Transfer files from PC to Hummy

I have searched for a solution as to transferring files from PC to Hummy via Custom firmware. My XP computer will not transfer via FTP (filezilla) however my Windows 7 laptop will. As I do most of my work on the XP desktop I would prefer to use that machine to transfer my MKV files (having put them through Avidemux first). The XP machine sees the Hummies, there are 2, via the custom firmware interface and I had thought transferring that way was possible. I was sure I had seen it mentioned in one of the postings on here.
I have not yet added the CFW to the recently purchased Maplin offer HDR-Fox T2 but did change the remote control channel via information on the forums. All Humax machines are HDR-Fox T2.

I use FileZilla from my Vista laptop to put files onto my HDR Fox T2, this is the method I recommend. This doesn't even need custom firmare, the ftp server supplied by Humax works fine.

What goes wrong on your XP box? FileZilla really ought to work on it.

Does not connect but Webif does so that would seem to be the logical option. I connect to my NAS via a browser interface which is very easy to use.
I have switched off the firewall and virus software (which is the same as on the laptop) to no avail.

Does not connect but Webif does so that would seem to be the logical option. I connect to my NAS via a browser interface which is very easy to use.
I have switched off the firewall and virus software (which is the same as on the laptop) to no avail.

What error does FileZilla give? It's error display is pretty comprehensive. I suspect you have it installed or configured incorrectly on your XP box.

You have to log in to the HDR-FOX with Filezilla as 'humaxftp' with password '0000' - unless you have changed the password. I think it is the same one you use to access the installation menu on the Humax and four zeros is the default.
If Filezilla still does not work I would try a different FTP client. If you still can't get it to work, disable the Humax FTP server and install Betaftpd (Web-If package), logging in with the same username and password as above: you can also log in as 'root' to get root access. If still no joy, I'd use the custom firmware to set up Samba shares and access these with Windows Explorer.

FTP transfer between my XP laptop and the HDR-Fox T2 works in both directions, I don't use Filezilla but both WS_FTP_Pro and the built-in XP File Explorer FTP works fine

Thank you for the replies. Filezilla does work on my windows 7 laptop so it can work and my settings are the same for both PC's. What no one is answering is if I can transfer via the CFW browser interface.

The Humax has a built-in (or a Custom Firmware) FTP server, it does not have an FTP client so it can't initiate an FTP transfer, only respond to a request from an FTP client on your P.C. or something else running an FTP client

What no one is answering is if I can transfer via the CFW browser interface.

I don't know, I've never tried and I have no need to do so. I'm happy using FileZilla, especially since it can queue up multiple transfers and I can leav it chugging through them all.

What no one is answering is if I can transfer via the CFW browser interface.
Yes you can copy through the 'Browse Media Files' section of Web-If, but only formats the Humax recognises. You only have the option of copying all the files for a particular programme (TS plus sidecars), you can't copy the TS over on its own. Also the drive you are transferring to needs to be mounted as an SMB or NFS share.
However, in Web-If>'Browse Media Files' if you click on the 'Opt+' button next to a recording there is a download option. If you select this, as long as the file is in the DLNA index and is not protected, it will decrypt on the fly and download to device running the browser: you only get the TS file. I tried this with an mp4 file too but it plays in the browser window rather than downloading (on Android Firefox). I presume how it behaves depends on how your browser is configured.

Edit. OK, so the second method above is no use for a PC to Hummy transfer (works for Hummy to PC). The first method will work but you will need to share the source folder in Windows and then mount this as a share on the Humax using Network Shares Automount (NSA) and associated packages. This is not as difficult as it first may appear. Look in the NSA thread, the Wiki and Black Hole's guides for more info. Once it is set up you should be able to transfer files using Web-If. If you only want to use Windows Explorer you can simply share the destination folder on the Humax as an SMB share and map this folder in Windows. You will still need NSA etc. to do this.

Last edited:
Many thanks "MontysEvilTwin" for your confirmation of the possibility of file transfer apart from FTP.
I already have NSA in use to enable access to both of my HDR machines by the HD machine. An SMB (Samba?) file mount will do the job and I will research that. As you say it is not that complicated and I am kicking myself for not realizing that option having set up NFS previously.
Your help is much appreciated.

If you want to browse the Humax as a network mount on your PC all you need is the samba package installed. NFS is the wrong file system for Windows - you need SMB (ie samba). You will then need to set up a network mount on your XP PC specifically to the IP address of the Humax, then you will be able to manage the Humax files within Windows Explorer.

I don't understand why FTP doesn't work, there's no reason it shouldn't (with either FTP enabled in the Humax menus or the betaftpd package installed - but not both). There has to be something wrong with your XP system.

But my XP system can access all 3 Humax machines via the Custom Firmware. Undoubtedly there is a problem somewhere but I do not intend to spend a lot of time looking when I have a method of doing exactly what I want as pointed out in post no. 10
I can use FTP on my laptop and can transfer the files to that machine if needed but there is an easy alternative.

BH is correct. If you have installed the Samba package on the HDR-FOX in question, and the service is running, shared folders on this machine should be visible on Windows PCs. Folders such as 'My Video' are already set up as default shares in the configuration files: you can edit these through the Web-If file editor if you want additional folders to be available. Do map your chosen shared Humax folder on the Windows machine for reliability. The other packages I mentioned (NSA etc.) are needed if you want to mount a shared folder from one HDR-FOX on another.

network-shares-automount is for making any network storage external to the Humax accessible from the Humax - not just storage on another Humax. However, as stated, it will not help a PC "see" the files that are on the Humax.

I have installed samba and have transferred the files from my PC to my Humax HDR. The files were a series of programmes I had missed and were in the mkv format. I had to re-do them via mkvmerge and then Avidemux. They are now loaded onto the HDR and playable.
Thanks for the relevant information.

Back