Timeshift not working.

Wallace

Traveler 34122
I have just noticed tonight that I cannot pause live TV. In truth, I cannot remember the last time I used this feature so I am not in a position to say when it stopped working.

All other functions work OK. I can pause the playback of recorded programmes no problem.

I have tried a power cycle, both soft and hard, but the issue remains.

This unit is NOT the one that came with 1.03.06 and it never has had that version installed/removed. It is running 1.02.32 plus the CF 2.19

Not sure if this is a CF related problem so I posted here. If wrong then feel free to move.

Any ideas folks?

But all other disk functions work? I can still record and play back etc Can it still be RO?

It is a bit clutching a straws but it wouldn't do any harm. The only other thing that springs to mind that stops pause working is the Time Shift bug detailed HERE, but that would be fixed by a re-boot or even a change of channel.

I have just entered Maint Mode and about to run Fixdisk.

Yes, as I said, the box works normally I.E. I can change channels, record, play and PAUSE recordings, just not LIVE TV.

The Hard Disk diag in the WebIf, doesn't show any reallocated /pending sectors etc and there is no problems with the picture, no stutter or pixellation.

EDIT: FixDisk running now...not sure how long it will take, but at this time of night it can take all night without causing me any grief from SWMBO.

No. I wasn't aware of that diagnostic, but thanks for the heads up.

However, I have just checked and fix-disk has completed. I have not had chance to read any logs yet, but rebooting the HDR back to 'Normal' has restored the Time Shift functionality.

I will report back later....

Thanks.

For reference: the enable_tsr command specifically reverses the effect of the disable_tsr command, which itself requires certain preconditions. I doubt enable_tsr would "cure" a TSR problem such as this (maybe the TSR partition went read-only?).

Well, what ever the reason, after running fix-disk, timeshift is now working again.

Here is a copy of the fix-disk log file:

Attachments

• fix-disk.txt
    81.2 KB · Views: 13
For reference: the enable_tsr command specifically reverses the effect of the disable_tsr command, which itself requires certain preconditions. I doubt enable_tsr would "cure" a TSR problem such as this (maybe the TSR partition went read-only?).
I agree, but I just chucked it in for the sake of those who might have forgotten that they disabled it at some point.

I agree. But Having run the diagnostic, TS works again. I am in the process of running fix-disk again as I write this. So far no problems have been found and it's currently 66.0% through pass 1 of sda2.

But for my sake, can you tell me why 'It's not good'. Has the file system been corrupted somehow? More importantly, what could have caused it and what could I do from preventing it happening again.

This is the first time I run fix-disk on this machine/HDD.

I will post the most recent log when it's finished running, but even to my untrained eye, I cannot see any problems at the moment. The previous run had the log file scrolling up the screen somewhat!

EDIT: Here is the latest and current fix-disk log file. The problems appear to have been corrected with the first run:

Attachments

• fix-disk.txt
    69.5 KB · Views: 3
But for my sake, can you tell me why 'It's not good'. Has the file system been corrupted somehow? More importantly, what could have caused it and what could I do from preventing it happening again.
It looks like it, yes. No idea of the cause but reboot without proper shutdown is usually a favourite.
Has it crashed or have you had a mains bump?
The previous run had the log file scrolling up the screen somewhat!
When my machine did it, it generated a 400k file. There were thousands of errors. Still worked normally though. I just ran a disk check in the name of "seeing what it did" and was horrified that it generated all those errors. No idea what the cause of my corruption was either.
Here is the latest and current fix-disk log file. The problems appear to have been corrected with the first run:
Yep.

It has not knowingly crashed. No power issues either that I am aware. As you have commented, the box was working 'perfectly, or so I thought. If it wasn't for SWMBO asking me to pause a live programme, I would still be none the wiser to the issue.

Anyway. I have now run fix-disk on all of my HDR's and only the one had errors.
Now I have a good reference point and can watch for any occurrence.

I propose to run fix-disk again next week.

Thank you for you help.

Back