Transcoding on box

mrflibble

Hello,

Bought an hdr yesterday - looks good so far. However, the dlna support i bought it partly for doesn't allow me to play content upstairs on my Sony Bravia kdl-32v5500. I can see the files, but they won't play - i think it's only designed to do uncompressed mpeg2.

I figure i could probably write a bit of perl to run on a mac mini that copies off new recordings and trranscodes them in a format the bravia will play (can't see why this wouldn't work), but could i possibly do this on the box itself using the custom firmware? This would be a much neater solution.

I'm guessing that the CPU speed is pretty wimpy, which would be the main obsticle.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience on the subject?

Is there such a thing as a realtime dlna proxy, for on the fly transcoding?

Thanks!

Bought an hdr yesterday - looks good so far. However, the dlna support i bought it partly for doesn't allow me to play content upstairs on my Sony Bravia kdl-32v5500. I can see the files, but they won't play - i think it's only designed to do uncompressed mpeg2.
Sony TVs can't handle MPEG Transport Stream (.ts) files, which is what the HDR stores and streams, via DLNA. Transport Stream is part of the MPEG2 standard, same as is Program Stream which is what is used in .mpg files. My understanding is that the compressed video data is the same in .ts and .mpg files, it's the container format that's different and that's what the Sony can't handle via its DLNA client (though of course it handles MPEG Transport Stream just fine via its tuner).

I use Serviio on a linux box to transcode and stream SD to my Sony - decrypting the content first on the Humax then smbmount onto the linux box - sure you could do likewise on a mac mini. Don't think the Humax cpu will be fast enough to do any realtime transcoding and streaming. You just need hmt, a bit of a script and cron to automate decrypting on the box. Last time I tried HD serviio had a problem with the audio stream which could have been fixed via ffmpeg on the Humax as part of the decrypt script but not had time to look at that yet... Also ooh there is a new version of Serviio out

Further to this; I've found a bit of a neater solution for SD stuff that doesn't involve decrypting. Still use serviio but mount the Humax DNLA server onto my linux box using djmount ( http://djmount.sourceforge.net/ ) then add the mount point into Serviio - jobsa! works great with my Sony TV but I'd imagine you'd defo need proper ethernet between all the devices.

The HD sound problem will still exist but for this method we have to get HD content displayed to vanilla DNLA clients first...

Further to this; I've found a bit of a neater solution for SD stuff that doesn't involve decrypting. Still use serviio but mount the Humax DNLA server onto my linux box using djmount ( http://djmount.sourceforge.net/ ) then add the mount point into Serviio - jobsa! works great with my Sony TV but I'd imagine you'd defo need proper ethernet between all the devices.
That's interesting. I wonder if it is possible to get the HDR to mount its own DLNA server...

Later, not at the first attempt, it may need a bit of hackery.:) I can get it to mount other DLNA servers though.

Later, not at the first attempt, it may need a bit of hackery.:) I can get it to mount other DLNA servers though.

Likewise - it fails for me when it tries to add the device - the server on port 50001 closes the connection immediately when I connect from the Humax - works for connections from elsewhere on the network though.

Back