Transfer recordings from FVP4000t to external drive to later upload to FVP5000t

gizz10

Hi
I have an FVP4000t which has developed a fault with the HDMI out connector. I am able to view my box ok using the component connector but the HDMI does not work. Done all the usual checks, tried new HDMI cables and tried on 2 diff TVs and issue is the same. The HDMI cables work fine with other equipment too. The box is still under warranty with Richer Sounds so I called them up and they said they would swap for a new FVP5000t, but I will lose all my recordings.
I would like to save the recordings in their original format to an external HDD which I can later upload onto the new 5000t box once I swap them over. Does anyone know the easiest, quickest way to do this. I have a 1TB box and my external drive is 3TB with plenty of space. I heard if you transfer HD recordings they will be converted to SD. I don’t want to watch them offline, just move them from the 4000 to the 5000 via external HDD.
I am not particularly savvy with technology so any assistance will be grateful received.
Thank you.

I heard if you transfer HD recordings they will be converted to SD.
I don't know whether that is precisely true, but it could be.

I don’t want to watch them offline, just move them from the 4000 to the 5000 via external HDD.
I am not particularly savvy with technology so any assistance will be grateful received.
There is a problem with encryption. HiDef recordings made with one unit cannot be transferred and played on another unit because they are encrypted with a key unique to each unit. This is to enforce the agreement PVR makers have with broadcasters. "P" as in "Personal", ie recordings made on the unit stay on the unit.

It's only telly. Just bite the bullet and put it down to experience.

I don't know whether that is precisely true, but it could be.

There is a problem with encryption. HiDef recordings made with one unit cannot be transferred and played on another unit because they are encrypted with a key unique to each unit. This is to enforce the agreement PVR makers have with broadcasters. "P" as in "Personal", ie recordings made on the unit stay on the unit.

It's only telly. Just bite the bullet and put it down to experience.
Thanks.

I am able to view my box ok using the component connector but the HDMI does not work.
A possible alternative is to get the unit repaired. There is a good chance it is simply a broken solder connection from the HDMI socket to the PCB. However, finding out will almost certainly invalidate the warranty so you have to decide whether the content you are trying to save is worth the risk.

I would like to save the recordings in their original format to an external HDD which I can later upload onto the new 5000t box once I swap them over. Does anyone know the easiest, quickest way to do this. I have a 1TB box and my external drive is 3TB with plenty of space.

I heard if you transfer HD recordings they will be converted to SD.
No that is not correct; it is true for the later Humax Aura but not for the FVP-4000/5000 boxes (as far as I know). The HD recordings will not be playable on the new box because of the encryption.

To move the recordings, first plug in the USB storage device then access the list of recordings, move the hi-light to a recording you want to copy, press the "+" button and you should see a blue square with a somewhat cryptic device name appear, press OK and you should see a message about copying recording in the top right corner. If my memory server me correctly, you will find the copied recordings in a folder on the USB storage called ".recordings". Note the leading . which means the folder is hidden on devices using Linux as the operating system, You may want to use a Windows computer to remove the "." at the start of the folder name. My advice is don't immediately select a lot of recordings, try one or two at a time and find out how long the take to copy; it certainly won't be quick.

A possible alternative is to get the unit repaired. There is a good chance it is simply a broken solder connection from the HDMI socket to the PCB. However, finding out will almost certainly invalidate the warranty so you have to decide whether the content you are trying to save is worth the risk.
Yeah. I had thought that Richer Sounds would try to repair it but they said it’s not cost effective in these units so they will just replace it. I’m trying to watch the important recordings in the next week before I take it in. I think I’ll just take the new box, at least I know it will be protected another 6 years if I buy the extended warranty.

Back