in european football, particularly the german, italian, french and dutch football that espn has and will have this coming season too.
i was quite happy paying my £11.99 pm subs to get this thru freeview. i have no interest in either the content or the cost of subscribing to sky sports thru whatever medium, but i would be interested in continuing thru espn.
we are not in a cable area, and out current dl speed is about 3.3, talktalk keep telling me i can get fibreoptic for a fiver extra, but means signing up for a further 18 months, when i'm thinking of signing for bt in 11 when the contract ends. not even sure that fibre exists on our road, how can it when all we have are telephone cables to our house, they havent restrung the poles with optical cables while i've lived here and the def havent dug up our road in the last ten years!!
why dont freeview or youview do a deal with just espn as currently? damn sky, damn BT!!

The point of BT's FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is just that. They run fibre from the exchange to a green cabinet somewhere near you - the one that the copper wires from your house currently go into. The new cabinet is usually powered and contains a UPS and air conditioning but often positioned next to the new one. The cabinet contains DSL termination equipment so the rest of the connection is using the same copper wires that your house has always had, just that effectively your distance to the exchange is significantly reduced and so you get much faster speeds. You might not even notice any digging (although you should notice the new cabinets)

bixieupnorth : not even sure that fibre exists on our road, how can it when all we have are telephone cables to our house
The most common (practically the only) fibre broadband you will be offered to your house is called 'Fibre to the kerb' or 'fibre to the cabinet', where they replace the copper cable between the telephone exchange and a street cabinet. The copper from the cabinet to your house remains. This VDSL system is much faster because the bandwidth restriction is only in the copper section which would be a lot shorter from your house to the cabinet

You might not even notice any digging (although you should notice the new cabinets)

Which, here in Sheffield, and possibly elsewhere, have BT OPENREACH written all over them!

I did see them shooting new cables along underneath our verge, though. You can check on BT's site whether you can get Infinity.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

The point of BT's FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is just that. They run fibre from the exchange to a green cabinet somewhere near you - the one that the copper wires from your house currently go into. The new cabinet is usually powered and contains a UPS and air conditioning but often positioned next to the new one. The cabinet contains DSL termination equipment so the rest of the connection is using the same copper wires that your house has always had, just that effectively your distance to the exchange is significantly reduced and so you get much faster speeds. You might not even notice any digging (although you should notice the new cabinets)

Couldn't have put it better myself. I work for Openreach and maintain these DSLAM's

in woodseats mike, def not one of those on our little cul-de-sac! will use the postcode checker, but 3.3mbps in one of the biggest cities in the country is very very poor

Back