The program cannot be viewed via HDMI connection Flashes on Screen

Chris74

I am having the following problem with my Humax HDR-FOX T2 500gb purchased yesterday, I have a LG Model No: 32LC56-ZC 32" LCD TV and am using the HDMI cable that was supplied with the Humax HDR-FOX T2, I get the following message flash up every few seconds which is very annoying (as shown in the video please see the youtube link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWjV1vsfbY4

"The program cannot be viewed via HDMI connection
because your TV does not support digital content
protection (HDCP). Disconnect the HDMI cable and connect
the SCART or composite video connection to watch
program in standard resolution."

I have installed the latest firmware FHTCP 1.02.20 released on 10th June 2011 and this has still NOT resolved the issue. The problem only seems to occur on the Channls Yesterday and Dave which is odd the signal strength on these channels are around 63% and the Quality is showing 100%.

Obviously the problem goes away when unplugging the HDMI cable but not using the HDMI cable defeats the object of having a HD box.

Does anyone have an ideas how to resolve this or at least suppress the message?

Thanks

Chris

I would say the TV is to blame. Something is wrong with the HDMI handshake. Have you tried a different cable?

This isn't a general LG problem because I use an LG 32LD690. Might be a fault with your TV in particular. Maybe try a different HDMI input (if you have more than one)?

I had a similar problem when I had a scart lead connected to the TV as well. Using solely HDMI resolved this for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I this morning have tried using a different HDMI Port which didnt make any difference to the problem.

With regards to the firmware, an update can only be carried out by an LG Engineer in a LG service center, so think ill need to explore other avenues before unplugging the TV and carting it off to an LG Centre which is bound to be halfway up the country from Southend.

This afternoon I tried disconnecting the scart cable and the message is not flashing up, I put the scart cable back and the message is still not flashing up, unfortunately I didnt check if the problem was there just before I unplugged the scart, will keep an eye on it and try unplugging the scart permentantley if it happens again.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far and will keep the forum updated

That's interesting.
Yes, I originally had the HDR connected to TV via both SCART and HDMI. This was because SWMBO did not like fiddling with source selection on the TV remote. When powering on the HDR the SCART signal from the HDR autoswitched the TV to the HDR's SCART output, which she liked. However, In the meantime the HDR was also trying to negotiate an HDMI connection to the TV (which is now on the SCART input so not listening to HDMI handshakes) Result was you got the aforesaid banner about lack of HDCP support superimposed on the screen. If HDMI CEC worked as it should the SCART would not have been needed in the first place. Anyway, I just ditched the SCART connection in the end and educated SWMBO.

Lol, that's what I did! Hummy SCART is hanging out of the back of the TV. Ready for a quick re-connection if required!

The dreaded message came back again today, again only appeared on the weaker channels again.

Again I unplugged the Scart and plugged it back in again and the message disappeared, unfortunately I cant leave the scart out as its my parents box and they like the autoswitching which the HDMI does not do (I cant seem to train them to push the input button on the TV to get to HDMI), thankfully they dont plan to record anything on the affected channels anyway.

Hopefully the problem will go away when the signal on he weaker muxes improves when Sudbury has its final power up in June 2012

I have a variation of this problem. Brand new HDR FOX T2 connected as follows:
FOX t2 to Philips 1080P TV by HDMI
FOX T2 to Pioneer HDR 420 (hard disk / DVD recorder) by SCART only
Pioneer to TV by SCART
When FOX T2 is switched on TV swithces to SCART input automatically because FOX T2 SCART signal gets to TV through Pioneer machine. Message appears. HDMI input on TV NOT selected
Then if I choose HDMI input on TV everything is OK - no message.
I phoned Humax and the guy seemed to think it was related to use of both HDMI and SCART to TV at the same time. I suppose I don't really need the FOX T2 to Pioneer SCART as I can't think of a good reason for it.

But any ideas on the cause?

I have a variation of this problem. Brand new HDR FOX T2 connected as follows:
FOX t2 to Philips 1080P TV by HDMI
FOX T2 to Pioneer HDR 420 (hard disk / DVD recorder) by SCART only
Pioneer to TV by SCART
When FOX T2 is switched on TV swithces to SCART input automatically because FOX T2 SCART signal gets to TV through Pioneer machine. Message appears. HDMI input on TV NOT selected
Then if I choose HDMI input on TV everything is OK - no message.
I phoned Humax and the guy seemed to think it was related to use of both HDMI and SCART to TV at the same time. I suppose I don't really need the FOX T2 to Pioneer SCART as I can't think of a good reason for it.

But any ideas on the cause?

Some sort of rf radiation between the scart and hdmi cables possibly. Maybe better screened cables or greater physical seperation might help.

No, this kind of issue when both HDMI and SCART connections are used simultaneously has been seen before. There is some kind of conflict in the HDMI handshake - the simultaneous use of SCART prevents the successful handshake and you get what you are seeing. When you want to record via SCART you need to unplug the HDMI.

I must be lucky. I have both Scart and HDMI connected at the same time with no interference. My 42" tv was made by Evesham. Not that common.
I mostly watch via Scart as the upscaled SD picture quality is very good. I use HDMI, when tuned to a HD programme, for superior sound quality when connected to my HiFi speakers.

I'm confused. I *think* the "problem" (a feature, actually) occurs because the HDMI receiver is not completing the handshake when it is distracted to the SCART input. In cases where the HDMI link is broken completely, or where the HDMI link is properly negotiated regardless of the SCART, it works.

Something I have noticed with my set-up (LG TV, SCART output used for sound), if I stop viewing the Humax HDMI source the sound take-off gets regular periodic interruptions - little doubt an indication of the same thing.

PS: Branded Evesham yes, but I wonder who actually made it?

I'm confused. I *think* the "problem" (a feature, actually) occurs because the HDMI receiver is not completing the handshake when it is distracted to the SCART input. In cases where the HDMI link is broken completely, or where the HDMI link is properly negotiated regardless of the SCART, it works.

Something I have noticed with my set-up (LG TV, SCART output used for sound), if I stop viewing the Humax HDMI source the sound take-off gets regular periodic interruptions - little doubt an indication of the same thing.

PS: Branded Evesham yes, but I wonder who actually made it?

I used to get similar with a HD FOX till I gave the HD a seperate hdmi input on my Denon amp, loss of picture reported on the RGB output when not viewing the output via hdmi (rather than through a hdmi auto switch).

In effect I use RGB and hdmi at the same time. The RGB feeds a RGB component converter which connects to one input on my Denon amp. This routes the signal to a kitchen TV via the amp zone 2 out.

No, this kind of issue when both HDMI and SCART connections are used simultaneously has been seen before. There is some kind of conflict in the HDMI handshake - the simultaneous use of SCART prevents the successful handshake and you get what you are seeing. When you want to record via SCART you need to unplug the HDMI.
I've been thinking about a conflict since seeing your comment.
It occurs to me that when the FOX-T2 is operating it sends am HDMI signal to the TV. Simultaneously it sends a SCART signal to the Pioneer's AV2 (input).
But the TV also sends a SCART signal (originating from its HDMI signal) to the Pioneer's AV1 through the bidirectional SCART cable. So the Pioneer is getting two signals for the same thing. Then the Pioneer is sending a (confused) signal out through the AV1 to the TV.
This is clearly a conflict in the Pioneer and I'm not surprised that some odd effect occurs.
Turning off the Pioneer "SCART through in standby" is the same as unplugging either the HDMI or the FOX-T2 to Pioneer SCART - one of the conflict paths is removed.
I've just done some picture comparisons between the HDMI and the SCART path via the Pioneer (all RGB) on the TV and I've come to the conclusion that the Freeview upscaling in the FOX-T2 with the HDMI connection isn't discernibly different from the upscaling that the TV does, and the automatic input selection by the TV using SCART is nice to have.. The TV is a Philips 42" PFL9632 which had very good reports on its picture quality.
So I'll disconnect the HDMI until HDTV arrives in our region, then decide if it's worth the HDMI again. It's a pity that the HDMI design didn't include automatic source switching like SCART.
Thanks for the conflict idea.

Back