transcode HD recordings

bth124

I've got a LG smart TV and also an LG DLNA bluray player.
Standard def files stream great to both.
But HD files, even decrypted, just dont seem to play.

Through the Humax streamer - TV picture is corrupt, Bluray player doesn't even recognize/play the files
Through mediatomb - both will play the file but there is no sound.
PS3 gives the same results.

.avi files work fine through both

So I was thinking I could transcode the HD files into avi files that can then be streamed from the hummy.
ffmpeg seems to be available - has anyone done this on HD recordings, and if so which parameters did you pass to ffmpeg?
Of is there a better way than ffmpeg - looking at the DLNA to Smart TVs there is a file called stripts to clean up the file. Is this all I need to do?

Have raised a new thread as I didn't want to clutter the DLNA one up.

Thanks

This is exactly the same problem as streaming to smart TVs. Might as well use the same topic.

By the way, the Humax doesn't have enough oomph to transcode video, all stripts (and shrink) does is remove extraneous data from the file to leave a clean stream. If your media players can't cope with it after that, they presumably do not have the necessary codec support.

Yes there are a few threads search dlna+tv or stripts (sorry on phone can't post them) but I also think the webif shrink+decrypt on folders has been tweaked recently to incorporate some of the stripts functionality - mad ian is they guy who came up with the stripts and af123 has an alternate approach

Regards

Damian

mad ian is they guy who came up with the stripts and af123 has an alternate approach

stripts is mine but the way it fixes DLNA files for playback on Smart TVs is based on work that adrianf26 did on the Foxsat. Drutt helped enormously too with his understanding of the way that nts files work.

My original approach used ffmpeg to copy the streams within the files.

The "by-product" was a file without the extra packets that confuses Smart TVs.

af123's solution is far more efficient and the credit is his and adrianf26.

I now use stripts as I couldn't get ffmpeg to work with HiDef files.

Making the DLNA fix part of the normal shrink process has caused problems for some people. Recordings don't fast forward, rewind or skip properly.
I've backed the change out for now until I have time to investigate.

Back