Thinking of swapping from FVP5000T to DTR-T2000... the grass is always greener on the other side!

Noodles

Hi, first time poster, please be gentle :)

After reading various posts, it seems there are numerous folk swapping the other way, but I'm on my second 5000T in 4 months, and this one's going south now, and I'm done with it. First one was sluggish and had serious heat issues, replacement is now locking up on a daily basis (tried resets, but we always end up locking up again). The box is behind the tv, so there's more than a little frustration caused by waiting 15-20 seconds before HDMI-CEC kicks in and turns the tv on (the AV amp as well on random occasions), if the tv doesn't turn on, wondering if you were a bit slack pointing the remote, trying again, waiting again, moving the tv out of the way, trying to peer at the downward facing LED to see if it's gone blue, seeing it's red and locked up again, fiddling around to pull the power lead out and in again, putting everything back in place, and eventually getting a picture up and running 5 minutes after I picked the remote. First world problems, I know, but my daughter needs to know what Peppa Pig is up to, and doesn't get why daddy is contorting himself into weird shapes behind the telly yet again. When it's running, the whole user experience is generally pretty awful. Not absolutely shocking, just awful. Don't get me started on that, though... I just needed a little rant to get it out of my system and provide some context!

Ironically, we upgraded from an ancient TalkTalk YouView box which was lagging badly after the next gen update so we figured an upgrade to a shiny new STB would be snappy and fantastic. Note to self - spend longer reading user reviews than press reviews!! Got the old box out of the loft yesterday after deciding it's the lesser of two evils, but it's given up the ghost. Swapped the HDD, stuck on maintenance screen, so I can concede that it's end of life. It did us proud while it lasted.

So, finally, would my experience - and more importantly my family's experience - be better with the T2000? There seems to be some reliability issues, but hey, I'm already on that bus, and I might strike it lucky and get a good box! Always got the warranty as well.

A) What's the boot up time like?
B) How long does it take to get a wake-up signal to the TV?
C) Does the remote control the TV volume or the volume output from the box?
D) Any YouView alternatives out there worth considering over this?

Any feedback and warnings/reassurances welcome!

Strikes me as a little bonkers that we've got a little Samsung TV in the bedroom, nothing fancy, but that turns on and is into the EPG in around 4 seconds and is responsive and lively, but so many dedicated STBs seem to suffer from poor responsiveness and laggy interfaces. Maybe...

E) Can I hack this thing and upgrade the RAM, overclock it and add watercooling?

Looked at some videos on YouTube, and it seems ok, so don't think E will come in to play :)

Last edited:
D) Any YouView alternatives out there worth considering over this?
I would also suggest you have a serious look at the HDR-Fox T2 with the customised firmware. You cannot get new boxes these days, but can pickup up decent examples via auction sites etc. If your TV does not have catchup/Netflix/Amazon etc then you could also add a Now TV/Roku or Amazon stick.

I would also suggest you have a serious look at the HDR-Fox T2 with the customised firmware. You cannot get new boxes these days, but can pickup up decent examples via auction sites etc. If your TV does not have catchup/Netflix/Amazon etc then you could also add a Now TV/Roku or Amazon stick.
Aye, seems like that's the holy grail of boxes, I'll have a proper look at it. There's a fair selection out there on various sites so easy to get hold of one still. Usability is top of the list, so hopefully it ticks all the boxes.... I'm happy with a table full of remotes and a folder full of apps, but my wife just wants one remote, and she doesn't want to talk to it!

she doesn't want to talk to it!
Absolutely! Even in my solitary household, I don't expect to exercise my voice and talk to devices. A mate of mine, on the other hand (15 years my junior)...

I'm sure it doesn't work in a multiple occupancy!

Back