transfer from HDR Fox T2

timpars

I have recently purchased an FVP 5000 T and would like to transfer the remaining recordings from my old HDR Fox T2.

Is this possible and if so what is the best way?

Export the HDR-FOX recordings to a USB drive, then plug the drive into the 5000T.

There are a few wrinkles with this, particularly HiDef recordings, but there are ways around them which we can instruct you about if you decide to go ahead.

Another way is to keep the HDR-FOX and have both units on your home network, and stream the recordings from one to the other.

There is a good market for second-hand working HDR-FOXes, so don't bin it.

I was thinking of 'upgrading' to a 500T from my old FoxT2 as the 2TB version is only £139 (click and collect) at Argos. Once I carried out a custom system update (helpfully suggested through this forum) on my T2 the noisy fan/HDD (not sure which it was) was fixed and the box seems to run fine. Shall I just keep the T2 (which I must have had for at least 8 or 9 years) or would it be worth getting the 500T?

Newbie here, spotted this thread, and considering doing much the same (buying an FVP-5000T and transferring recordings from a HDR-FOX T2). Starting with getting the files off the FOX T2, and having looked at this thread (items 5 and 12) it seems all is not totally simple:o_O:. I'd like to know I've got it somewhere right before I start messing with it, can anyone spot any errors? AFAICT the sequence is (I have Win 10 computers):

1. Find a big enough USB drive (I have about 150 GB of recordings I would want to keep, no problem: I have a spare 250 GB external hard drive.)

2. Per item 12 of said thread ("quirk in the OPT+ copy operation"), there needs to be double the drive space of the (each?) recording being copied. Am I correct to assume this is per-recording copied, not total recordings size, i.e. if I have a single 3.5 GB recording .ts file (plus its 3 .xyz files) but only 2 GB left it won't copy correctly, but if there is say 8 GB left, it will. i.e. it doesn't mean that if I have 100 GB of recordings I need the drive to be bigger than 200 GB

3. As the FOX can't write to NTFS, and none of the files I need to copy are individually larger than 4GB nor are they HD, (and I don't really want or need to mess with Ext2/3 nor at present the custom software), format the drive as FAT32 (in Win 10).

4. Plug in drive and use the OPT+ button to copy files to the USB drive (to a new folder). Am I right I assuming this cannot be done in bulk and is by entering the Media display and using OPT+ for each folder or individual recording.

5. This will copy all files and decrypt them on the way (as they are not HD), with all the necessary .ts .hmt .nts and .thm files. They will play on a Win 10 machine, and Lo! we also have a backup of our Classic Programmes :)

I assume that copying these over to the FVP-5000T is much simpler, i.e. plug in USB drive, and use same copy/move function into the new PVR's disc.

Can anyone spot anything I've got wrong? Thanks. I've pretty much tested it thus far with a small file using a USB stick and SFSG, I think.

[Why go to a 5000? That's for another thread, I have read all the warnings]

Thanks in advance

Am I correct to assume this is per-recording copied
Yes.

Am I right I assuming this cannot be done in bulk
No, it can be done in bulk: copy a whole folder, or mark recordings/folders using the red button. The problem is the transfer sometimes breaks, and the more you try to transfer in one go the more likely it is to break.

I assume that copying these over to the FVP-5000T is much simpler, i.e. plug in USB drive, and use same copy/move function into the new PVR's disc.
I have doubts the existing sidecar files are compatible with the 5000T (somebody will confirm), so decrypted HDR-FOX recordings will only play as imported TS and not as if native 5000T recordings.

Can anyone spot anything I've got wrong?
I think you are reasonably on the money, but using "standard" facilities is going about it the hard way. More info here (meant for transferring between HDDs, but also applicable to your situation if you read between the lines), see "Access to the Existing Recordings on the Old Drive": HDR-FOX HDD Replacement

Please don't bin your HDR-FOX. If you don't want it, there is a market for it in working condition or as spare parts: https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/what-to-do-with-a-dead-or-unwanted-hdr-fox-hd-fox-or-dtr-t1000.8419/

4. Plug in drive and use the OPT+ button to copy files to the USB drive (to a new folder). Am I right I assuming this cannot be done in bulk and is by entering the Media display and using OPT+ for each folder or individual recording.
You can select everything and leave it to copy. How reliably that works depend on the USB to SATA converter.
Not so easy on the FVP; you only need the .ts file and you can only put them in a Download folder; see page 24 of the FVP manual.

Thank Black Hole and Martin.

Using the Downloads folder on the FVP is probably not a problem since it in effect hives them off as if "archived", currently they're in various "To Keep" folders. I'll take a look at the HDD Replacement article.

I am veering back away from the FVP to using an old laptop for iPlayer and Netflix, HDMI'd to the telly, with wireless keyboard which were two of the reasons SWMBO wanted to upgrade. I'm slightly doubtful as to the long-term viability of in-built App players since the T2 has seen its YouChoob and iPlayer apps go AWOL, and HUMAX don't seem to have a terribly good track record in keeping up with the many changes by the supply parties (understandably imho)

Anyway, great forum and will scour it as needed. Thanks for the helps again

I'm slightly doubtful as to the long-term viability of in-built App players since the T2 has seen its YouChoob and iPlayer apps go AWOL, and HUMAX don't seem to have a terribly good track record in keeping up with the many changes by the supply parties (understandably imho)
Humax have released a Beta version of software for the HDR-FOX T2 that gets iPlayer working again.

Back