Thumbnails - any configuration?

My understanding is that you can access a Humax in two ways (from a Windows machine)
There is at least one other main way to access your Humax i.e. Telnet, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and although it does a bit more, that is about it, it copies files to from your Humax. Telnet on the other hand actually 'logs-in' to your Humax and allows you to control its functionality in every respect

Last edited:
There is at least one other main way to access your Humax i.e. Telnet

- lol, i had forgotten that method to be honest.
I'm from a non-computing background so using commands is way beyond me, but yes - i stand corrected
wink.png

...ive edited the post with: via FTP

thanks again

Last edited:
If it's not too presumptuous, a moderator/member of staff can use this post to update the FTP section for clarification if need be?
What FTP section? You mean the Glossary section on FTP?? Who do you think wrote it!

The reason for my clarification request is what you said in post 133: "my mistake was to ftp into the box via the web browser (effectively accessing the Webif)" - that makes no sense, because the normal communication protocol used by a web browser, and what is served up by the web browser request for access, it HTTP not FTP.

An FTP client (including Windows Explorer) will specifically request FTP access to a device at the given IP address on the network, and the FTP server (presuming it is turned on, in the case of the HDR-FOX) responds to the FTP access requests by reporting on the directory listing or handling file transfers. A web server however does not respond to FTP requests - it responds to HTTP requests from a web browser, and serves up web pages in HTML (or whatever) for the browser to interpret and present to the user in text and graphics.

You must use the right terminology if you expect to be understood, or at least not queried about what you mean. Reading through the Glossary would be a good start.

I'm a new member so with respect i don't know who wrote it - and i don't care, i'm merely trying to help others like me who aren't computer whizz kids or have the same level of knowledge and understand of the Humax product as yourself, and the Linux system overall. It would be a true statement that most (normal like myself) users out there are familiar with 'Windows' broadly speaking.

If it's wrong of me to write posts/correct/ask probing questions where necessary, then i apologies and i ask that a statement be made upon joining this forum/website!

If i've got your back up in some way (judging by the amount of !!!! and ???? in your message) then please ignore anything i post in future, it's NOT aimed at you and you should not reply to them if you feel passionately against anything i write. I think i'm being very fair making that statement, as i think it's completely unacceptable talking to a 50 year man with a very limited amount of tech knowledge but a whole lot of passion for helping others - if you disagree then that's your prerogative sir.

FYI. i started out reading these topics/threads before actually joining/signing up to gauge a feel for how users/members interact with one another, and found a lot of people asking questions on here that i wanted to ask - I subsequently joined myself so i could ask those same questions/clarifications/suggestions to help others out there who aren't members - isn't that the whole point in this website in the first place?

If i had wanted a rational for you asking for the clarification request in the first place then i would accept everything you just wrote, but i did not, and i proceeded (in the hope) of giving you the answer you were looking for. I have absolutely no problem in you or anyone challenging me now or in the future, but to pick holes and nit-pick my clear and concoise reply was foolish and unwanted, plus serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things.

I hope this is the end of the matter, and i also hope with good will, we will both still be able to communicate in a professional manner with the sole purpose of helping others who do not posses the knowledge and tools that experts have.

The reason for my clarification request is what you said in post 133: "my mistake was to ftp into the box via the web browser (effectively accessing the Webif)" - that makes no sense, because the normal communication protocol used by a web browser, and what is served up by the web browser request for access, it HTTP not FTP.

In response:
- it makes no sense to YOU but a whole lot of sense to me and i suspect the vast majority of people who use Windows. You should give allowances to 'new members' who possibly might not be as well versed in jargon/linux commands as you are.

- i beg to differ anyway - from a Windows user, the term 'to ftp' is well established from all the dozens of threads/topics i've read over the last year or so on this site (otherwise where else did i get the phrase from?). Forgive me for saying but you shouldn't be so pedantic; try to use common sense also - we're not all computer politically correct! I would wager that to the layman 'to ftp' is just a general term anyway. If i'm wrong i stand corrected.

- i also spent time clarifying your original question (in post #138) by explaining in simple terms the different access methods "via ftp" (the phrase), and to also challenge some of the remarks about access:- it is said on the "Wiki" page to enter: ftp://192.***.*.*** into Internet Explorer..... this is actually false, as i tried and it didn't work - hence my explanation in post #140. You enter: ftp://192.***.*.*** in windows 'File Explorer' address bar to access the whole file structure (for foxy'ing purposes etc). You enter the http:// version into a web page (URL bar) - again the "Wiki" article was not clear about that.

You can lead a horse to water...

I am not responsible for any information that does not carry my avatar. You can draw your own conclusions as to which sources to trust the most, and you might find it instructive to read the information linked to below each of my posts. Certainly you will find the details for FTP and Telnet (et al) explained, and there is little need to have it repeated.

You have admitted you are not from a computing background, so I don't understand where this lecture is coming from. I am simply explaining (apparently to deaf ears) that FTP is not used to access web pages (including the WebIF), so saying that you FTPed into the WebIF is a contradiction in terms and therefore liable to query. It is (or was) not a criticism, merely a correction and an education.

Wikis are written and edited by anybody who feels like it, regardless of their knowledge or ability to express it. If you feel the wiki is in error, you are equally able to edit it, regardless of whether you are correct. That's why I don't.

Last edited:
Wikis are written and edited by anybody who feels like it, regardless of their knowledge or ability to express it. If you feel the wiki is in error, you are equally able to edit it, regardless of whether you are correct. That's why I don't.
As BH says you have a clear choice, on the one hand you have the Wiki contributed to by the whole of this forum, including many items written by af123 the main writer of the Custom Firmware or you have the world according to BH, you take your pick

As BH says you have a clear choice, on the one hand you have the Wiki contributed to by the whole of this forum, including many items written by af123 the main writer of the Custom Firmware or you have the world according to BH, you take your pick
That's unnecessarily biased language!
Nobody can force BH to put his material on the wiki but that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, I would say that articles written by BH are only editable by him and he makes mistakes / has gaps in his knowledge just like everyone else

Back