Transfer HD FOX T2 recordings to HDR FOX T2?

lstar337

Been out of the loop here for a long time because the custom firmware 'just works' so well, but I have a question.

I have been using a HD FOX T2 with an external HDD in the bedroom to compliment my HDR FOX T2 in the lounge, but I recently got given another HDR FOX T2 for free and want to use that in the bedroom.
I thought that I could just plug the external HDD from the HD FOX T2 into the new HDR FOX T2, transfer the files using the copy function, and carry on with the HDR FOX T2 where the HD FOX T2 finished.
I guess I was wrong because all I get from both the copied files, and the original recordings still on the external HDD is a message saying "This channel is scrambled or unavailable" whenever I initiate playback.
My guess is that the recordings are encrypted and need the keys from the HD FOX T2 to play. Bummer.
All my recordings on the box in the lounge are decrypted by the custom firmware, but I don't know if this is possible with the HD FOX T2.
I think both the HD and HDR FOX T2's are on custom firmware of some revision, but I'll have to look to see which.

So can I get my recordings across, or will I be stuck with the HD FOX T2 untill the recordings are all watched?

For a start, update your custom firmware: at least on the HDR-FOX. It is now possible to decrypt on the HD-FOX but it is slower, especially so using the native encryption key.
The easiest way to transfer your recordings is to first work out the encryption key of the HD-FOX. This is based on the serial number and MAC address which you can get from Webif: search this forum for how to do this. Then, through Webif, give your HDR-FOX the same encryption key temporarily. Note that existing encrypted recordings won't play while you do this. Then plug the hard drive from the HD-FOX in to a USB port on the HDR-FOX. Check that the HD-FOX recordings now play on the HDR-FOX. If they do then you can copy the HD-FOX recordings to the HDD of the HDR-FOX using the Humax remote control. They will copy and decrypt on the fly. When you are done you can change the encryption key back, if you like. If you have two networked HDR-FOX units it is useful to give both the same key. Then you can play across the network without having to use DLNA or decrypting first.
EDIT: you can obtain the encryption key by using the method described in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

So,

Upgrade CF on both units first.
Obtain HD T2 encryption key.
Change HDR T2 encryption key to match.
Check files play from ext HDD.
Copy files across USB in usual way.

Addition steps
Find encryption key of lounge HDR T2
Change bedroom HDR T2 to match.

Although, I did have Foxlink (might not be the name) setup at one point, if that makes a difference.

Thank you so much!

So,

Upgrade CF on both units first.
Obtain HD T2 encryption key.
Change HDR T2 encryption key to match.
Check files play from ext HDD.
Copy files across USB in usual way.

Addition steps
Find encryption key of lounge HDR T2
Change bedroom HDR T2 to match.

Although, I did have Foxlink (might not be the name) setup at one point, if that makes a difference.
You just need the encryption key from the HD-FOX, there is no need to update the custom firmware if you are taking this unit out of service. Do the copying with the remote control handset: copying through Webif won't work.
Making the encryption key of both HDR-FOX units the same is not essential but is useful as it allows encrypted recordings to be played over a network share. You can make the encryption key on both HDR-FOX units something simple e.g. 32 zeroes. You don't have to use an existing key, but make sure all your recordings are decrypted first.

Last edited:
Wow. The custom firmware has come so far since I installed all those years ago. Thank you all for the hard work you have put in.

Wrong order?

I'm doing exactly as I was told above. Hardly my fault the box never had WebIf installed.

OK, so 3.13 is installed now and WebIf is being downloaded.
I have the MAC address of the HD T2, but I'm not sure where to find the serial number so i can figure out the encryption key.

OK thanks everyone. I put in what I thought the encryption key should be and the external recordings played fine.

Now I have the long task of copying them all across!

Back