TheTVDB.com Integration

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Prompted by recent discussions in other threads, I've been working on updating the web interface to use data from TheTVDB.com, initially to improve episode name detection. They provide an API that I've hooked in with appropriate caching and the latest published version of the web interface, 1.2.2-3 has test support for this although it is not enabled by default.

What you will see with webif 1.2.2-3, is a new field in the pop-up window that appears when you click on a recording in the web interface:

2015-03-10 10_01_15-Humax HDR Fox T2 (humax).png

Without TVDB integration, this field shows the series and episode number if it has been able to extract it from the synopsis. A lot of the providers have begun to add this information, which is helpful, although they all use a slightly different format and aren't even consistent with that, which isn't.
It also shows the episode name that it extracted from the synopsis (which is the one used by dedup). In this case it hasn't been very successful, because the episode name isn't there to be found.

If I now enable the test TVDB integration using the tvdb/on diagnostic:

2015-03-10 10_14_33-Humax HDR Fox T2 (humax).png

Much better for this case. The debug area shows how it found the episode and the synopsis from TheTVDB.com. The number after the series name in the Episode line (82459) is clickable and will take you to the database viewer showing the episode database which has been cached for this series. The cached data is all stored in /mod/var/tvdb/.

Here's an example where it was able to extract the episode name and then used that to find the series and episode information:

2015-03-10 10_19_16-Humax HDR Fox T2 (humax).png

And another where it has had to attempt to find the episode using phrase matching between the broadcast and tvdb synopses:

2015-03-10 10_23_14-Humax HDR Fox T2 (humax).png

This one is the most problematic and where I need testing and help with the algorithm. There are often shared phrases between the two synopses - "hunt for the missing remains of what is believed" in the above for example but not always. This method currently works very well for some series and fails completely for others.

I'll write up details of the current algorithm in the next post later but if anyone wants to enable this and have a play, please do! It isn't currently used by dedup or sweeper, just by this pop-up box in the web interface.

There is one more case that appears which is when the episode number can be determined but not the series. If this happens then the system uses the episode number to narrow down the list of possibilities prior to applying phrase matching.

Looks great idea, will update box and have a test later!

Can you imagine what we could get if someone with the skill and enthuiasm the likes of af123 would be employed Humax etc. as opposed to their occasional bug fixer / introducer!

Unfortunately doing something as a wage slave is rarely as motivating as doing it as an enthusiast at the time one happens to feel enthused.

It's clever stuff though.

Good job af123, I think there could be lots of uses for the new TV database. I am not getting the clickable links e.g. 82495 and 281630 above displayed in blue, so they don't look like a working link, although the links do work
EDIT
Have just realised that the database links are only available in debug mode (tvdb/on) anyway, so not really a problem

Last edited:
Unfortunately doing something as a wage slave is rarely as motivating as doing it as an enthusiast at the time one happens to feel enthused.

It's clever stuff though.
Even an enthusiastic wage slave is usually constrained to work on what is in the companies business plan rather than what is interesting / useful :(

BTW TVDB.com is not the same as theTVDB.com - serves me right for typing the name without double checking!

I like the idea, but it is not working for me... but it looks like that is because I do not keep my series in their series directory.

I have Scorpion/Charades recorded... this is what I see
- the Episode field shows "s?e?? - Charades (toWatch)"
series and episode numbers are not in the synopsis
toWatch is the folder name I set on all the series that I prioritise first.​
- there is no Debug field (although tvdb/on reports that it ran successfully)

I also have The 100/Remember me. The series and episode numbers are in the synopsis and are extracted correctly.
But again, it assumes that the folder name is the series and shows no TVDB information.

Is it possible to use something other than the enclosing folder to supply the series name?
The series record and the programme title should be sufficient, I think?

af123 this is just awesome.

How would you like us to report back on any success / failure?

I have a few series record set that I can test this on.

Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives

Debug found it as:

s21e7 - Old School Joints (Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives/82918)

It's actually:

s07e11 - 1373001 7 11 Family Style Louie's Restaurant (Providence, RI), Cafe Pita + (Houston, TX), Mambo's Cafe (Glendale, CA)

Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives - s07e11.png

Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives

Debug found it as:

s12e3 - You Can Only Get it Here (Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives/82918)

It's actually:

s07e12 - 1373011 7 12 Diners Times Three The Little Depot Diner (Peabody, MA), Santa Cruz Diner (Santa Cruz, CA), Diner (Norman, OK)

Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives - s07e12.png

On a more positive note, some series that I still have in their series folder seem to be finding information successfully except as indicated.

OOPS, started off by looking good, but as I went on, found more that were incorrect.
But, hey, teething troubles in a useful development.
If you want additional information on any, or feedback on any after an update... happy to help.

Only Connect
EXCEPT the following were incorrectly identified
- most of the episodes are "Found using episode number" but shown as s? rather than s10 (but some do have s10)
- Comic relief Special 2014 incorrectly identified as s?e3 (theTVDB lists it correctly as s0e21)
- s10e9 incorrectly identified as s7e9
- most of the episodes s10e1 to 8 incorrectly identified as s9.
- I have the last few of s9 and they seem to be OK.
Arthur & George; episodes 1 & 2 "Found using synopsis text"
George Clarke's Amazing Spaces; episodes s4e5 to s4e8 "Found using synopsis text"
Homes by the Sea; episodes s1e6 "Found using synopsis text" but incorrectly identified as s1e7
Homes by the Sea; episodes s1e7 "Found using synopsis text"
The Graham Norton Show; the last dozen episodes all "Found using episode number"
EXCEPT the following were incorrectly identified
- s16e13/22 incorrectly identified as s8e13/22
- s16e17/22 incorrectly identified as s10e17/22
- Eastenders Special incorrectly identified as Christmas Special (theTVDB lists it as s0e10)
- s16e19/22 incorrectly identified as s10e10/22
You Can't Get the Staff; episodes s1e4 & s1e5 "Found using synopsis text"

Some episodes of the BBC Father Brown series (2013-2015) are being matched against the 1974 series starring Kenneth Moore! http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=70416&lid=7
rather than the correct series http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=265834&lid=7
Could be a problem with other remakes like Poldark
Title Father Brown
Synopsis 1/15. The Man in the Shadows: Series based on GK Chesterton's novels. Father Brown finds himself embroiled with MI5, which puts Lady Felicia in a compromising position. Also in HD. [AD,S]
Episode s1e1/15 - The Hammer of God (Father Brown/
70416)
DEBUG Found using episode number
A retired colonel, who has been having an adulterous affair, is found dead, his head caved in, with the blacksmith's hammer left nearby. The police have several suspects, but can Father Brown, a visiting priest with a fondness for puzzles, solve the mystery?
{Father Brown}
{6734 4}

Some entries that weren't matched to theTVDB show rather odd formatting of the episode information with duplicate episode number:
Synopsis 9/10. The Mayor and the Magician: The mayor drops dead during his speech at the Kembleford village fete. Also in HD. [AD,S]
Episode s?e9/10 - 9/10. The Mayor and the Magician (Father Brown/70416)

A first look here suggests that not allowing words like "and", "the", etc, to be used in the phrase matching would be a good thing.

e.g. I have one that (incorrectly) matched based on:

Code:
 {the Far East} {on a} {from the} {the Far} {Far East} {and the}

where the only real searchable phrase is "Far East" - all the others are too common, yet probably make the search engine believe that it's found a better match than it has.

Edit:

Also, make the minimum word length of a phrase to be 3 words (or more).

Last edited:
I still have recordings with blank synopsis (multiple regions). While the recording is in progress webif displays the synopsis in the [debug] field and the synopsis field is blank. This information disappears when the recording finishes. ( EPGpatch is no longer working like it did). Could recomn which monitors recordings finishing grab this information and use it?

Also if for example the recording was series 9 episode 10 would it be possible to then use webif to automatically search the EPG to ensure series 9 episode 11 was scheduled? say for example if series link was broken?

Last edited:
Our box recorded 4 episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins And Dives, 2 it got the correct episode, 2 it failed.

I had an idea when I clicked on the database episode number to check for the correct episode.

Would it be possible that if I could manually select the correct episode that could be stored for other users to access?

Bugs found so far
  • Non-alphabetic characters muck things up
    • Channel 5 calls it "Thomas and Friends", but TheTVDB calls it "Thomas & Friends" and so no matches are found.
    • "Bob the Builder: Project Build It" fails to match as the Humax translates the colon into an underscore.
    • Episode titles like "Boo! Made You Jump" from Charlie and Lola won't match.
That said, it is doing some impressive matches on some very odd EPG data.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll go through it as soon as I can find some time.

How would you like us to report back on any success / failure?

The sorts of things that have already been posted are great

To start with I want to iron out any bugs in the handling of 'simple' cases as I think it will take a lot of effort/discussion to nail down the phrase matching.
In particular:
  • when the system can't extract episode/series numbers from the synopsis - if you provide the entire synopsis that will help;
  • when the episode name matching doesn't work as expected;
  • any surprises (such as the Father Brown one!);
There are already reports for some of these in this thread that I'll go through.. just a bit snowed under.

I'll try to write up the current phrase matching algorithm soon too.

I think finding the correct series in theTVDB is going to prove quite a challenge in some cases.
So far I have discovered mismatches in three cases: Father Brown, Poldark, and The Chase.

theTVDB has four entries four series called The Chase plus numerous other series with Chase in the title
Code:
Show Title Language Show ID
The Chase English 167761
The Chase (2009) English 252963
The Chase (2013) English 271955
The Chase: Celebrity Special English 292843
The first one which you are currently attempting to use is actually
This is a popular BBC drama written by Kay Mellor and based around Chevin Chase veterinary practice. The family members running the practice are the focus of this multi-plotline drama.
and nothing to do with the afternoon quiz show which is actually the second entry in the list

Title The Chase
Synopsis Quiz show hosted by Bradley Walsh. Four contestants must pit their wits against the Chaser, a ruthless quiz genius determined to stop them winning the cash prize.
Episode s1e2 - Episode 2 (The Chase/167761)
DEBUG Found using synopsis text
It's Sarah's first day in the practice and just the thought of it is giving her nightmares. During the morning household scrum she puts on her battle armour to face the big day - hair, make-up, suit - looking every inch the professional. But it's a costume hiding her big secret. Practice Manager Deborah isn't very welcoming and her encounter with Sarah leaves feathers severely ruffled. Sarah's first client of the day is a border collie which needs a mammary strip - a straightforward operation but tricky without an ultrasound. Fiona has the dog prepped, but when Sarah realises that the practice doesn't even have an ultrasound she freaks and walks out, heading back to David and London. Unknown to Sarah, her sly ex appears to be entertaining another woman. Anna is furious and bombards Sarah with some hard home truths and accuses her of constantly running away. Anna drops the shocking bombshell that their mother used to run away and cheated on their father, George. Furious and cornered, Sarah finally makes her big confession, "I'm not a vet any more. I gave it up two and a half years ago. I lost my confidence. I lost a dog... the blood kept on coming." Anna is shocked into silence. At the front desk, Deborah's dealing with the angry collie owner. It's Sarah's old flame, local farmer, Adrian Huby. He's delighted to see her again, but Sarah's intent on getting back to London. On the way home, she's haunted by her memories and decides to face her inner demons. Determined to confront the past head on, she returns to the practice to operate on Adrian's collie. It's touch and go for a while but after a tense two-hour operation, the dog pulls through. Eager to make the practice a success, Sarah sells her car to pay for the ultrasound equipment. She also calls David to tell him it's over once and for all. George and Claudie's return stuns Sarah and Anna. It transpires they've been stuck in Liverpool for two days as George's passport was out of date. George confides to Sarah that he's not ready to leave Oxley. Elsewhere, a feline client forces Rick and Clare to take a step closer. Meanwhile, Tom's secret is spiralling out of control as he struggles to meet Fiona's demands. In her stalker style, Fiona confides she wants Tom to be a proper father to Theo, and that their night of passion wasn't a mistake - she chose him.
{determined to}
{2557721 4}

To further complicate the issue Challenge shows the American version of the show, the third The Chase entry, under the title The Chase USA.

Also whilst although there is a series entry for The Chase: Celebrity Special there are no episodes listed (a couple of celebrity specials are listed under the main series)

None of the synopsis contain any useful information that could help you determine series and episode!

You may well decide that for a game show like The Chase it is not worth attempting to determine episode information but then you need to develop a set of exclusion rules - I don't think it is helpful to describe every episode as s1e2 - Episode 2 .I presented The Chase more as an example of the potential problems with series matching.

I don't have any actual recordings to look at but I suspect you will have significant problems with series like Wallander which have been produced numerous times in different languages. The BBC has shown both the Kenneth Branagh and Swedish versions under the same title.

I don't have any good ideas to resolve the problem other than to suggest you are likely to need to search all series that start with the series name - ignoring suffixes like USA and punctuation ('&' vs 'and' etc)

The recent Channel 4 comedy "Catastrophe" matches against the 2008 Tony Robinson documentary series about asteroids (http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=84047&lid=7). I suspect this is more to do with TheTVDB's database.

Other mistakes:
Synopsis Boo! Made You Jump!: Children's animation with the siblings. It is easy for Charlie to make Lola jump. Lola wants to make Charlie jump, and tries hiding, ghosts and scary stories. [AD,S]
Episode s1e13 - You Won't Like This Present as Much as I Do (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Today is Lotta's birthday and Lola wants to get her a very special present. They've given Lola some coins and they take her to the store, along with Charlie, to pick out a present. Lola has some imaginative ideas for presents --- but Charlie helps her out, reminding her that a good present is one Lotta can actually use and the present must be something that actually exists. So much for Lola's ideas of a "musical skipping rope" or wings for her to fly with. Lola eventually stumbles upon a great idea --- a doctor's kit --- but trouble arises when Lola wants to use the present for herself.
{Lola wants to} {and tries hiding,} {with the} {It is} {for Charlie} {Charlie to} {to make} {Lola wants} {wants to} {and tries} {tries hiding,}
{308810 14} {308802 14} {308812 14} {308806 14} {308818 12} {308813 12} {180463 8} {365727 8} {308817 8}

Synopsis How Many More Minutes to Christmas?: Children's animation with brother and sister Charlie and Lola. Lola discovers there is no door for Christmas Day on her advent calendar. [AD,S]
Episode s3e14 - Help I Really Mean It (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Granny and Grandpa's cat, Caspar, has come to stay with Charlie and Lola. Lola loves looking after Caspar but keeps calling for Charlie's help. Lola and Lotta think that it's quite fun calling for Charlie and watching him come running. Fun, that is, until Caspar gets stuck up in the sky and Lola and Lotta really need Charlie's help.
{Charlie and Lola. Lola} {Charlie and Lola.} {and Lola. Lola} {Charlie and} {and Lola.} {Lola. Lola} {Lola discovers} {there is} {for Christmas} {on her}
{365722 32} {346618 12} {180457 8} {348903 4} {348902 4} {348898 4} {348899 4} {348905 4} {312143 4}

Synopsis I Am Hurrying, I'm Almost Nearly Ready!: Children's animation. Charlie wants Lola to hurry so they are not late for school. Unfortunately there are too many exciting distractions.
Episode s1e6 - We do promise honestly we CAN look after your DOG (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Lola and her friend Lotta know everything there is to know about dogs. So they are really pleased when Marv lets them look after Sizzles in the park
{so they are} {Charlie wants} {Lola to} {so they} {they are} {are not} {there are}
{180462 14} {346624 4} {346625 4} {308797 4} {348902 4} {346627 4} {308809 4} {308799 4} {308813 4}

Synopsis I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed: Children's animation with the brother and sister. When Charlie manages to make Lola feel sleepy there's a surprise waiting for him in bed.
Episode s2e23 - I Will Not Ever Never Forget You, Nibbles (Charlie and Lola/75933)
When Charlie's parents decide that he is responsible enough to have a pet, he gets a mouse named Nibbles. Both he and Lola soon begin having a lot of good times with Nibbles. They teach him many tricks and he proves to be the cleverest pet on "Bring Your Pet to School Day." When Nibbles passes away, Lola seems more broken up about it than Charlie. Charlie helps Lola to see that he's sad too, to cope with the loss and to ultimately celebrate what they both love about Nibbles.
{and I} {Not Go} {Go to} {with the} {When Charlie} {manages to} {to make} {a surprise} {for him}
{320663 8} {312143 8} {308804 8} {348900 4} {348906 4} {348897 4} {348903 4} {180458 4} {180459 4}

Synopsis I Can Do Everything That's Anything All on My Own: Animation series about a pair of siblings. Lola wants to do everything on her own, but can a see-saw work with only one person? [AD,S]
Episode s2e11 - Charlie is Broken! (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Charlie and Lola are planning to put on their very own circus show. Lola wants to do forward rolls for the show, but is having trouble doing them without Charlie's help. They head to the park to practice their show and then Charlie plays some football with Marv. Lola hears Charlie crying and finds that he's hurt his arm. At first, she's upset when he can't do anything, but then she finds the perfect way to help him.
{Lola wants to do} {All on My} {a pair of} {Lola wants to} {wants to do} {her own, but} {Can Do} {All on} {on My} {about a} {a pair} {pair of} {Lola wants} {wants to} {to do} {on her} {her own,} {own, but} {but can} {can a}
{308802 32} {180458 22} {308810 18} {315234 14} {375247 14} {308812 14} {308818 8} {180465 8} {348900 4}

Synopsis I Love Going to Granny and Grandpa's It's Just That ...: Animation about a brother and sister. Charlie and Lola are going to see their grandparents, but Lola is worried. [AD,S]
Episode s1e24 - I Want To Be Much More Bigger Like You (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Charlie and Lola are going to the amusement park and Lola is excited about the idea of perhaps finally getting to ride the exciting ride called the "super duper loop-the-looper." She's convinced that this is the year that she'll be tall enough to ride it. Charlie's not sure --- he doesn't think she's grown all that much. Measuring their heights on the wall seems to confirm it. But Lola's not discouraged and tries to make herself grow. Then, Charlie has an idea on how to convince her that there are positive aspects to being kind of small.
{Charlie and Lola are going} {and Lola are going to} {Charlie and Lola are} {and Lola are going} {Lola are going to} {Granny and Grandpa's} {Charlie and Lola} {and Lola are} {Lola are going} {are going to} {but Lola is} {Going to} {Granny and} {and Grandpa's} {about a} {Charlie and} {and Lola} {Lola are} {are going} {going to} {to see} {but Lola} {Lola is}
{308813 100} {365724 46} {308802 32} {348898 32} {308814 32} {308803 32} {375246 28} {365722 28} {375247 18}

Synopsis I Will Not Ever Never Forget You Nibbles: Children's animation. Charlie and Lola love Charlie's pet mouse Nibbles. When Nibbles dies, Lola is very sad. [AD,S]
Charlie and Lola are going to the amusement park and Lola is excited about the idea of perhaps finally getting to ride the exciting ride called the "super duper loop-the-looper." She's convinced that this is the year that she'll be tall enough to ride it. Charlie's not sure --- he doesn't think she's grown all that much. Measuring their heights on the wall seems to confirm it. But Lola's not discouraged and tries to make herself grow. Then, Charlie has an idea on how to convince her that there are positive aspects to being kind of small.
{Charlie and Lola} {Lola is very} {Charlie and} {and Lola} {Lola love} {When Nibbles} {Lola is} {is very}
{308813 18} {308814 18} {365722 18} {375246 18} {365724 18} {346618 14} {348903 14} {308815 14} {333656 14}

Synopsis I Will Not Never Ever Eat a Tomato: Children's animation series. Lola will not eat tomatoes, mushrooms or peas, so Charlie invents some food facts to make them more appealing.
{Never Ever} {Lola will} {so Charlie} {to make}
{308813 4} {348907 4} {318471 4} {180457 4} {375245 4} {180459 4} {365727 4}

Synopsis I'm Really Ever Not So Well: Children's animation. Charlie has promised Marv that he will play football with him, but poor Lola has a very nasty cold and is stuck in bed. [AD,S]
Episode s2e19 - Please May I Have Some of Yours? (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Lola and Charlie are going to the zoo. Lola has a known problem with saving things for later and manages to eat her lunch before lunchtime and use up for photos before she gets to photograph what she really wants. When Lola starts borrowing Charlie's things, Charlie is patient. When Charlie is left without what he wants because of Lola's borrowing, Lola realizes that her not saving things is inconsiderate of others.
{Lola has a} {Charlie has} {that he} {he will} {football with} {Lola has} {has a} {a very} {cold and} {and is} {stuck in}
{308804 18} {308808 14} {308807 14} {346619 14} {308817 14} {308798 12} {308810 8} {348900 8} {308802 8}

Synopsis I'm Really, Really, Really Concentrating: Children's animation with the brother and his little sister. It is Lola's first school sports day and she enters the egg and spoon race. [AD,S]
Episode s1e5 - It's a Secret... (Charlie and Lola/75933)
It's Charlie's birthday and his family and friends have prepared a special surprise for him. Lola has been let in on the secret and seems ready to let it slip at any time. Desperate to remain in the dark, Charlie shushes his little sister and tries hiding, but it still seems like she's bound to let it slip. Charlie comes up with an imaginative plan to keep his surprise from being spoiled.
{with the} {and his} {his little} {It is} {sports day} {day and} {and she} {the egg}
{308806 12} {333657 8} {180463 8} {346624 8} {180457 4} {180458 4} {375251 4} {346623 4} {346621 4}

Synopsis I've Won, No I've Won, No I've Won: Animation series about a pair of siblings. Lola simply has to win all of the time. Will she think differently when she's beaten in a race? [AD,S]
Episode s1e22 - I Must Take Completely Everything (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Lola is going on a trip to her friend Lotta's. She's a heavy packer and wants to take all sorts of things, despite Charlie's insistences that all of the stuff won't fit and that she needs to get going. Lola eventually reaches Lotta's, but then realizes that she left her stuff at home. She and Lotta come up with an imaginative new way to play their Cinderella game, while Charlie and Marv use their imaginations to come up with a solution after their toy car racing plans are initially spoiled by a piece of missing track.
{a pair of} {all of the} {about a} {a pair} {pair of} {has to} {to win} {all of} {of the} {Will she} {she think} {when she's} {in a}
{308811 14} {375247 14} {308809 12} {348907 8} {318471 8} {375248 8} {348903 4} {333657 4} {348904 4}

Synopsis Snow is My Favourite and My Best: Children's animation with brother and sister Charlie and Lola. Lola wakes up to find that the world is covered in a blanket of white snow. [AD,S]
Episode s3e14 - Help I Really Mean It (Charlie and Lola/75933)
Granny and Grandpa's cat, Caspar, has come to stay with Charlie and Lola. Lola loves looking after Caspar but keeps calling for Charlie's help. Lola and Lotta think that it's quite fun calling for Charlie and watching him come running. Fun, that is, until Caspar gets stuck up in the sky and Lola and Lotta really need Charlie's help.
{Charlie and Lola. Lola} {Charlie and Lola.} {and Lola. Lola} {Lola wakes up} {find that the} {Snow is} {Charlie and} {and Lola.} {Lola. Lola} {Lola wakes} {wakes up} {up to} {to find} {find that} {that the} {in a} {of white}
{365722 32} {333656 18} {375248 14} {346618 12} {346624 12} {308803 8} {308797 8} {365724 8} {375247 8}

Synopsis Bags of Bags: Animation. Scarf Lady has misplaced Bag in the big shop, so Sarah and Duck help with the search. Also in HD. [AD,S]
Episode s1e38 - No More Wool (Sarah & Duck/267108)
Scarf Lady has run out of wool so Sarah and Duck help her to harvest the weeping woollen tree.
{so Sarah and Duck help} {so Sarah and Duck} {Sarah and Duck help} {Scarf Lady has} {in the big} {the big shop,} {so Sarah and} {Sarah and Duck} {and Duck help} {Scarf Lady} {Lady has} {in the} {the big} {big shop,} {so Sarah} {Sarah and} {and Duck} {Duck help} {with the}
{4712398 74} {5017987 32} {4962558 18} {4633951 18} {5113094 18} {4512098 18} {4506104 18} {5024980 18} {4529902 18}

Back